Blue Valve Stem Caps?

Primalzer

Reaction score
Question, and it may be a stupid one. Blue valve stem caps. When I bought my car, they came with them on.....I know green denotes nitrogen (and BS at that)....but what about blue? I am kind of just assuming it's just air.....I don't know if anyone that works around the industry knows....and why wouldn't they just use black :dunno:

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Reaction score
I don't think they mean anything. I've only seen green for nitrogen, anything else is just for style I think.

OP
P

Primalzer

Reaction score
But it's not like they are anything fancy....they are the standard material....exactly the same as the black ones....except blue....

OP
P

Primalzer

Reaction score
I mean, if you rarely check the pressure of your tires or store your car and leave it sit for a long time, than it does have a positive impact. But otherwise if you get your tires filled at a shop that has a good industrial air compressor with dryers, the benefits of no moisture in nitrogen are moot.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
I mean, if you rarely check the pressure of your tires or store your car and leave it sit for a long time, than it does have a positive impact. But otherwise if you get your tires filled at a shop that has a good industrial air compressor with dryers, the benefits of no moisture in nitrogen are moot.
Or you can buy a small compressor for the car and check your pressure a couple times a month like the smarties around here. Its like 30+ dollars to fill all the tires with nitrogen and less than that to buy a cheap compressor. Is the lack of moisture really a point to begin with?

My wheels are rotting from the outside more than the inside. Though since they are a chrysler product the outside and inside decay might be racing each other to see who breaks through first. Kinda like the who won the race to finish the trans-continental railroad.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Reaction score
Even with dryers, moisture still gets in and also air is affected by temperature. Since we live in an area where it can be 30* at night and 70* during the daytime, nitrogen isn't a bad thing. Even a little bit of moisture gets in and the drastic temp changes will cause condensation.

Air presssure changes with temp by about 1psi per 10* so if you fill your tire in the afternoon, You would be about 4 psi lower at night. Also note that driving long distances or high speeds raises the tire temps as well.

Yes I do have a car I store over the winter.

As for cost, The shop that puts on tires for my cars fills them up with nitrogen with the pruchase of the tires. So since they do it with a purchase, It doesn't hurt to have them filled. If I recall they only charge $5 per tire to purge/fill with nitrogen if you already have tires on your car.

SRT41320

Reaction score
dont know what blue ones mean but if you have grey valve caps...its supposed to mean you have tire monitors in the wheels....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom