On Topic Bitcoin is way up.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
seems foolish to go on a high about. the ETF is essentially a stupid buy. although bitcoin and all cryptos are generally more about hype than anything.

some dude with some clout i'm friends with on facebook keeps pumping floki to his wide audience, which simply seems a hype train, doesn't seem to acknowledge that all he's really doing is shilling his book and bilking his audience of wannabe get rich quick idiots. i suppose at some point if people are stupid enough to give you money you should take it, on the other, i couldn't ever come on here touting some near pyramid scam to people and feeling good about it.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the catch all for crypto related stuff thread or not…

But is anyone else running a Helium hotspot miner? I’ve since upgraded the antenna and am working on getting it on a 25’ pole for better signal/earnings. But have made ~$120 in a little over 15 days so far with it placed in my window. Helium dropped about 20% this week so the earnings are down.

4B64A602-3259-4FCB-B1C5-39B44FAB8FBC.jpeg

41CC25D7-BD07-46FA-8DC4-C3E8EFCCD47D.jpeg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I looked into it, but the miner is hard to find for a reasonable cost. And it was unclear how much I would get based on my location.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I looked into it, but the miner is hard to find for a reasonable cost. And it was unclear how much I would get based on my location.
Yeah I was lucky to catch a drop MNTD had and bought 3. Setting the second one up at a buddies house Saturday and think I’ll set the other one up at my brothers house in Des Planes when I’m in town next week.

You should be able to get a decent idea using this site https://explorer.helium.com/ and looking at what others around you are making. Ideally you want your own hex but as long as the ones in your hex are 300 meters away you should still get some solid rewards. And obviously getting a picking the correct antenna for your area getting it on the roof or a flag pole helps tremendously.

Below is my hotspot. I have upgraded from the 2.3dBi antenna to an 8dBi and my antenna is 1 meter off the ground, first floor window.
I am in my own hex, though I kinda fudged my location to put it two houses further down or else I would have been in a hex with two others. That is what effects the Transmit Scale. That is the percentage of reward you get for certain things. If in your area all the ones around you are lower you’ll earn less when your miner connects to theirs. So if your in a spot that those are still 1.00 you should be good. But if look at certain spots in Chicago you’ll find 10+ in one hex and they are getting like a .5 or .33 or even .23 transmit scale.
EDBAFE9A-9FD6-48D4-BC30-1825C3DBAC29.jpeg

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
What is this?
It’s super complicated to explain typing it out on here I now realize LOL

It’s basically Helium paying you rewards for helping them build their digital network or “Internet of Things”. Think of it like how Ring doorbells and Amazon Echo products communicate with others in your area. They are building a digital network. This is similar to that but Helium doesn’t have a product to do that. So they created their own crypto and pay it as a reward for when your miner sees the beacon sent out by other miners or they see yours.

Voskcoin on youtube has some great videos on it.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Looks like I’d be in my own hex. But holy fuck are these miners expensive.
Yeah and most are crazy lead times like 20+ weeks. MNTD is a new one, well new brand at least, and they are only selling what they make and have done a drop every two weeks lately. But they sell out super fast and this weeks drop was fucked, I tried for an hour but it wouldn’t let me checkout.

There is also Bobcat that have been delivering and are the manufacturer but those are 20 week lead times.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I just realized MNTD doesn’t have prices listed when sold out. The gold ones were $479 each so $500 after tax and shipping. The black ones are $399. Don’t think the gold do anything better than the black but they have more ram, no idea what benefit that has though.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah and most are crazy lead times like 20+ weeks. MNTD is a new one, well new brand at least, and they are only selling what they make and have done a drop every two weeks lately. But they sell out super fast and this weeks drop was fucked, I tried for an hour but it wouldn’t let me checkout.

There is also Bobcat that have been delivering and are the manufacturer but those are 20 week lead times.

What are the non ebay price gouge prices on these? I didn’t see anything on their site

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score

these just look like raspberry pis.... can you just build you own?

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
these just look like raspberry pis.... can you just build you own?
They are I believe but idk shit about building these but I imagine you could. They sell some kit like this for them but I don’t know that stuff.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
They are I believe but idk shit about building these but I imagine you could. They sell some kit like shit for them but I don’t know that stuff is.

sounds like people were spoofing and now you have to buy them from "verified vendors"

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
Some people are making crazy earnings…
apologies, didn't watch the vid - does anything actually operate on this built out network?

why are these people making crazy earnings and not you? do you want to be the only person in your area? i am in mexico city and my power is included/free and can't imagine there are a bunch of people using this here.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
apologies, didn't watch the vid - does anything actually operate on this built out network?

why are these people making crazy earnings and not you? do you want to be the only person in your area? i am in mexico city and my power is included/free and can't imagine there are a bunch of people using this here.
I just started 17 days ago and half that was stock antenna and it’s still sitting in my window, ranch house with two story house all around me and elevation changes all around here. So my signal hasn’t been amazing. Those guys have theirs 6-15 meters in there air and might be on a hill top or higher elevation.

So being in your own hex is good but you need to have other miners around you to witness or be witnessed by. So being a lone wolf doesn’t really net you any rewards.

Here is a shot over Mexico City (or at least I think cause the app changes it to the language of the country you hover over). Densely populated areas can run into the issue you have with the hex that has 7 miners in it. You click that hex and it shows you all of those have made about 1.0 HNT in 30 days, that sucks. But adding another miner in that area isn’t helping Helium build there so the reduce the transmit scale. All of those have a sub .32 transmit scale so they get 32% or less oof the reward they would normally get when connecting/witnessing each other.

27814E37-8FF0-4FA0-B2B1-9178840CC59F.jpeg

18612566-ED02-4ABE-9F5E-CFE5C53A88AA.png

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Reading about it on their site might answer that better than I can. And honestly I haven’t even read the site lol. A co-worker turned me on to this and I’ve mostly just watched the videos and decided to get in after seeing the results over the last two months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom