big boy in my yard

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have a habit of leaving my doors open because my villa is hot (big rear window, big skylights) and i don't want to pay for a/c, so that at least gets some air in here. although i turned a bedroom into an office where i'll close the door and use the a/c.

this has inadvertently led to birds being in the house a couple times, who go up to the second floor where the windows and doors are closed so they can't get out. then they fly around until i hear them and go help them out, usually shitting random places. anyway, saw this big fella in my yard today, so probably not going to leave the front doors open nearly as much now. i would not enjoy popping out of the office to see him in the kitchen.

in some villas of other people i know, they have monkey problems, which does include an occasional monkey in the kitchen. which is no bueno cuz they are dicks. moreso to women apparently

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
i had an outdoor kitchen at a place in bali before and just had a bedroom with a/c. one morning i woke up, popped the door open, and saw a snake going down the hall away from me towards the kitchen. went back to bed for 3 hours and gave him time to leave the way he came in
Would not have been able to go back to sleep. Would think that fucker is gonna slither under my bedroom door lol.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
It'd be cool to roll up on an iguana. I get little lizards crawling all over the walls in my backyard and always try to catch and play with one but they're too fast for me.

Where are you sickmint79 sickmint79?

i have little ones all around. started volunteering at an animal shelter on the weekends, last day one of the cats seemed sneakily protecting something and others started gathering around. she caught a little lizard. then would let it go, then pounce on and catch it again. cats play with a lot of stuff to death. i didn't want to handle him and didn't have any way to get her to give him up and another cat snatch him, so i just sang the circle of life and went on with my life, which consisted of cleaning a lot of cat boxes at that point. this is a bunch of them after a rainy afternoon.

i was in the philippines in jan, northern thailand in feb, and have been on an island in thailand since late feb that is a couple hours by ferry southeast of phuket. i think, i never actually go there. although i have kart every kart track in thailand, and phuket is a good spot for that.

Would not have been able to go back to sleep. Would think that fucker is gonna slither under my bedroom door lol.

he probably left nearly instantly actually! another time i walked into the kitchen and a small lizard startled me, although at any given time usually 1 or 2 were crawling around on a wall somewhere. anyway, kinda jumped and landed on him. i thought it was kind of a soft land, so i was like, uhhhhh, maybe you're ok lil fella? i'll leave you be? mebbe? went out for lunch and came back. he was not ok and now i had a bunch of ants trying to eat him

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have a lizard sitting on my grill right now. They stake out territories during their lifetimes, stick around a while until something gets them.

I will call this one Tiny because he's small. Hopefully he learns to get off the grill when I turn it on. Otherwise Tiny will be toasty.

Tiny is a friendly little guy. Actually let me get up to within a foot of him. He's hanging out with me.

pPsUoTB.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have a small one like that in my scooter. actually i hope he left as i haven't seen/noticed him in a while, but when i opened up the seat he'd scurry around. i tried to get rid of him but he just climbed into the bike. i know he has survived multiple rides and not been smushed or cooked. haven't noticed him a bit though, so he's either sneakily still under my seat, or chose to leave, or ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a ride...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm trying to negotiate my way into equal to slightly to way more pimp villas (or one cheaper one) and the guy i'm talking to is driving me nuts, as he is taking 2+ days to respond and keeps trying to push me to smaller places, saying these are for families, etc. i'm here though, and i have money. the country is not letting anyone in, is dealing with protestors, and seems to have an unrealistic goal of practically no new covid cases. the few people here are trickling out leaving to their home countries, and the thais don't travel that much domestically, certainly not to my lesser traveled island in low season, where it would be rare for them to afford these places either. anyway, hoping to switch soon to somewhere right on the beach (i'm a row away) or cheaper, or one is mega pimp. has a home theater on the 2nd floor and everything, probably the coolest house on the island. i'd also probably be paying the most of anyone on the island still though.

Reactions: Shawn1112

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
that's the annoyance - it is not working, as he and/or owners think thailand will open, tourists will come, and they will come to my reasonably lesser known island, and even do so now in its low season (low until mid nov). so he's trying to 'protect' or reserve the higher end properties.

any given day here 0/15 beach villas have people in them. some for months. the most ever was like 4 villas had people for a weekend on a thai holiday.

the remaining 30 villas have people in only 4 of them. 3 of the 4 are people from my social circle i knew before moving here, which is one of the only social circles on the island with both the ability and willingness to possibly pay to stay here at all. and half the people in that circle are now going home.

in reality i'm practically doing the owner a favor by house sitting for them.

there's actually a site (most popular in europe i think) where people will give you free rent or possibly even pay you to watch their house, and some are quite nice. also some reasonably remote. you need pretty flexible moving schedules though and it seems to work best for women. https://www.trustedhousesitters.com

in any case this shit is annoying but hopefully resolved soon.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Dang that's nice! Is that whole space yours?

yep, peak quarantine all these villas had people, the larger ones like this generally 4+. right now there's i believe only 4 total with any people, 2 pairs of roommates and my buddy kevin. his house was behind my old one.

the blue tiles are for the water overflow for his 3rd floor pool lol. his kitchen is also up there, with a deep fryer and espresso machine too.

i'm trying to fanaggle my way into a super cool one, it's like my shape but wider and also longer. the inside looks really cool, and the back even has a theater room on the 2nd floor.

2c155881-1b07-4268-a312-e59c5df6668f.jpg

963cf785-3f53-4491-9fa7-5fbd319b9d75.jpg

ba3fdcfa-0564-420e-97bc-efa4cc5ea9af.jpg

some friends stayed in it during quarantine. it's undergoing renovations now and it is a challenge negotiating sometimes because some of these people are optimistic thailand is going open up to tourists... who can still afford to come, and who will go through with the quarantine requirements, and who will make it to my lesser touristed island, and then be willing and able to afford a place like this.

it would be doable without a roommate but i'd rather have one there to split the costs, if i can even get in. this place has had like the most protection from a sickmint79 trying to lock in a low low monthly rate. like the rate i'm offering for a month is less than what they would even do a week for probably at any time last year. but these places are sitting empty. people gave me a hard time about the amount i just got this place for, in reality 4 of them on the beach agreed to it, and of course i'm only going to move into 1 house. i have no idea why anyone is playing hardball at this point, the few people who are both willing and able to pay for these places are generally trickling out and leaving both the island and thailand now.

Dude...
When can we visit?

there were rumors of letting people in if they stay for 30+ days and do a 14 day hotel quarantine in phuket where they will be tested twice. i think the rumor of that happening was sept or oct? the reality is it may very well not happen at all, and that's quite a burden. maybe by 2021. i'm not sure if i'm going home for holidays yet, or if i'm going to execute on my work from nurburgring plan by april/may next year. i was about to buy a flight home but then postponed it, as i don't want to be in the US longer than 30 days for tax reasons now. i'm worried if i touch the US i won't be able to go to another country. you can help me pay for movie theater villa any way you sneak in though.

Reactions: Spivitz

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
at my new house i got a sweet girl kitty, who i finally broke down to buy food for, but haven't seen her after that :/ think she may have been in a fight with a thicc boi who roams around the area who is quite the scrapper of a cat. that or this monitor lizard hanging out in my yard more often that i'd prefer. black kitty much more fun to pet so i hope she comes back.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
That is a killer spot for $1350ish. What’s the bug situation like - big spiders or roaches anywhere?

of things you'll actually encounter and are bothersome, mosquitoes and monkeys. some people in my class had a villa that was not even that far off the main road, but just a little more back up to the trees and all, and their villa had lots of outdoor stuff, like the kitchen. and the monkeys would come and steal their fruit. or take their playing cards and throw them all over etc. so they had to monkey proof their shit. plus the woman said they'd be be brazen assholes around her if the husband wasn't around. an enjoyable purchase has been my electrified racket for killing skeeters, as i still smile every time i catch a fucker. some snakes here too, ones that are no big deal, who i still don't want to meet, and some that are a big deal.

How have i missed this thread before.... What a place and lifestyle for the money! Need to move

note this is covid special pricing! this island has high and low seasons, not sure what normal low season pricing might be like (i've never been here then) but am usually staying somewhere a lot more modest. i was paying more, but the guest house next to mine when i first came for high season had a decent normal room though and it was $600/mo. i'm on an island, if you go to northern thailand like chiang mai though, you can live in one of the nicer areas and still pay even less. you could also [easily] straight up live out of a hotel if you wanted too.

Reactions: ChrisRac
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info