• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Blown engine update

Oct 2, 2011
ok I got the intake lid and valve covers off. all 4 chains look to be ok although the passenger side exhaust cam is locked up tight. I pulled the plugs, and they are undamaged and there isnt any damage or debris visible through the holes. thats as far as i have got so far. will pull the cam out after a few hours of sleep, and see what I can see. opinions? we'll see who is right?
smile.gif

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
My friend who is a ford tech sees this every once in a while. Its always an oiling issue due to a blockage in that cam cap.
Sounds like you got lucky...you will need a new head, cam, both heads rebuilt, head gaskets/bolts etc etc.
If you do the work yourself it will probably cost you about $1000

Oct 2, 2011
cam lobes appear ok, but found some marks on the casting part of the cams probably from when the chain broke. would love to find some of the 96-98 cobra cams. i dont really want to spend $1200 on cams yet. have to prioritize at this point in the build, or should i say possible rebuild if i have damaged pistons.

Oct 2, 2011
Just a little update. As some of you know my F350 was stolen a couple months ago which kind of put a hault to my build, but that ordeal is finally coming to an end so I feel comfortable with spending a little of my nest egg again. I am pleased to say My MM will be paying Mr. Zack a visit for some much needed TLC. I'm looking forward to the meeting The Man. The Myth. The Legend known as Zack. :)

raresvt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2007
My friend who is a ford tech sees this every once in a while. Its always an oiling issue due to a blockage in that cam cap.
Sounds like you got lucky...you will need a new head, cam, both heads rebuilt, head gaskets/bolts etc etc.
If you do the work yourself it will probably cost you about $1000

This is exactly what happened to me!! Only I wasn't so lucky I broke the secondary chain on the driver side, and ruined the head. New bearings, heads and valvetrain along with crower stage 3 cams I was in it for close to 4k

I'm hoping all thats wrong with the heads are a couple of bent valves or dropped seats or both on #8 cylinder. It's hard to see the face of the cylinder head with the video probe. All I could tell was both exhaust valves are open. I couldn't tell why. The good news is that I couldn't see any evidence that anything touched the piston. It even left a mark in the carbon on top of the piston when I pushed the video probe in too far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best possible scenerio. No matter what Zack finds when he gets it apart. I know it will be right when I get it back. :)

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
What was Doms job? A 1,2,3 - 100?

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Mine was no 3 day job by a long shot. Even if we had all parts and moneys from the beginning. Even then I was expecting it to take as long as it did. No doubts in Zack at all, I just knew this was a major project.

Plus finding all the other things need replacing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info