🔧 BUILD blue-sun's GTI Thread

General Information

Staring a new thread for my GTI.

As I posted in the IllDub thread, last week I traded in my 2017 Jetta GLI 6 speed for a new 2021 GTI SE in Cornflower Blue with the DSG transmission.

When I purchased the GLI, I had originally wanted a GTI but they were generally more expensive than the Jetta GLI's and the interior space (rear legroom - we have 11 yr old twins) was just a little bit bigger, so that's what I went with.

I've been watching the payoff amount for the last 6 months and the trade in/retail values on the GLI to see if it would be worth upgrading. Plus, once a month the wife and I would switch cars so I can take the dog to the groomers in her Edge ST (toss the dogs old crate in the hatch of the Edge is much easier than having her up front with me while I shift - I have done it but it's not ideal) and she started complaining about how much she hates driving stick in traffic, etc. I hated how the MK6 GLI had shitty headlights (no HID from the factory even through all the other lights were OEM LED's) and the lack of a LSD made driving in the snow horrible, even with snow tires.

Now, I knew that back in 2019 they did a limited run of cornflower blue GTI "Rabbit" editions, but that was for 2019 only. About 2-3 months ago, we were driving on 55S and I happen to see a cornflower blue GTI and commented about how sharp that color was in person but thought nothing of it, just assumed it was a rabbit edition (I don't know if it was a rabbit or a 2021 version).

I saw that new GLI's had trim levels like the GTI's have had and initially I was looking at those online and saw VW had some really good deals on them. So I started surfing on cars.com and autotrader.com to see what inventory was like locally. I wanted a grey with the black appearance package or a red with the black appearance package in DSG but could not really find one in stock locally. This led me to going straight to local VW dealers websites and low and behold, I saw a cornflower blue GTI in inventory at one of the dealers. I hopped back on cars.com and started searching for all cornflower blue GTI's in Chicagoland and saw there were only 5. 3 or 4 were DSG and 1 was manual. This was over Ester weekend. Monday morning I start calling dealers, 1 was already sold. This left 4 in the area on cars.com. One of the dealer site had it marked as "sale pending", so this left 3. One of the dealers happened to be the same dealership (City VW Evanston - formerly of the Autobahn VW group) where I bought my GLI. So Tuesday morning I called them and the same salesguy (Mario Grbavac - he gave me a good deal on both cars, go see him!) who I bought my GLI from was still working there and we negotiated a sale price and they matched the Carvana/Vroom estimates on my GLI, so after work I drove to Evanston and did the trade.

He had all the sales paperwork ready for me, I was done signing his papers in under 3 minutes from walking in the door, I just had to wait for the Finance manager, as one tends to do.

No major mods, but I can never leave a car alone.

Already got tints installed, Llumar Ceramic tints all around.
50% on the windshield
35% on the rest of the windows
Smoked Transparent Vinyl over the triangle windows by the mirrors (done by my tint guy)

I had some of that same smoked vinyl that I previously used on part of the tails and mirrors caps on the GLI but I ran out. I ordered some more, or what I thought was more but it was the wrong color, it was light smoke and very light for what I wanted. But I didn't let it go to waste, so I put it on the rear bumper reflectors which darkened it up just enough.

Some Yellow Lamin-x foglight film has been ordered and will be arriving this week and a Euro Auto DRL switch so I can run the foglights independently.
Also ordered some DSG flappy paddle extensions off eBay (blue aluminum ones)
Tentatively have an appointment with lo.run from ILLdub to have him do a gloss black vinyl on the rear of the roof this weekend.

Other mods planned -
Badgeskins for the front and rear VW emblems
OBDeleven or VAGCOM to disable the soundkator.
Some kind of CBE or Downpipe so I can have more of the DSG cracks and pops.

Posting on a PC, will reply from mobile with pics.

1688754732706.png

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
IMG_2611.jpeg
Was a passenger in the back of my GTI. Had foot surgery last week, the dog also had knee surgery last week and was ready to come home today. Dog fits better in the back of the GTI, so we hopped in there to go pick her up. Since I can’t drive and I need to keep my foot elevated as much as possible, I went behind the wifey and sat in back.

Was very strange sitting back there.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
so in an effort to not spam Mook Mook build thread, I'll spam my own thread.

Backstory:

June I had foot surgery and could not drive for 2.5 weeks. I work remote so I only really drive at night/weekends for errands/family stuff. Days after I could drive, my wife had an apparent basketball injury and spent 8 days in the hospital and now can't legally drive for 6 months (she had a cardiac arrest and collapsed), so I'll be splitting time between my car and her Accord until she goes back to work.

The plan before all of this for the GTI was:

Factory warranty is up in April 2024, so I've been researching and trying to figure out what mods to do come springtime.

Goal is 300ishWHP on 93. I don't do 1/4 mile runs, I don't auto-x, I don't do track days. I want street performance without having 3 women nagging at me if I drive like an asshole (likely) in the GTI with them in the car. Burble tunes optional. #comeatmebro

Options:
ECU/DSG Tune + supporting mods (IC/DP) with APR, UM, Cobb, Unitronic, etc on the stock turbo for a "stage 3" type.
IS38 Turbo (stock Golf R/S3/TTR3/Aertom) + tune. APR and UM and the others all offer tunes.
APRDTR6054 Turbo replacement, includes ECU tune, will need DSG tune as well.
Leave it stock and save $ for a Civic Type R or Integra Type S. I'm not paying over MSRP. I'm not financing at 8.00% APR for 84 months. If I can't find one at MSRP at a decent rate, I'll keep the GTI and mod it.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Damn man, here’s to a quick recovery for your wife. That’s scary.

You, meh, not so much.

The car, sell it and get a CTR.
100% on the scary.

Me, it was karma. I was calling her jeeves and shit while she was driving me around for 2.5 weeks. I may or may not have mentioned buying her a jar of Grey Poupon. Karma.

Not selling to get a CTR unless it's at MSRP for a good rate. MSRP at or below 4.5-5%, I would sell/trade. Over MSRP or over 5% APR, GTFO. and I'm not doing an 84 month loan. Fuck that.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
100% on the scary.

Me, it was karma. I was calling her jeeves and shit while she was driving me around for 2.5 weeks. I may or may not have mentioned buying her a jar of Grey Poupon. Karma.

Not selling to get a CTR unless it's at MSRP for a good rate. MSRP at or below 4.5-5%, I would sell/trade. Over MSRP or over 5% APR, GTFO. and I'm not doing an 84 month loan. Fuck that.
Pay cash, big dog. This is TCG.

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
  • Wow
Reactions: Aron

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
It does have a slight burble coming off of throttle. But it's very subtle, which is the way a car that only drives on the street should be, or less. No car on the road needs a fucking burble and popping tune, not a single one.

suck my dick GIF
There's a black GTI around me that sounds like popcorn in the microwave as it passes by my work.

Gay Typography GIF

^^^^ that's what it sounds like.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
There's a black GTI around me that sounds like popcorn in the microwave as it passes by my work.

Gay Typography GIF

^^^^ that's what it sounds like.
You know what they sound like? I'll tell you. It's a combination of a cat hacking up a hairball and water gurgling down a drain. Every. Single. One.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Charlie's RS7 was the worst I've ever heard.
There is some asshat in a BMW that drives by about 4:15pm every weekday with one that sounds absofuckinglutely awful. I swear there is a 500lbs cat that's 40' tall hacking up a giant hairball. I would be embarrassed to have something that sounded that bad and obnoxious. Hilarious that people spend money for that.
That 70S Show Lol GIF by IFC

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
There is some asshat in a BMW that drives by about 4:15pm every weekday with one that sounds absofuckinglutely awful. I swear there is a 500lbs cat that's 40' tall hacking up a giant hairball. I would be embarrassed to have something that sounded that bad and obnoxious. Hilarious that people spend money for that.
That 70S Show Lol GIF by IFC
I believe burble tunes are "free" with tunes. You bet your ass I'll get it.
Snap Crackle Pop 90S GIF by ADWEEK

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
APR Tune on stock turbo looks like 321 WHP/351 TQ

1690317797425.png

APR with IS38 Turbo and Low Torque Tune: 395HP and 334 TQ. This seems like it would just shred tires and hop. Probably overkill
1690317872796.png

and for SpeedSpeak2me SpeedSpeak2me aggressive on the Golf R sounds bad. The "soft" isn't too bad.

Enhance your exhaust note just like Audi’s latest RS models! The APR Exhaust Crackle, lovingly called “pops and bangs” by many, adds a distinct crackle to the exhaust note upon lifting off the throttle, gear changes on a manual, decelerating, or while free revving at a stand standstill. This optional feature is available at no cost, at the time of flashing, for most compatible ECUs at stage 2 and higher stages. For convenience, the feature is only enabled when the vehicle is placed into sport/race mode. Lastly, for safety, this feature has built in hardware protection limits, and will only function when it’s considered safe to do so. We offer this in both a "soft" and "aggressive" mode as illustrated below with our 2019 Golf R featuring a full APR Valved Catback Exhaust System.

Mook's UM:

1690318201280.png

Seems like UM is leaving something on the table and not APR for a stock GTI.

1690318183232.png

Thread Info