Bought my first Blackstone griddle-any advice?

frank

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling home in Sunny Florida - Sarasota area
The commercial grade cook tops have to be way different then say a blackstone. Commercial grade are running at the minimum of 10-12hrs a day and some places are 24hrs, the material used with those has to be able to withstand the use.

for me, I have cooked on the blackstone, and about 20 mins later to go clean it and it was still holding a good amount of residual heat, where it was enough to scrape, wipe down, and apply a thin layer of oil.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
The commercial grade cook tops have to be way different then say a blackstone. Commercial grade are running at the minimum of 10-12hrs a day and some places are 24hrs, the material used with those has to be able to withstand the use.

for me, I have cooked on the blackstone, and about 20 mins later to go clean it and it was still holding a good amount of residual heat, where it was enough to scrape, wipe down, and apply a thin layer of oil.

the commercial grade also likely run hotter i'd bet.

Z28Camaro

Addict
Donating Member
Reaction score
I looked around online a bit on some more commercial types of flat tops - not the giant ones that go in a big restaurant, but food service type ones that are similar sizes to the Blackstones. Looks like the tops can be cast iron or typical carbon steel as well as stainless. What I saw in a similar size and price range has a thickness of 8-10mm.

Blackstone.jpg

Hibachi.jpg

Similar to cooking a steak in a heavy cast iron pan, the thickness of the cooking surface equates to thermal mass and heat transferred into the food and can dramatically impact the final result. Not knocking the Blackstone griddles but the 1/8" thickness doesn't seem all that impressive to me nor does the heat distribution. Granted, the 2nd photo is a 25mm plate, but you can easily expect a significant cooking difference with the increased plate thickness beyond 1/8".

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
I looked around online a bit on some more commercial types of flat tops - not the giant ones that go in a big restaurant, but food service type ones that are similar sizes to the Blackstones. Looks like the tops can be cast iron or typical carbon steel as well as stainless. What I saw in a similar size and price range has a thickness of 8-10mm.

Blackstone.jpg

Hibachi.jpg

Similar to cooking a steak in a heavy cast iron pan, the thickness of the cooking surface equates to thermal mass and heat transferred into the food and can dramatically impact the final result. Not knocking the Blackstone griddles but the 1/8" thickness doesn't seem all that impressive to me nor does the heat distribution. Granted, the 2nd photo is a 25mm plate, but you can easily expect a significant cooking difference with the increased plate thickness beyond 1/8".
Yeah when I used my in laws I could definitely sense hot spots and cooler areas.

I do still want one though because for the money they can't be beat.

Z28Camaro

Addict
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I used my in laws I could definitely sense hot spots and cooler areas.

I do still want one though because for the money they can't be beat.

I'd like to get one too but I think I would end up modding it with a much thicker cooktop surface plate.

TS
TS
Great White Drake

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Reaction score
Why does it need a thicker surface? Just curious because mine cooks great. And a buddy had one for years it never disintegrated on him lol.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Looks like I'm buying a fridge instead of the Blackstone for now. Amy and I have been having words about our current fridge's lack of storage and she wants to get a new one my buddy has out in his shop. I'm getting everything but a Blackstone lately. LOL

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
How big do I "need"

This will be in addition to my summit charcoal... I keep leaning towards the smaller ones just cuz i don't want to fork over the bigger money.

Do I want or need a lid?

frank

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling home in Sunny Florida - Sarasota area
Lid is nice to have, cooking with it down, add some additional protection for the flat top, and when the lid is up it acts like backsplash.

size wise I have a pro series two burner 28” version, can cook a dozen burgers or so on mine, but most of the time im cooking for 4 on it, have ample room to cook two items at the same time and have room still.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
Lid is nice to have, cooking with it down, add some additional protection for the flat top, and when the lid is up it acts like backsplash.

size wise I have a pro series two burner 28” version, can cook a dozen burgers or so on mine, but most of the time im cooking for 4 on it, have ample room to cook two items at the same time and have room still.

alright, so im leaning towards that pro series 28" honestly and couldn't make my budget want to stretch for the larger one that's like 200 bucks more... especailly with my other charcoal grill which i prefer.

TS
TS
Great White Drake

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Reaction score
How big do I "need"

This will be in addition to my summit charcoal... I keep leaning towards the smaller ones just cuz i don't want to fork over the bigger money.

Do I want or need a lid?
The lid is necessary if storing it outside. Mine hooks to the back and blocks a ton of wind from blowing the burners out too. Also if I’m melting cheese I just drop it down for a minute.

Yaj Yak

Commander
Donating Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom