Bought my first Blackstone griddle-any advice?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
OH FUCK ME! NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM IN 10 years of living here. Been about a week since I used it and pulled the cover off a little mouse jumped from underneath where the burners are and skidaddled. Fuck this I don’t do well with wildlife. Check your shit guys
was this in your garage?

TS
TS
Great White Drake

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Reaction score
My buddy has the 3 burner 36”. Makes burgers and fries. Tasty as hell.

Ryan02Stang

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Pro tip.....take the metal griddle top off over the winter and store it in a shed or your garage or something. If you just cover it and leave it out over winter, you could end up with mouse shit on the griddle. Not a big deal, you can clean and burn it off....but definitely nasty.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Was thinking last night to come in here and ask, how has everyone that leaves it outside faired condition wise as summer has ended?

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
How thick is the material used for the cooking plate surface on these griddles?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My birthday is Friday and Christmas is coming so I'm looking at Blackstones and electric smokers. I need to decide which one I will use more frequently. They're completely different cook appliances but both are attractive. The griddle can cook so many things well including smash burgers and the electric smoker makes smoking no brainer easy. Push a couple buttons, replace water and wood chips as needed and sit back with a beer while the smoker does the work. A lot less time spent maintaining the proper temp than an offset smoker.

Amy says where are you going to put it?

Ryan02Stang

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
My birthday is Friday and Christmas is coming so I'm looking at Blackstones and electric smokers. I need to decide which one I will use more frequently. They're completely different cook appliances but both are attractive. The griddle can cook so many things well including smash burgers and the electric smoker makes smoking no brainer easy. Push a couple buttons, replace water and wood chips as needed and sit back with a beer while the smoker does the work. A lot less time spent maintaining the proper temp than an offset smoker.

Amy says where are you going to put it?

We have both and and use the Blackstone much more often. Do love the Masterbuilt electric smoker though.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, if I had more covered area on my lanai, I'd think about getting both. I already have 3 grills on the lanai and recently put my bullet smoker out by the curb because it was a hassle to use so it just sat outside rusting. Somebody garbage picked it in less than an hour.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
It’s a good thickness, retains heat very well and does not hot spot, heat is evenly dispersed.

I don't have a "good thickness" conversion chart or decoder ring - do you happen to know what the actual plate thickness is? I am asking not only about the areas you mention like hot spots or even dispersion, but more about being a heat sink that retains temperature when food is placed on it.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ok, interesting.

I have a colleague from Nebraska and his family had a store and diner in a small town. Was always talking about the food and the burgers. He was telling me about the flat top grill and when they eventually closed the place and moved it; said the cook top must have been nearly 1” thick. I was thinking about the heat retention of a piece of metal like that. Of course, it would take longer to heat up, but would also be interesting for how that retained heat could make some food cook differently.

I’d like to compare the commercial flat tops to the ones from Walmart. If the only difference is the thickness of the cooking plate, I would probably hack one of those and make my own cook top out of a thick chunk of commercial stainless. Just an idea anyway.

Top Bottom