🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
3.5" of closed cell foam sprayed in instead of fiberglass:
sprayedin_zps0bb0f04c.jpg

I also at the same time re-did the electrical in the attic to put a fan in the room. Whoever previously did the electrical in my house was a total hack.

I'm in the middle of a complete gut and refinish of my parents basement that I'll get some pictures of later....

Curious to see how much the spray foam set you back? Thinking of having it done myself

Here's my submission: Man Cave Renovation

This:
before6-1.jpg

To This:
2012-12-24175500.jpg

2012-12-24175526.jpg

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Curious to see how much the spray foam set you back? Thinking of having it done myself.

It is right around $1 per square foot. That was the Foam it green 602 kit which covers 600 square feet. The kit was like $600, comes with all the accessories like the tyvek suit and all that stuff.

I have my home thermostat set to 69* and just checked the wall temp with my fluke infrared and its 67.8* wall temp. The other bedroom along that same wall that I haven't sprayed (yet) had a wall temp of 54.2*

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I'll have to post up my projects later. Hopefully I still have pics of the dining room I tore down and remodeled. The walls were plaster (house was built in the early 1900's) that made a huge dust cloud. (and I did use the mask with replaceable cartridges). Redid the electrical lines as well as add a few more outlets, added a track light above the bay window, changed the switches (used a dimmer w/on_off for the track lighting), sanded and stained the original hardwood floors as well as seal it, put new molding (wanted to use the original but I couldn't get all the pieces off the wall in one piece prior to tearing down the walls), and I replaced the thermostat with an all digital flush mount Honeywell one. Oh, and changed the light fixture (but will replace it once again with something better after everything else is done).

I also hung new drywall in the living room, going to add crown molding, change the light fixture, sand and stain the floor, change the outlets with newer ones, take down the door leading to the hallway and sand and stain it a better color.

While I'm working on the living room, I'm also working on one of the bedrooms. I already opened up the wall on one side and had to use 2x4s to be able to support the TV I will mount once everything is painted and done. I will be adding carpet to that room.

Also on the list is the other bedroom (on the ground floor) as well as the kitchen and maybe a few things here and there in the bathroom.

Btw-anybody know of appraisers for stamps? I found a 2 cent stamp from the early 1900s in great condition albeit with a small rip. I also found an old newspaper from September of 1904. Lol.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I also plan on spraying my attic, however, that's last on my list. I pretty much finished my living room (remodeling) and but do need final touches. I need to wall mount my TV over the fireplace, need to install crown molding for the ceiling and run speaker wire around the room but make it remain hidden. Then it just needs the decor.

I'm still working on the 2 bedrooms which are almost done. One just needs carpet and the other needs to be taped and mud, painted, and new carpet. Then all that is really left is the kitchen.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Installed some laminate flooring after work today. I'm doing my kitchen and dining room tomorrow through Friday, so I figured our little entry way would be great practice working with the material. It's 12mm handscraped with 3mm pad attached. Lumber liquidators FTW!!!! It's amazing for being a "new" house (like 9 years old) how out of plumb the walls are! The undercut saw helps a fuckton solve that problem.

The before shot after I peeled the vinyl and removed the 1/4 round
be7cafcaf3e5cab0b7af39f07775ff18_zps2d8a46de.jpg

During
9f0b47cffea72a8b0bc8cfa5cd828f05_zps047e0cd0.jpg

Done!
01af93c8c748438d0d71f2c73f75363d_zpsef57be60.jpg

Thread Info