Black Friday Laptop Steals?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You guys see any laptop steals yet? I am going to get Amy a new one for Christmas and all she uses it for is surfing and streaming. Don't need a powerhouse. I'm thinking one of the $400-$500 range models with $100+ off for Black Friday.

I want 8GB RAM and an SSD so she's not sitting there twiddling her thumbs waiting for loading. Intel i3 processor or better. AMD?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I picked up that MSI gaming laptop for $500 and it’s actually a pretty nice basic gaming laptop for the money. Can upgrade the memory to 64gb, add an additional ssd, and upgrade the NVM if I need for some future proofing.

DE0C6655-6428-48DD-92DE-A3AA1B757585.jpeg

4AB9599E-06B8-4A88-9770-52DE5E1006C3.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I thought about getting that one for Amy but it's throwing an extra $50 away for nothing for the uses she will have for her laptop. I'd get it for myself in a second.

Getting her this one for $450 instead. She won't need to upgrade to Windows 11 in a year or two so that saves her some money, too. For basic computing/surfing, this should do the job well. She won't upgrade anything on it but it is capable of 16GB RAM, has a 2.5 HD slot, SSD is upgradable, WiFi is upgradable. Nice for the price. Her current laptop has an HDD so she's going to be blown away by SSD speed and the quad core processor.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
I thought about getting that one for Amy but it's throwing an extra $50 away for nothing for the uses she will have for her laptop. I'd get it for myself in a second.

Getting her this one for $450 instead. She won't need to upgrade to Windows 11 in a year or two so that saves her some money, too. For basic computing/surfing, this should do the job well. She won't upgrade anything on it but it is capable of 16GB RAM, has a 2.5 HD slot, SSD is upgradable, WiFi is upgradable. Nice for the price. Her current laptop has an HDD so she's going to be blown away by SSD speed and the quad core processor.

I have an older version of this laptop. Does great for basic stuff. Only thing I hate are the speakers, really crappy. And recently found out the webcam is junk when I had to do a zoom call.

But aside from those minor issues. Everyone is solid, it’s quick and I added a 2.5ssd for storage.

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, I have an upgraded Aspire 5 with SSD myself. I have a soundbar I can use if I want better sound. Supposedly the tilting chassis on the new one gives better sound and keyboard angle. I watched a disassembly/upgrade video for the new one and was impressed by what Acer has done for the Aspire over the past few years. They seem to actually care about improvement and putting out a good product. They make it easy to disassemble/upgrade/reassemble and their motherboards can handle upgrades better than some other manufacturers.

Still, that MSI is tempting. ? Amy said buy it for myself and give her mine but I'm not going to do that for her Christmas present.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I picked up that MSI gaming laptop for $500 and it’s actually a pretty nice basic gaming laptop for the money. Can upgrade the memory to 64gb, add an additional ssd, and upgrade the NVM if I need for some future proofing.

View attachment 106099

View attachment 106100

just ordered this for my 11 year old, fits all his needs in a gaming laptop for his age, and the upgrades im sure will happen in the future! thanks for the find!

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Got this for my wife for work. Should be here Monday

Reactions: Flyn and frank

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
We went and looked at the laptops. Amy didn't like the MSI. Too bulky for her lap. She likes the 14" size on the Acer and doesn't really care at all about the internal components. Size matters. I had to use my phone to order it even though I'm standing inside Walmart and they won't have it ready until tomorrow.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Got this for my wife for work. Should be here Monday

Bought this @$579.99 now at $699.99

:fy:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Asus makes a good machine.

I chatted and called Walmart today after they put a hold on my bank account for the price of the laptop and didn't release it quickly after I paid for and picked up the Acer laptop. Escalated the call and the supervisor gave me another 10% off after I pointed out the chat guy had intentionally lied to me rather than remove the hold.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info