đź“° Auto News BMW plans on continuing with internal combustion - New gas, diesel, six-cylinder, eight-cylinder on the way

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

BMW Development Director Frank Weber went on record to confirm this, courtesy of an interview with Auto Motor und Sport. According to Weber, the German company is "working on a new generation of engines: petrol, diesel, six-cylinder, eight-cylinder."

To effectively reduce BMW's CO2 emissions globally, Weber said that BMW will need a "state-of-the-art combustion engine" for a few more years. This will be the purpose of the upcoming newly developed power plants, which are said to be also technologically prepared for future emission standards.

"With the six-cylinder engine alone, we are reducing CO2 emissions more massively than has ever been the case with a generation change," Weber added. He also cited that legislation in terms of emissions is becoming standardized around the world, which would definitely help BMW's case.

Weber stated that the new engines are "nothing is really like it was before." There will be something that's completely new in the cylinder head in the name of efficiency. He believes that the overall reduction of CO2 emissions is "crucial in the fight against climate change," regardless of whether it's electric or an internal combustion engine.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I just worry about reliability on these new engines. Seems all the Mickey Mouse bullshit OEMs have to do to make engines pass stricter emissions (not just fuel economy) regulations make engines delicate as fuck.

Thin low tension piston rings make them all eat oil and ring lands crack. They run crazy high compression with turbos but design the engines to use 87 octane to lower the “total cost of ownership” and to achieve this they rely on all sensors giving 100% accurate readings so they can tune fuel delivery and timing on a knife edge to avoid detonation. Vacuum pumps to help seal those cheesy piston rings have proven to be unreliable. Cheesy plastic parts for cooling systems work ok for about 5 years and then turn into cigarette ash. New cars don’t even have thermostats so they can warm up faster to reduce NOX but instead use crazy expensive rotary valves and exhaust manifold coolant heat exchangers. Crazy camshaft timing and variable lift setups like Hyundais variable duration cam or Cadillacs sliding camshaft system are super reliant on everything going perfect and use small electric actuators mounted exactly where small electronics hate being- a hot place with a lot of vibration.

I mean I guess I should be excited, when this dumb stuff breaks (and it does all the time) it keeps me in business but at some point it’s going to get to the point where used out of warranty newer cars are going to be mechanically totaled out way before the current 20 year lifespan of the average vehicle. I suppose this is no different that early 2012 teslas having battery failures. Nobody wants to buy a $17,000 battery for a 10 year old car- but those types of cars were in their infancy and batteries right now are 2x more expensive than they will be in 3-5 years and will continue to drop. Not to mention they are only getting more reliable, not less. ICE vehicle parts are now only increasing in cost and complexity so there will be a reversal of that situation in the near future.

TLDR; new engines are more expensive and more delicate than ever

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I like they are keeping ICE options, but I'm curious what gas prices are going to be years from now when EVs are mainstream. More supply, less demand should drive down cost, but what crazy climate gas taxes are we in for?
It’s not going to happen overnight. It will be decades long process so it’s not going to sneak up on anybody

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info