đź’¦ Detailing Best way to care for fresh paint

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I had the bumpers repainted on my Camaro this past spring, Body shop told me 30 days.

I would ask the body shop that worked on the vehicle but 14-60 days seems to be about right.

as for a product, I have had good luck with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
It is a polymer based sealant that will last longer than a carnauba wax.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
giphy.gif

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I believe the paint is 'baked' for a set amount of time but the materials still off-gas. I know clear coats are moving towards being water based in some OE applications ( or so I hear / see )
Why else would body shops suggest waiting ? They are the experts.... right ?

giphy.gif
I thought they all switched to water based paints back in the late 80's. I remember that shortly after GM switched in 1986-87 is when they had the massive recall where entire finishes would just peel away from the primer.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I thought they all switched to water based paints back in the late 80's. I remember that shortly after GM switched in 1986-87 is when they had the massive recall where entire finishes would just peel away from the primer.
The water based paint it just the base coat or color. The primers and clear are still the same solvent based stuff.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Can't the body shop like leave the vehicle in a heated booth to speed this up?
Yes, and we do. After it is baked the paint is basically dry enough to handle the parts and put the car back together. It’s actually still pretty soft and will scratch or chip easily

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info