🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Just level the ground and add a dog ramp on top of the stairs...it'll be easy they said....

Then you find the stairs sagging 1" when you go to raise it up, it falls apart where it attaches to the deck and the bottom piece that touches the ground was rotted to nothing....

:cautious:

20220809_200612.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The whole stairs except the skeleton ended up being rotted trash.

So...new stairs and temporary dog ramp built. All green treated ground contact wood. Going to stain the top and add an outdoor carpet top for grip and call it good.

Dog tested and approved :rofl:

Still need to add soil and level out the stairs for human usage though :rofl: the last ones sank quite a bit.

20220810_174501.jpg

20220810_190130.jpg

20220810_190036.jpg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
View attachment 130533
I installed a goggle nest doorbell today. Pretty easy and straight forward installation instructions. I was proud of myself until I had to add my wife and my boomer brain had reached its limits. Had to ask my kids for help. Somehow my son set her up under Google home. He must be a wizard.
Wow. Very impressed. *clap*

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Is your storm door bad or are you replacing due to color?
Color and design. The glass half portion that opens, slides up and is held in place by a pull tab that is right at kid eye height. When you pull it, if you aren't holding the top glass part, it falls freely and slams into the bottom.

So its more to avoid the inevitable shattered glass or smashed body part while also having it white instead of painting the aluminum or whatever metal it is made of.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
still debating replacing or painting windows
What type of windows do you have now? Are they multiple panes with UVA/UVB protection?

I had our windows replaced about a year ago. Went with Advanced Windows Corp, three panes on the back of the house where all the road noise comes from (County Farm), and double pane in the front. Also had them do the pet screening for the screens. Yeah, a little darker and more obstructive to look at/through, but I don't have to worry about any of cats tearing a hole in one and making an escape.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Thread Info