🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
The room under our stoop has long been a pain in my ass.
It's a cinder block room, the ceiling of which is the bottom of our poured stoop and it used to have a very tight fitting door.
As one can imagine, this made it a very moist area with the temperature differential.
With the lack of airflow it created a mold haven. Especially with us not going in there but once or twice a year.
So, with the remodel and refinish of our basement I decided to do something more permanent for this problem.
First, I paid a crew to come tear the shitty old OSB ceiling out, no pics, but it was nasty, covered in mold.
Then I scraped the walls down and scrubbed it all up purty. Followed that with a couple coats of Kilz

To allow the room to breathe and vent moisture I opted for a set of custom barn doors.

PXL_20230103_134146974.jpg

Then I cleaned up some 1*4 and trimmed the base.
That brings us to about here.

PXL_20230103_132236048.jpg

Today I plan on continuing to seal the gap around the top of the cinder block then paint everything to match.

Next step is to get wifey some wine racks to put on that shelf and all her boojie blue Ball jars.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The room under our stoop has long been a pain in my ass.
It's a cinder block room, the ceiling of which is the bottom of our poured stoop and it used to have a very tight fitting door.
As one can imagine, this made it a very moist area with the temperature differential.
With the lack of airflow it created a mold haven. Especially with us not going in there but once or twice a year.
So, with the remodel and refinish of our basement I decided to do something more permanent for this problem.
First, I paid a crew to come tear the shitty old OSB ceiling out, no pics, but it was nasty, covered in mold.
Then I scraped the walls down and scrubbed it all up purty. Followed that with a couple coats of Kilz

To allow the room to breathe and vent moisture I opted for a set of custom barn doors.

View attachment 146030

Then I cleaned up some 1*4 and trimmed the base.
That brings us to about here.

View attachment 146029

Today I plan on continuing to seal the gap around the top of the cinder block then paint everything to match.

Next step is to get wifey some wine racks to put on that shelf and all her boojie blue Ball jars.
Perfect cold room for wine and the like. Good shit.

Reactions: Jon01

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
5A66FAB6-BA55-4CD5-B914-BFAA557A0D70.jpeg

I installed this on Monday. Got it for Christmas along with a HD gift card to buy what I need to install it. there was an existing unit here but not working in many many years. Also tore out a ton of old framing around this ductwork. Next to pull a new 5 conductor line from the furnace to the thermostat. The green wire is broken somewhere in the cable.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Is that a humidifier? how hard was that to install?
Yup it is a humidifier. it can be a bit complicated because there is some ductwork, water line, and electrical involved. Have to install a 24v transformer somewhere and a relay that detects current in the blower to trigger the humidifier on. So it will require some basic knowledge of electrical.

Duct work is a 6” duct that you need to tie from the return to the hot side,

Water line will have to be run. In my case I used a sharkbite T fitting I had laying around from a previous project. Usually I’d use copper and put in a T and a shutoff.

it also has a drain. I tied mine into the existing pvc that runs into the floor drain.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
FIL actually bought me the digital humidistat version but I said fuck that once I saw the wiring. It ties into the t-stat wiring and needs a temp sensor installed outside. Wayy more complicated than I wanted to deal with so I bought a manual control instead.

Also going to install a needle valve in the water line to so less water goes down the drain line. The valve I used doesn’t have fine enough control to do it.

Reactions: GTPpower

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
This just showed up. It has to be installed in baes office/garage. 2 things about the business we didn't give much thought on was heating the trailer and the garage. Temperature sensitive stuff she has.

Plan is to run this off 100gal bottles until my new propane service is installed next year.
Screenshot_20230105-095015_Chrome.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
View attachment 146151

I installed this on Monday. Got it for Christmas along with a HD gift card to buy what I need to install it. there was an existing unit here but not working in many many years. Also tore out a ton of old framing around this ductwork. Next to pull a new 5 conductor line from the furnace to the thermostat. The green wire is broken somewhere in the cable.
If you’re going to pull a 5-wire, just run an 8 in case you need the extra conductors in the future.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This just showed up. It has to be installed in baes office/garage. 2 things about the business we didn't give much thought on was heating the trailer and the garage. Temperature sensitive stuff she has.

Plan is to run this off 100gal bottles until my new propane service is installed next year.
View attachment 146237

these things get knocked off by like every hvac brand in the world.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
View attachment 146151

I had what I believe is the same exact one installed a couple of years ago. Its useless as even turning it on #1 my windows in the house get soaked with moisture. I'm thinking its to damn big

Thread Info