• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Blue smoke...

MM.Junior.

Regular
Mar 14, 2012
Well today I started the marauder and when I did, I was sitting down waiting for It to warm up a little then I noticed blue smoke in my rear view mirror...but its weird though cause as far as I know it only makes blue smoke when start up but the rest of the drive was fine...so my question is, why is it producing blue smoke ONLY at start up? Ideas, suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance!!

MM.Junior.

Regular
Mar 14, 2012
Oil is getting into the combustion chamber and burning up. Cause could vary from blow by to a bad gasket to a bad valve and maybe more.

Does what I kinda been thinking. But I mean when I accelerate nothing happens, like no blue smoke. Just when it starts it like "puffs" a bit of blue smoke and that's it. I noticed it when I added Lucas oil stabilizer. Could that be the cause??? :/

(By the way, I love your lightning!! Especially the color its so unique but the whole truck overall is pretty nice)

MM.Junior.

Regular
Mar 14, 2012
The only thing that goes in the tank is 93 octane (premium) from BP and this...(sorry I was thinking of the wrong Lucas product:/)
2012-06-02132205.jpg

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Junior;

Set your mind at rest, the MM has had this issue from day 1. Some drivers experience it, some don't. If the blue smoke is just once in a while at start up, then all's OK. If it's on every start up or during driving then the motor may need attention or further testing. You didn't indicate the mileage.

My valve seals were shot but no smoke.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
A lot pistons are cam ground. Meaning they are made so that they are round when they warm up. Since there is more material at certain places on the piston, they expand differently, so the piston isn't a perfect fit before the entire reaches operating temp. Its one of the main reasons you aren't supposed to go under heavy load before the engine reaches operating temp (it'll slap). If it has a few extra miles on it it'll smoke at start up. You should be fine, just watch your oil level.

MM.Junior.

Regular
Mar 14, 2012
Oh see. I learned something new today:) thanks everyone! And well the marauder has current 25,665ish miles so far. And Yeah I would keep an eye on my oil level, it be easier if the dam oil gauge worked rather than just be there for show-_- (heard the console gauges on the marauders don't quite function accurately, is this true?:0)

Burt Ragio

Apr 2, 2011
This info was taken from Pro Weld.
With very few exceptions, almost every used 4-Valve head suffers from extreme carbon build-up under the valve head and up the neck. This build-up robs more power from your engine than any other single problem I can think of. More than poor timing, a weak fuel system, bad O2 sensors or even a out of calibration mass air sensor. This excess build-up is the equivalent of a plugged air filter and valves that only open 2/3's the normal rate !.!.! If you have a 4.6L 4-Valve and the performance just seems to have gone away, then you most likely have extreme carbon build-up. The supercharged engines were the worse, the combination of low miles driven, too many people that like to hear that big blower, and excess oil mist from the valve covers that were not filtered all helped to create the problem. In really bad instances, mainly worn engines, the oil mist (blow-by) can actually clog the small passages in the inter-cooler which sits below the blower and further starve the engine for air,
Long story short a catch can will filter most blow by that can lead to this problem s/c or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info