🔧 BUILD Boostie’s 1987 Notchback

General Information

I will hop on board in the build section here as I have been a member of TCG and big follower of sloppy on FB over the years.

Quick run down of my turd that I built completely out of my garage.

Basic SS2 don’t bs me style build for the engine on E85
Shiny Borg turbo
Th400 with PTC converter
Holley Terminator setup with 7” dash
Bunch of Low Dollar sensors and SEP injectors
On board air setup for boost control/airing tires
Lots of fancy un-needed suspension

Just got the car running recently but looking forward to this coming year. So far I’ve been doing the tuning on my own but may throw it on the dyno eventually

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

Quick clip when I was first setting up the simple stage

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Went to GLD last night with P PJx5x to take a second stab at shaking the car down. First pass I blew another coupler and after the second pass while adjusting some stuff I ended up breaking a t-bolt clamp on the throttle body. After an hour of peddling for parts, we ghetto rigged 2 clamps together to make 2 more runs before the track closed. Was the last car down the track last night on a lazy tuneup ramping to 17 psi it went 9.5 at 150. Hoping the weather holds out tomorrow to get my license passes done and then start throwing real boost at the car. Hoping to get a tune squared away to run close to the 8.50 cutoff for sick summer

First attempt was using string lights to make up the additional space for the larger clamp we got from someone which was a fail.

IMG-4534.jpg

Second attempt which is hard to see, we have the old broken clamp under the one we borrowed from someone. This held to get us two more passes before heading home

IMG-4577.jpg

Overall a bad night turned into a decent one. Hoping to eventually throw 30+lbs at the car and drop the 60 more

IMG-4568.JPG

IMG-4578.JPG

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Sorry your still battling it. I have good luck with breeze worm clamps, i use the 316 stainless, which can take a bit more torque when tightening being a harder metal. I havent had any issues with them even in the mid 20's. I get mine from Mcmaster carr

Pj sent me a link to the McMaster ones. I think when time allows we might weld a couple band clamps and upgrade the clamps/couplers that are left. The car saw 22-24psi last year with the exact cold side that is on it now so I’m starting to believe PJ with saying I let the magic out when I changed everything over the winter [emoji28]

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Pj sent me a link to the McMaster ones. I think when time allows we might weld a couple band clamps and upgrade the clamps/couplers that are left. The car saw 22-24psi last year with the exact cold side that is on it now so I’m starting to believe PJ with saying I let the magic out when I changed everything over the winter [emoji28]

Hopefully its just clamp issue. It could be a worn coupler too, if its sitting a bit loose. If i have something that is an odd size at a throttle body, i try to use a 1/4 down and stretch it over the t body, then once clamped, its down really tight. I keep a lot of vibrant couplers in stock if you ever need any on short notice, same with breeze clamps.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Hopefully its just clamp issue. It could be a worn coupler too, if its sitting a bit loose. If i have something that is an odd size at a throttle body, i try to use a 1/4 down and stretch it over the t body, then once clamped, its down really tight. I keep a lot of vibrant couplers in stock if you ever need any on short notice, same with breeze clamps.

That is part of my issue on the throttle body. Being a 92mm with the extra thickness of the coupler it falls somewhere in the 102-110mm range which is not a 4” nor a 3.5”. That’s good to know about the materials you have on hand, I had to overnight ship some last night thinking I was SOL

Reactions: 01bluesnake

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
So when is the next track outing? I need to get back and make more hits, and I need to get my license as well.

It was great seeing you guys out at GLD. Car is looking great, and I think you are looking good for Sick Summer. I can tell you that you are WAY more prepared than I was for Drag Week last year LOL

I actually went to Byron yesterday and got my license passes done. I am on a work trip the next week but want to get another test day before the event! Lemme know if you are heading up.

As a quick update I went to Byron yesterday during their diesel drag day to get my 6 nhra license passes done. This required a combo of some some slow passes letting out early and then 2 passes 9.99 or quicker. Off the top of my head I think I went 11.1, 10.1, 10.0, 9.7 and 9.2. I wanted to make a few more passes turned up but ran out of time. That was good enough to get all the required signatures so I threw the car on the trailer and went on my way.

As far as sick summer I finally have all the on paper requirements done. The cage is certed to 8.50 (class limit) I have all the required personal safety gear and SFI parts on the car and now I am good to run NHRA tracks down to 7.50.

Now I have to finish the trailer build and just get more seat time on both the street and work on getting a consistent tune up that’s slower than 8.50 but still competitive. I’ve been to 3 different track days in the last 9 days so I need a break from the track for a little bit [emoji28]

IMG_4600.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Nice times, even better that it came out of it in a single piece.

Gotta say I don't get why in the fuck aftermarket TB makers don't at least give an option of standard sizes for the inlets on TBs. Seriously. You may as well have someone TIG a piece of pipe to the end of one or a vband. If I had the Solidworks drawings of the original it would take me litterally 15 minutes to add it to the CAM program, they'd dump it into CAM and then I'd think there would be minimal to no extra setup to change it on their tooling. It's a nearly no effort product add on they could charge $1-200 extra for.

Reactions: Boostie

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Nice times, even better that it came out of it in a single piece.

That was my goal! Considering all the issues I had the last 2 test and tune days I didn’t want any chance of breaking the car during the 6 runs. There’s about 15-18 more psi left that I can throw through the engine so she should be quite a hot rod on a spicy tune

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Started working on this thing today. The floor is rotten, fenders not centered and the walls too small.

IMG_3803.jpg

Mostly disassembled

IMG_4745.jpg

New structure tack welded

IMG_4748.jpg

Fitment check. Still need to do more welding and trimming on the side panels.

IMG_4763.jpg

The plan is to build a locking top that is hinged. The wheels I race on will be on the top of the trailer so I need to add a little more bracing for the weight. Also planning on adding some new led lighting and painting everything black. Should have most done tomorrow and then we start street driving to make sure everything is good.

Thread Info