šŸ”§ BUILD Boostieā€™s 1987 Notchback

General Information

I will hop on board in the build section here as I have been a member of TCG and big follower of sloppy on FB over the years.

Quick run down of my turd that I built completely out of my garage.

Basic SS2 donā€™t bs me style build for the engine on E85
Shiny Borg turbo
Th400 with PTC converter
Holley Terminator setup with 7ā€ dash
Bunch of Low Dollar sensors and SEP injectors
On board air setup for boost control/airing tires
Lots of fancy un-needed suspension

Just got the car running recently but looking forward to this coming year. So far Iā€™ve been doing the tuning on my own but may throw it on the dyno eventually

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

Quick clip when I was first setting up the simple stage

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
Off the top of my head the doors were around 33lbs total. The front end was kinda disappointing at only around 20lbs, but I forgot that I had the motion raceworks radiator mount which probably shaved weight off stock and the forward facing impact shock absorbers were cut off and no crash bar. From a factory setuo
Iā€™m sure more would be lost. The tube front end only weighed 25lbs total
Hey any weight off is good!@

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
More pointless updates.

Finished welding up the front end and painting the engine bay again. This included hiding my mac valves under the fender, brackets for the intercooler, mounting the horn and bolting the fenders up (hopefully for the last time in a while)

IMG_1314.jpeg

IMG_1315.jpeg
IMG_1319.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1336.jpeg

Also filled the car back up with some sugar free Minute Maid and got the car fired up last night to confirm no leaks and the shifter works. Was a big win since the cars been down for about a month now.

IMG_1332.jpeg

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
01bluesnake 01bluesnake yessir. I took them home to test fit. They arenā€™t 100% the correct backspace but I can make it work. Just not sure I like em more than the welds. Considering swapping the front to alumastars so not sure what would look best.

The Welds are nice too, but im bias since i got a few sets of them. I was gonna ask if you had the fronts, otherwise gonna be tough to make the rear look right with anything else. The Alumastar should look pretty good with the Champion. I dont have my 17" Alumastars anymore, otherwise id let you fit them.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
It aint anything show worthy, but should hold. With practice I hope to improve the aesthetics.

It took a while to feel settings, then bouncing back and forth materials like aluminum, steel, stainless just multiplies the headache. What cup size, type, tungsten size and type you using? I have really good luck on aluminum piping with a gas lens #5, with a 3/32" 2% lanthanated tungsten. CFH i set to 15 psi, and normally 85-90 amps for the thinner stuff, or 100 for the thick. Another tip is cleaning the filler rod with some 3M scuff pad prior to using it, helps knock off the oxidation, followed by wiping it down with acetone. I found this method really helps the filler melt easy into the puddle for tacking. I always do at least 4 tacks, about 90* apart, but have done 5-6 on 4"+ piping. You want fit up to be as tight as possible, but i have welded and went over 1/16-1/8 gaps without issue, just gotta watch the amperage and puddle. You have some solid welds in certain areas, so could just be more time at the welder.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
It took a while to feel settings, then bouncing back and forth materials like aluminum, steel, stainless just multiplies the headache. What cup size, type, tungsten size and type you using? I have really good luck on aluminum piping with a gas lens #5, with a 3/32" 2% lanthanated tungsten. CFH i set to 15 psi, and normally 85-90 amps for the thinner stuff, or 100 for the thick. Another tip is cleaning the filler rod with some 3M scuff pad prior to using it, helps knock off the oxidation, followed by wiping it down with acetone. I found this method really helps the filler melt easy into the puddle for tacking. I always do at least 4 tacks, about 90* apart, but have done 5-6 on 4"+ piping. You want fit up to be as tight as possible, but i have welded and went over 1/16-1/8 gaps without issue, just gotta watch the amperage and puddle. You have some solid welds in certain areas, so could just be more time at the welder.
For this I was using a #6, 3/32 Tungsten, CFH around 15psi and I think that I settled on ~75 amps full tilt on the pedal. I have been cleaning the filler rod and parts with non-chlorinated brake kleen after using a wire brush. I recently bought a belt sander to get the fitment tight, but I will say I still semi struggle with the initial tack welds and find myself lowering the amperage to 55-65amps for the tack. When I have it set higher I seem to melt open the gaps. I will have to try to drop down to a #5 cup and see if that helps out. for doing thicker stuff I can do pretty well, but the thin wall is much trickier and I need a lot more practice.

Some practice pieces in no particular order, im sure the quality of the metal has some to do with it as I have cheap universal piping that I am using. Def open to any input since Iā€™m learning based on google and YouTube šŸ˜‚

IMG_1949.jpeg
IMG_1956.jpeg
IMG_2018.jpeg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
For this I was using a #6, 3/32 Tungsten, CFH around 15psi and I think that I settled on ~75 amps full tilt on the pedal. I have been cleaning the filler rod and parts with non-chlorinated brake kleen after using a wire brush. I recently bought a belt sander to get the fitment tight, but I will say I still semi struggle with the initial tack welds and find myself lowering the amperage to 55-65amps for the tack. When I have it set higher I seem to melt open the gaps. I will have to try to drop down to a #5 cup and see if that helps out. for doing thicker stuff I can do pretty well, but the thin wall is much trickier and I need a lot more practice.

Some practice pieces in no particular order, im sure the quality of the metal has some to do with it as I have cheap universal piping that I am using. Def open to any input since Iā€™m learning based on google and YouTube šŸ˜‚

View attachment 200094View attachment 200093View attachment 200095
Keep the torch moving when you tack weld and don't be afraid to give it more amps. I move the torch in a small tight circle when laying tacks. It seems to reduce burn through and helps the puddle to hit both parts.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009

Going to cup #5 will help keep the cleaning more narrow, and help with a better arc in my experience. You may want to go up a bit on amperage and use your foot to control. Helps with getting heat into the part quick, and not sitting too long to get there. Like mentioned, moving around, using the cleaning action, while getting heat into the part lets them tack easier. I use a specific Tungsten grinder, helps keep consistent angles, which also affect arc width. I do blunt the tip ever so slightly after grinding it helps stabilize the arc, where when left with a point, tends to wander more on A/C. A/C frequency can also make a huge difference, but depending on material thickness, amperage, and what exactly your welding will change. Mine tends to sit around 80, but move down to 60 if i want a wider arc, or more spread per say, and i use 100 if i want a tight arc, with more amp concentration. A/C balance is usually around 30% on my machine, but some are flipped, so 70% is what you would shoot for. Too much and it balls the tip up instantly, too little and not enough cleaning.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Thread Info