Food / Drink Bought my first Blackstone griddle-any advice?

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
^^ I've got the same cover, but for the 28" and it's great.

Grill has been outside for over almost two weeks with a lot of rain and no signs of rust / anything getting inside. It's held up really well and been waterproof so far.
I'm not planning on getting a hard cover unless I come across a smoking deal on one.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Got it all seasoned up and broke the first cardinal rule don't cook bacon. Oops
Did bacon, chicken and burgers last night. Today did protein pancakes, French toast and eggs. All came out good but the lack of a shelf on the right side is annoying AF.
Do you use cooking spray or oil each time to prevent sticking? Had a little sticking today with using oil

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I do bacon on mine all the time just make sure you have a scraper to peel the gunk it leaves up and shove it in the grease trap. If it's stuck hard toss a little water on that spot while it's hot and it'll come right up. Make sure to get oil down on it again right after.

As far as oils get somethin with a high smoke temp. I've been a fan of this buttery extra virgin olive oil lately but the crisco or store brand vegetable oil is fine. Tried sunflower oil and wouldn't recommend it. Seems like it smokes at a real low temp and smells like you took a lighter to a sunflower. It's also kind of an odd taste to add to your food.

With chicken or other smaller meat what I do is chop it all up and then mix in a bunch of oil and seasoning and let it sit in the fridge for a while to soak it up before just tossing it on and stirring it around.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Got it all seasoned up and broke the first cardinal rule don't cook bacon. Oops
Did bacon, chicken and burgers last night. Today did protein pancakes, French toast and eggs. All came out good but the lack of a shelf on the right side is annoying AF.
Do you use cooking spray or oil each time to prevent sticking? Had a little sticking today with using oil
You always want oil or fat on the cooking surface. You also need the right temperature. You want it hot enough that when you add the protein steam from the protein causes the protein to have a barrier between it and the pan.

"A small amount of oil added to a very hot pan almost instantly becomes very hot oil. The oil quickly sears the outside of the food and causes water to be released from the food. This layer of water vapor ("steam") lifts the food atop the oil film and keeps it from touching the hot pan surface. If the oil is not hot enough, the steam effect will not occur and the food will fuse to the (too) cool pan surface."

Too hot is also a problem with protein sticking. It is a little bit of trial and error to get the burners set right for this. But once you get it and the "seasoning" builds up, it will become more non-stick.

Also, seems oil and some butter works better for many people. If you use butter, try clarified butter or Ghee. As it has a higher smoke point and doesn't turn brown as easily.

Reactions: S8ER01Z and sktchy

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I have the 36" 3 burner setup.

I usually put all 3 on full high, spray on a little water and do a fresh scrape.

I'll turn the burner to the temp I think is appropriate for the food I'm cooking. Chicken takes longer to cook than hamburger, so I'd have the burner low to medium depending on the situation. I use butter, oil (peanut a lot), or beef tallow. I think I use half heat a lot.

I like to clean it right after I finished cooking, so I'll pull the food off, turn the burners up, spray a lot of water and scrape it but try not to scratch off the oil / fat coating. More often than not I'll also use a rag or paper towels to wipe the surface. I don't leave crap on the griddle because we've seen evidence that mice might climb up in there. I use disposable grease traps and block off the drain area with a rag.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
those who have a blackstone what’s does your cooking surface look like? I have had mine for a some time but unsure what the cooking surface should look like.

Does mine need to be scraped and re-seasoned?

image.jpg

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mine looks like that. Some spots are so smooth and non-stick that I can fry an egg, some arent. Best to not overthink it. just scrape what you can every use using water to steam off any sugars and put light oil on it before you turn it off
Thanks!

I scrape clean and oil after every usage. Occasionally I will water / steam it clean depending on what I’m cooking.

I didn’t know if the cook top should look like a restaurant style, where it super slick and clean.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I guess I take for granted that I’ve been using carbon steel pans for many years before I had a blackstone. Honestly there’s nothing that you can do to “ruin” it. It’s just sometimes stuff with sugar will get sticky and melt onto the surface. Worst case you can always scrape it off and reseason, but it’s mostly unnecessary

Reactions: frank

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
You can’t put much on the side shelves or it’ll fry that shit too.
Found that out the hard way first time I used it. Lol

Had a plastic bottle of oil I say on the shelf for a few minutes. Went to grab it and had melted a hole straight through it. Been real careful with what I put on the shelf since then.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info