Netflix Bird Box

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I only have one major issue with the movie, and it's such a large plot hole that it just ruins it for me. I think I suspended my disbelief enough where I could see demonic creatures causing mass suicides. But they can't figure out a way to enter a car or building?!?! They can get into someone's head to know their deepest, darkest fear, but can't get through a door?!?!

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Who wants to go with me?!?!?!

https://abc7chicago.com/entertainme...k-to-ca-home-for-blindfolded-selfies/5014166/

Rabid fandom for Netflix's smash horror hit "Bird Box" has inspired a new online challenge: People wearing blindfolds, just like Sandra Bullock's character in the horror film.

And many of the fans are also making the pilgrimage to Monrovia - to a house featured in the movie.

5012603_010319-kabc-6pm-bird-box-challenge-vid.jpg

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I only have one major issue with the movie, and it's such a large plot hole that it just ruins it for me. I think I suspended my disbelief enough where I could see demonic creatures causing mass suicides. But they can't figure out a way to enter a car or building?!?! They can get into someone's head to know their deepest, darkest fear, but can't get through a door?!?!

You know nothing of the entity, but they are supposed to have no weaknesses in your mind?

Vampires traditionally are extremely powerful, but hurt by simple things like garlic, crosses, and silver. They are immortal, have unbelievable strength and powers yet they cannot enter into a person's home unless invited in. It can be perceived as a silly weakness yet you accept it because that is what nearly every vampire movie depicts.

There wouldn't even be a Bird Box movie if the entity could enter into whatever it wanted because everybody would be dead instantly. If they could open a door, then they could just lift your blindfold off.

Like [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION] said, suspend disbelief.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Vampires traditionally are extremely powerful, but hurt by simple things like garlic, crosses, and silver. They are immortal, have unbelievable strength and powers yet they cannot enter into a person's home unless invited in. It can be perceived as a silly weakness yet you accept it because that is what nearly every vampire movie depicts.

Like [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION] said, suspend disbelief.

I accept the vampire deal because it is written in stone and everyone knows it as fact (fictionally speaking of course). If it weren't explained that vampires can't enter a home without an invitation, I would have the same gripe.

It seems like they started with an idea of blindfolds being the only defense against the creatures. But they couldn't come up with a logical way to explain the plot hole, so they just left it to the audience to come to their own conclusion. I don't think most people need to be spoon fed information, but this is kind of the main premise they dance around.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
...Because if you start to poke at one aspect of the movie, why not all of it?

I suspend belief for horror and sci fi movies, because it makes the movies that much more interesting. I'm talking more about the premise.

That said, for this movie, the idea they spent 48 hours on the river would have just been as impressive it was just a few hours.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Super late to the party (surprise surprise), but wife and I watched this yesterday. With all the trash talking, memes, and articles about how its racist and how mental illnesses are being discriminated against, we didnt think it was that bad.

Apparently the ending was slightly different in the book compared to the movie.
They make it to the sanctuary, but everyone in the sanctuary purposely blinded themselves so the monsters wouldnt be able to do anything to them. Netflix probably didnt want to put everyone in a down mood before Christmas.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Bird Box was Netflix’s big winter event movie just before Christmas back in 2018. Sandra Bullock starred in the adaptation of Josh Malerman‘s sci-fi thriller novel of the same name, which takes place in the aftermath of the decimation of the world’s population by an mysterious entity that compels people to commit suicide, usually in a gruesome fashion, after they’ve laid their eyes upon it.

Through flashbacks we see the beginning of the widespread death as Sandra Bullock tries to find sanctuary with her two kids in tow. Now we’ll see how her story continues because Josh Malerman has confirmed that Netflix is currently developing a sequel based on his follow-up book Malorie, named after Sandra Bullock’s character.

Inverse got word of the Bird Box sequel in an interview with Josh Malerman leading up to the release of Malorie on July 21. You can check out the synopsis for the book below, but just beware that it contains spoilers for the first movie:

Twelve years after Malorie and her children rowed up the river to safety, a blindfold is still the only thing that stands between sanity and madness. One glimpse of the creatures that stalk the world will drive a person to unspeakable violence. There remains no explanation. No solution. All Malorie can do is survive—and impart her fierce will to do so on her children. Don’t get lazy, she tells them. Don’t take off your blindfold. AND DON’T LOOK.

But then comes what feels like impossible news. And with it, the first time Malorie has allowed herself to hope. Someone very dear to her, someone she believed dead, may be alive.

Malorie has already lost so much: her sister, a house full of people who meant everything, and any chance at an ordinary life. But getting her life back means returning to a world full of unknowable horrors—and risking the lives of her children again.

Because the creatures are not the only thing Malorie fears: There are the people who claim to have caught and experimented on the creatures. Murmerings of monstrous inventions and dangerous new ideas. And rumors that the creatures themselves have changed into something even more frightening.

Malorie has a harrowing choice to make: to live by the rules of survival that have served her so well, or to venture into the darkness and reach for hope once more.

Based on the synopsis, I wonder if Tom (Trevante Rhodes), a fellow survivor who Malorie fell in love with, somehow survived. It seemed pretty clear that he shot himself in the head, but the synopsis does say the news seems impossible. Since the death of her sister (Sarah Paulson) is mentioned, it doesn’t seem like she’ll be coming back. Is there someone else close to her that we don’t know about who may have somehow returned?

Although the book says the story picks up 12 years after the end of the first book, we do spend some time at the school for the blind where Malorie and the children found sanctuary. Malerman says we start at the school, flash forward a few years later, and then the main story in the book begins 10 years after that.

Bird Box was a big hit when it was released, bringing in around 45 million viewers in the first week of release, which was enough to be Netflix’s most watched movie launch at the time. Though the movie felt like it tread the same territory as A Quiet Place, albeit with a different sense impacted, it did pack an emotional punch and plenty of suspense, not to mention gruesome deaths. Will audiences turn out in the same numbers for the sequel?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info