blown head gasket, need help!

grey03svt

Reaction score
driver side head gasket appears to be blown... i dont know what the hell im doing when it come to cams and timing chains. i do ALL the work on all of my vehicles, but a head gasket on a DOHC car makes me frightened...

any tips guys?

teamstorm02

Reaction score
that kinda stuff on these mod motors makes me feel the same way!... good luck man!

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
are you sure its a blown head gasket?? That's nearly impossible to do on a 4valve.

OP
grey03svt

grey03svt

Reaction score
are you sure its a blown head gasket?? That's nearly impossible to do on a 4valve.
in the well below the lower intake i have coolant pooled up. at first before i pulled the old blower off, i thought my LDC cooling mod was leaking. but with everything off, i can see that it is not...

i also have a small amount of oil on a part of the head gasket that sticks out a bit.

and checking out my coolant tank, i have small black in there.

i hope its not a head gasket, but what/where would that stuff come from?

i have pics on my phone ill try posting them in a bit

OP
grey03svt

grey03svt

Reaction score
the pic with the red circle is the oil pooled on the head gasket.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
pm dun4791. His name is Lyle. Or Dana they do work together and do a great job. Very good pricing. They can help you for sure, they work out of Beecher. GL.

OP
grey03svt

grey03svt

Reaction score
so from the pics, does it look like it may be a head gasket? i have the service manual on cd, and from the looks of the head removal/install, its a complete bitch...

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I had to remove my drivers side head about two weeks ago. I marked the hell out the timing gear and chain. Good luck.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Reaction score
do a compression test, that will tell you for sure if it's a hg
you've gotta pull the motor on the dohcs to do the head gasket iirc

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
do a compression test, that will tell you for sure if it's a hg
you've gotta pull the motor on the dohcs to do the head gasket iirc
not true... the only real way is to do a leakdown test... compression test wont show small leakage into water passages.

OP
grey03svt

grey03svt

Reaction score
Well I have the new blower on the car now. I'm just waiting on a belt and a new BF pulley. I couldn't do the exhaust gas in the coolant test... And I tried to pressurize the cooling system, but the fitting kept popping off the coolant tank, then the hand pump broke! $180 to rent that kit from advanced... I guess I'm going to have to test after I just installed a brand new blower......

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Reaction score
Since there is coolant right below the lower intake, could it be possible that it's leaking coolant from where the supercharger and the lower IC meet? Maybe a hole in the lower IC some where?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
I have the tools for doing stock ford cams

Heads lifting off the gaskets on these cars is more common than people care to admit, apparently. I know of a handful of cars, and at least one isnt even a drag racer.

OP
grey03svt

grey03svt

Reaction score
Since there is coolant right below the lower intake, could it be possible that it's leaking coolant from where the supercharger and the lower IC meet? Maybe a hole in the lower IC some where?
my coolant level in my IC tank was never low, but the main tank for the cooling system would always be low after i drive it.

Mystic Terminator

Reaction score
Heads lifting off the gaskets on these cars is more common than people care to admit, apparently. I know of a handful of cars, and at least one isnt even a drag racer.
Guilty :-o

Been there - Done that... :damnit:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom