🔧 BUILD Boostie’s 1987 Notchback

General Information

I will hop on board in the build section here as I have been a member of TCG and big follower of sloppy on FB over the years.

Quick run down of my turd that I built completely out of my garage.

Basic SS2 don’t bs me style build for the engine on E85
Shiny Borg turbo
Th400 with PTC converter
Holley Terminator setup with 7” dash
Bunch of Low Dollar sensors and SEP injectors
On board air setup for boost control/airing tires
Lots of fancy un-needed suspension

Just got the car running recently but looking forward to this coming year. So far I’ve been doing the tuning on my own but may throw it on the dyno eventually

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

Quick clip when I was first setting up the simple stage

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Nice milestone, 500 miles street driving. I've done something similar, feels good.

Hey get this, my friend in NJ has the same build as me, very similar. He's been out racing it, has about 45 passes on it. Got to 8.8@154 but now is trying to figure out the suspension. Basically getting to a high 1.3 60 foot was not that hard, no surprise there but trying to a get a 1.30 has proved to be pretty hard. He's still leafs.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Been thrashing on this car and entered a few events lately. First up was MKE Real street takeover at GLD. This was my first unprepped event and I entered in the 26” class.

Unfortunately first round in my lane blew up and oiled down badly & every single car in right lane lost. Not much in my control but was a fun experience and got some sweet photos

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

You can hear my tires spinning all the way at the 1/8th [emoji28]

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Last weekend I took a stab at street wars also at GLD. I put the 28’s on and decided to take a stab at the 7.0 class. I’ve never bracket raced in my life but had a blast. In qualifying I went 6.89 & 6.929. Since qualifying was only based on reaction time, it didn’t matter that I was slightly too quick. For first round I drew my buddy who I was there with and went a 7.089 to his 7.071 with a margin of 0.0047 between us. Was a tough loss but he’s won every one of these events in the 7.0 that he’s entered so I think I did quite well. For the future I may consider a faster class as my car on gate pressure is too fast for this dial.

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

Since I got knocked out I was able to test and tune. This was my first time this year back on 28’s and I made some suspension setting changes. The car responded quite well! Sometime soon in the future I’ll be bringing the car to Legend racing to have the car scaled and all the bar angles and shock settings dialed in

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Did you have the car tuned?

I’ve done all the tuning on the car from the beginning. It’s running E85 and on low timing so assuming if the motor lets go it will probably be some sort of bottom end mechanical failure. So far everything seems happy in my datalogs and when I drive the car on the street it’s on much less boost than the track

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Have you ever pulled any plugs to verify stuff?
Yup, plugs pulled multiple times now. Also recently did a compression test and all cylinders were perfect and within 1-2psi of one another. Oil filters have been getting cut open and trans fluid has been checked a couple times now. So far everything has been good. I would like to put the car on a dyno soon to better understand WHP numbers based on boost but depending on timing and other factors a lot could change things. As of now I have a pretty good idea of what kind of trap speeds to expect based on the tune up as I probably have 30-40 passes on the combo now.

Reactions: Pro Stock John

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Been getting more and more seat time with the car and learning as I go. Have a new pair of 28’s and 26’s going on both sets of wheels I have and plan on racing in the 26” class at MKE next month. Have a lot planned for the car in the next few months.

If anyone is into it, subscribe to my YouTube channel I recently started. I will be recording stuff with the car, instructional videos and whatever else I come up with.

Thread Info