🏡 Better Homes blue-sun's basement home theater

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
U dick I didn’t say black I said darker and let me go into detail are u painting a different color from the rest of your basement? I asked if darker cause like most theatres there are no windows and have the lights on the walls that stay on thru out the movie and get dim and look nice. I’d post pics of my theater room but I don’t like to brag my girl did a bad ass job of making the room look like real movie theatre. I did mine a shade or 2 darker than the rest of the basement
SHOW US

Reactions: blue-sun

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

giphy.gif

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Yeah I thought I posted about paining. The thought at first was black but realizing I don’t HAVE to go black let’s us choose a different dark color for the walls. Dark grey, navy blue, maroon. Etc. We will decide on a color later and paint away. This thread will be kept alive later this year with minor updates like that. Oh and I think I want to cut a hole in my workshop wall and build shelf’s inside there for all the equipment. Saw a post on Reddit that had that and I want to do that now, get rid of the IKEA cube.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
So the sales guy called me just now after his all day meeting with an update. The projector we ordered, Epson 4010 is out of stock. They have the next one up, Epson 4050 in stock and they are selling it to us for the same price as the 4010.

Don’t know exactly when it will be installed, but it will be ASAP.

He was off work and called me with a solution when he really didn’t have to. Top notch customer service, I’d recommend him 100%.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I'd go with a 5 seat setup. Plop your ass right in the center seat every time.
Not enough physical space in the room for 5 seats.

I could have done a 3 seater, but that leaves 1 of the kids without a chair. Doing the best that I can in the space that I have with the budget that I have. It's never going to be perfect and ideal, but it is going to be awesome either way and 100% better than watching on old misc seats on a 65" with "just" a 5.1 setup.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So, along those lines. When you finally get things setup and calibrated, watch the ending credits to For All Mankind, S1 Ep 10. They mixed Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and the sound stage is phenomenal. Feels like you are in a concert hall, makes the room feel so much bigger than it is.

On re-watching the show, I've noticed that the sound engineer they hired for For All Mankind really knows his stuff. The Atmos mix is phenomenal, especially at the beginning and end when they use some big name songs in the credits.

I do have some Dolby Atmos raw demo files, and I own Hans Zimmer "Live in Prague" which is an Atmos mix.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
So, along those lines. When you finally get things setup and calibrated, watch the ending credits to For All Mankind, S1 Ep 10. They mixed Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and the sound stage is phenomenal. Feels like you are in a concert hall, makes the room feel so much bigger than it is.

On re-watching the show, I've noticed that the sound engineer they hired for For All Mankind really knows his stuff. The Atmos mix is phenomenal, especially at the beginning and end when they use some big name songs in the credits.

I do have some Dolby Atmos raw demo files, and I own Hans Zimmer "Live in Prague" which is an Atmos mix.
I was actually planning on rewatching that show, among a few others in this hella large format.

If we ever get a projector, that is. Got an email confimation from BB randomly around 3PM, appointment is March 23rd. Need to confirm that with my guy, wasn’t able to talk to him today.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Man, awesome build. I built a home theater in my house 10 years ago. Still enjoy the hell out of it today. Same size screen as you.
Definitely focus on getting a big ass rug and some acoustic treatments up next and paint those walls. Also, sub placement is difficult and always a compromise between asthetics and perfect location. Get some low frequency bass clips and walk around the room and see where the bass fades out and then mess around with the placement. When your done invite us over for a movie!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Man, awesome build. I built a home theater in my house 10 years ago. Still enjoy the hell out of it today. Same size screen as you.
Definitely focus on getting a big ass rug and some acoustic treatments up next and paint those walls. Also, sub placement is difficult and always a compromise between asthetics and perfect location. Get some low frequency bass clips and walk around the room and see where the bass fades out and then mess around with the placement. When your done invite us over for a movie!

I paid for a year of Best But Total Tech as part of this. Included in that is their tech will fine tune the audio for me.

Really looking forward to being done and start using it!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Talked(texted) with the Magnolia BB today. Confirmed that the new projector is slightly delayed, due to be shipped by March 15th (not sure if to my house or the local BB store like the screen was) with an install date of March 23rd. If the projector arrives earlier than the 15th and their install tech finishes a job earlier than expected and is near by, he’ll come sooner.

That being said, we’ve decided paint down here before then. Wall with screen will be painted black. Rest of the walls will be painted either a dark blue or dark red.

Plan is to grab some color samples tomorrow at HD or Menards, I’ve got to get a container of small sparkle to fill some holes and get the walls ready for paint between now and the 15th. We should be able to paint in a weekend. Prep first then paint.

Reactions: Jamesv82
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info