Blast Cabinets

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The glass will be a lot easier to change this way. I put the bolts in the wrong way, jammed the nuts on, and cut reliefs in the trim ring. Then I got the wing nuts from Lowes.
PXL_20221117_221944692.MP.jpg

The plumbing is pretty much done. I just need a fitting for the blow gun. I decided to skip the QCs because I didn't want a pressure drop.
PXL_20221117_222002157.jpg

The basement is re-plumbed with a new drop, the plexi is cut, and there's an extra strip of foam around the door. I guess I'll silicone seams next.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm still plugging away at this thing, but almost done. Wife siliconed most of the exterior seams for me. She's a lot better at that stuff. I added the blow gun, trimmed the window seal a bit since the retainer was getting stuck on it, and came up with a way to secure the ball valve.

There was nothing wrong with the bulkhead, but there was a lot of weight hanging off to one side which made all of the plumbing want to move around and loosen the bulk head jam nut. Eventually it would screw up the hole on the cabinet, cause a leak, and I would forever be tip-toeing around that ball valve so that I don't have to retighten connections all the time. No thanks. My orphan hardware and home electrical stashes saved the day.
1669034397825.png

"That ain't going nowhere"

I love when I go to my hardware stash to look for nuts that will stack up and end up finding a spacer that's already the perfect height. :love: It's like fate actually wants my shit to work.

At this point, I think I just need to vacuum all the metal and caulk shavings out of the hopper, fill it with media, and cross my fingers, although I'm also expecting to need to redo my suction hose. I watched a video on how the air lock ball valve is supposed to be set. Apparently the clear reinforced tubing included in the ebay kits was chosen methodically. When setting the ball valve, you hold the trigger, and watch how much media flows through the tube. The more the better obviously, but I assume it will be too difficult to notice an immediate difference just by blasting something. Plus, you can't see through the window and set the valve at the same time unless you're Stretch Armstrong. I'm also slightly worried about drawing media through the elbows I used, but at least they sweep. ?ā€ā™‚ļø

I'm hovering right around the "fuck-it" level with this thing. For some reason, I'm still having fun working on it, but I also realize that I've wasted a couple weeks that could have been used prepping the corroded GN parts via much more miserable methods.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
How to turn your cheap blast cabinet into a cheap, but slightly more sealed, blast cabinet :s00ls:
This is definitely not a thread for the buy once/cry once crowd, but the price gap between these and any of the decent pre-assembled units are outrageous. I'm certainly spending the difference in time and plumbing though. I'm not expecting this to be any better than a $1200 unit in the end, but I do hope that I at least have a tool to be proud of when it's online. If so, I can see a couple friends visiting more often. lol

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Anybody want to help me choose a media? Everything I'm reading from suppliers says that glass beads are not-reusable, but I also read about a lot of people using it over and over again. I was leaning more toward aluminum oxide, but I'm unsure if that will be too aggressive on aluminum parts that I just want to dull down. maybe I can just turn the pressure down?

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Anybody want to help me choose a media? Everything I'm reading from suppliers says that glass beads are not-reusable, but I also read about a lot of people using it over and over again. I was leaning more toward aluminum oxide, but I'm unsure if that will be too aggressive on aluminum parts that I just want to dull down. maybe I can just turn the pressure down?
What are you blasting, and what finish are you looking for?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
What are you blasting, and what finish are you looking for?
I'm starting to grasp the fact that this matters a lot more than I initially hoped. I'll be blasting all kinds of junk. It'll pretty much always be thick stuff, but rusty steel, cast iron, cast aluminum....

I want my cast aluminum intake, timing cover, and valve covers to look like new again. I'd like to make my rusty cast turbo elbow ready for paint. I also have a polished turbo compressor housing that I want to look like natural aluminum again.

I'm guessing there isn't a media that can do all of that stuff particularly well.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I'm starting to grasp the fact that this matters a lot more than I initially hoped. I'll be blasting all kinds of junk. It'll pretty much always be thick stuff, but rusty steel, cast iron, cast aluminum....

I want my cast aluminum intake, timing cover, and valve covers to look like new again. I'd like to make my rusty cast turbo elbow ready for paint. I also have a polished turbo compressor housing that I want to look like natural aluminum again.

I'm guessing there isn't a media that can do all of that stuff particularly well.

Yeah, you will be looking at two different types of media at minimum. For rusty, heavy scale iron, steel, etc you'll want a heavier grit aluminum oxide. If it's steel parts that is really clean, you can use a lighter grit, or glass. For aluminum, plastic media works really well to restore a stock finish, and remove paint or powder coating with minimal part damage. Glass bead works well, but will leave a frosted finish, but smooth. Aluminum oxide on aluminum parts will pit the surface, and can cause surface warp so not recommended. Different types of media, also have air pressure ratings, so try and stick in the range for them to be most effective. I keep 3 different medias on hand, which when not in use i store in 5 gallon buckets with lids from that i got from home depot. You will also want to get some strainers, and keep the media clean. Not too important with steel parts, but chunks of debris will cause damage to aluminum parts when looking for a fine finish and debris gets trough the gun

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Oh man. Thanks for the response.

I just googled strainers. It looks like its most common to do this while changing the media? Could you not just put a fine screen over the floor of the cabinet? Mine is more of a fence so I'd like to put some form of screen on it to prevent dropping small parts into the hopper anyway.

Also good to know about the media types because I would have screwed that up. It sounds like I'll need at least two types. I'm thinking low grit aluminum oxide for my steel and cast iron stuff because I don't think I'll ever give a shit about the finish quality on that stuff. I'll just want the rust gone, so I can paint it. I don't like the frosted aluminum finish though. Is plastic media hard enough to knock a polished aluminum finish down to something duller?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Oh man. Thanks for the response.

I just googled strainers. It looks like its most common to do this while changing the media? Could you not just put a fine screen over the floor of the cabinet? Mine is more of a fence so I'd like to put some form of screen on it to prevent dropping small parts into the hopper anyway.

Also good to know about the media types because I would have screwed that up. It sounds like I'll need at least two types. I'm thinking low grit aluminum oxide for my steel and cast iron stuff because I don't think I'll ever give a shit about the finish quality on that stuff. I'll just want the rust gone, so I can paint it. I don't like the frosted aluminum finish though. Is plastic media hard enough to knock a polished aluminum finish down to something duller?
Nah, the fine screen will clog up there. So we just have it go in a 5 gal bucket and then sift through.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Nah, the fine screen will clog up there. So we just have it go in a 5 gal bucket and then sift through.
Should I still try to get something a little finer than this? I know I'm going to be PISSED when I drop a half-blasted rusty bolt through this grate. I suppose I could get a metal noodle strainer from Wal-Mart or something to hold all my small stuff too.
1669221179662.png

How critical is it to get ALL the old media out when you're changing to a different type? I guess it will help to have my blow gun to move any accumulation on the edges, but it would suck to ruin a part over contamination. I assume you don't need to get to crazy with cleaning or anything?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Should I still try to get something a little finer than this? I know I'm going to be PISSED when I drop a half-blasted rusty bolt through this grate. I suppose I could get a metal noodle strainer from Wal-Mart or something to hold all my small stuff too.
View attachment 141170

How critical is it to get ALL the old media out when you're changing to a different type? I guess it will help to have my blow gun to move any accumulation on the edges, but it would suck to ruin a part over contamination. I assume you don't need to get to crazy with cleaning or anything?
Nah, we use like a miners bowl for nuts/bolts, so they don't drop. You'll get the hang of it, it's just going to be trial and error for whatever works best for you.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
View attachment 141170

I would recommend something finer for sure. Smaller parts or bolts will easily go through that. It is pretty important when swapping media out to be as thorough as possible to limit contamination. I will normally drain all my media, then use the gun as an air blaster to go around the whole cabinet. It will clear whatever is in the lines, but will also blow out as much old media as possible from the cracks or areas hard to reach. I do this a few times, while also doing light taps around the cabinet. I also take this time to clean the lights and clean the windows, change out the glass covers if needed. Kind of give it a refresh when swapping media.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Slow progress, I know. The holidays are stressful.

I looked at this thing again last night while cleaning the basement. While I liked the way that the blue hose and fitting looked, it wasn't going to be very practical. Setting the ball valve for optimum media flow was going to be impossible if I couldn't see it, and the 90 was probably not the greatest helper. I decided to quit worrying about it and change it. It's not as pretty, but its also a tool, not a show toy.
1670331077523.png

I'm really antsy to try this thing out. The only thing really holding me back is a dust collector, but I gave that out as a Christmas idea.

• Wow

Thread Info