đź‘‹ INTRO blue-sun’s 2017 Jetta GLI thread - PIC HEAVY WARNING 56K for Yaj Yak.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I was probably out there at the Joliet Autocross at the Junior College around the same time frame. I raced my 2002 WRX (blue) and my 2000 Firehawk convertible (pewter) there many times in the 2001-2004ish time frame. Had 2 first place finishes in my classes due to their time structuring, one with my WRX, and 1 with the Firehawk.

I've also had an 88 MR2 (n/a) in my past, and have been on a VW kick for a few years (currently a GTI and the wife a Beetle).

Nice to have you around!

That screenname looks familiar! You're on NASIOC (or were), right?

I only went to JCC once or twice and I was never very good. I got that MR2 in late 03 or early 04 and had the swap done winter of 04. I never auto-x'ed it when it was turbo, so most likely I was there 04. I had VW buddies that used to auto-x including my buddy Joe with an 02 silver WRX wagon at the time, a buddy Chris with a silver A4 sedan with S4 bumpers and giant 911 brakes or I want to say a buddy Steven in either a Pelican Blue A4 or some sort of honda.

I remember seeing a Gallardo or 2 at one of the Auto-x when I was there.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
That screenname looks familiar! You're on NASIOC (or were), right?

I only went to JCC once or twice and I was never very good. I got that MR2 in late 03 or early 04 and had the swap done winter of 04. I never auto-x'ed it when it was turbo, so most likely I was there 04. I had VW buddies that used to auto-x including my buddy Joe with an 02 silver WRX wagon at the time, a buddy Chris with a silver A4 sedan with S4 bumpers and giant 911 brakes or I want to say a buddy Steven in either a Pelican Blue A4 or some sort of honda.

I remember seeing a Gallardo or 2 at one of the Auto-x when I was there.
Yes, I was on NASIOC and ClubWRX.net for a few years while I owned the WRX. Screen names are hard to change... LOL

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Protege MP3, I always liked those :rofl:
Have any more pictures of it?

Not currently. They're on an old external HDD that may or may not have seized up.

Here's an old article with pics, though mine had the later Mazdaspeed Protege wheels on it. Basically it had everything the Mazdaspeed Protege had minus the turbo. It was Mazda testing out to see if anyone wanted a sporty sedan.

it was very much a "slow car that's fun to drive fast vrs a fast car that's boring to drive slow".

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Welcome, love the cars. A neighbor of mine has one of those late 80s supercharged MR2. It’s been sitting in the same spot for a long time. Are they fun cars? Was thinking of making him an offer over the summer but never did.
I also work over there. Naperville off Washington and deihl rd. I drive a white Charger Scatpack.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Welcome, love the cars. A neighbor of mine has one of those late 80s supercharged MR2. It’s been sitting in the same spot for a long time. Are they fun cars? Was thinking of making him an offer over the summer but never did.
I also work over there. Naperville off Washington and deihl rd. I drive a white Charger Scatpack.

the first gen Supercharged is a gokart! So fun to drive! I did have a few “incidents” with the infamous “snap-oversteer” in that first gen a couple of times and luckily never caused major damage (though some minor damage”, though I was a know it all teen when I had that car and it was probably 75% driver error and 25% snap over steer.

yeah you’re right by me. I’ve worked all over Naperville/Lisle the last 12-13 years. Diehl And Freedom Dr, Naperville and Warrenville Rd and now near Winfield and Ferry. Sorry I ever cut you off or drove like an ass, I guess that teen behind the wheel never really grew up, just got slightly better behind the wheel, but not much. Lol

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Got a warning light on the dash this morning while dropping the kids off at a school, drivers side fog light bulb is out. Gonna look at a matching deAutoLED bulb for it since I love the LED headlight bulb I got from them.

3A8F66E0-8E37-4A68-872F-4D9C5122ED9E.jpeg

A567A6CC-9854-4394-918B-DAB0F67AAAD8.jpeg

22F5B754-4B67-4EB4-B177-5D7A8020483C.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Was gonna order the deAutoLED bulbs, but when I looked and saw $145 for bulbs before shipping and tax, not worth it. So I started googling and I found out that Sylvania came out with some bulbs that you can get at the store, so I ran to my local Advances Auto and installed these on my lunch break. Will update tonight with nighttime pics.
Still pricey for bulbs at $70, but I got them now and locally and since they make Osram the OEM provider I figured they’d be good enough for my GLI.

7E3E584D-C33B-4DB0-A8BA-F1462AC65717.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I think the GTI has led fogs but I’m not sure. I know the light is very white.

The only lights not factory LED on this car were the headlights and foglights and a handful of the interior lights. Taillights, rear plate lights, DRL, all factory LED.

I have the yellow Laminx film on the fogs, so the light always looks amber regardless.

Reactions: DanJ

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Snapped a pic just now and one from 2018 when I got the Euro switch and was able to run the foglights independently.

View attachment 78161

View attachment 78162

I had a euro switch in my mk6, been meaning to get one for the 7. Fun fact, if it had the same switch the GTI does you can turn the headlight switch somewhere between headlight and marker light while pulling out and wiggling it and get fogs by themselves. It’s kind of janky but it does work :rofl:.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I had a euro switch in my mk6, been meaning to get one for the 7. Fun fact, if it had the same switch the GTI does you can turn the headlight switch somewhere between headlight and marker light while pulling out and wiggling it and get fogs by themselves. It’s kind of janky but it does work :rofl:.
I got an eBay euro switch for I think $8 back in early 2018 when I bought the car. Works perfect as I tend to drive with my foglights on all the time!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
So ran the GLI through the local Coin Op carwash yesterday at lunch while I was WFH.

Today, I did an ONR (Optimum No Rinse Wash) on it during my lunch hour. It was my fist ONR wash on this car since doing the Ceramic Coating last fall. I found the ONR + Coating to be a bit "grippy", not as smooth as previous, but I guess that's to be expected. Also did a quick wipe down of the paint with a Meguiar's Ceramic Detailer. Also did a quick wipe down of the interior as it was getting gross. Feels good to have a clean car again!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Nice. I used cockpit premium on my interior at work the other day. I just don’t look at the outside until spring. Spray wash still leaves it a shade of dirty off white :rofl:

I was impressed with how much dirt just rinsed off at the coin op due to the ceramic coating. I've got some water spots that I need to attack in the spring before applying a fresh coat of the ceramic coating.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Thanks Carvana

I must have submitted a quote from them back in the day, got this auto genereted email today:

Quote seems a bit low to be honest.

1692039778976.png

I hoped on cars.com, searched for another red 2017 manual Jetta GLI, only 1 in all of USA, sure it's less mileage than even mine had back in 2021

1692039928949.png

Even the highest mileage one in a few hundred miles of here is way more than their offer.

1692040032577.png

Thread Info