🏡 Better Homes Best place to dispose of construction materials?

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Been doing a bunch of work around the house and took down a fuck ton of hobbled together wooden shelves.

Anyone have any experience with either the Elgin or Glenview Transfer Stations to dispose of large amounts of materials?

It’s mostly scrap wood, 2x4s and plywood. Lots of nails, and some painted etc. Burning is not an option for me and I’d rather not spend 6 weeks cutting it down and disposing in the garbage.

7E31FE48-DDCD-4E93-9525-0A246A1A9AD0.jpeg

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah just take it to a transfer station if you already have it all loaded up in a truck. It will be significantly cheaper than renting a dumpster or dump trailer. I don't have experience with the locations you mentioned, but have dumped at a southside location numerous times. They weigh your truck on the way in and the way out, and charge based off of how much weight you're leaving behind - with, I believe, a 1-ton minimum charge($50-75?).

Reactions: muskie

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
TL;DR - Bring a yellow safety vest, your credit card (no cash) and follow the rules.

Update:

Went to the Glenview Transfer Station this morning. Overall good experience, very Seinfeld Soup Nazi like. Follow the rules or deal with the shitty attitude of the employees.

You need to wear a yellow safety vest, they will make you buy one if you don’t have one. I picked one up at Harbor Freight along the way. Get there, weigh in, drive inside and unload your truck or trailer. They will not allow more than one person out of the vehicle so no helpers. When you’re done weigh out, take the slip inside and pay.

I had about 500lbs so 1/4 ton. Charged me $20. So overall way better than any other option.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info