Best entry level SUV?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My older daughter is looking for a car under $20K. She wants a small(er) SUV.

What would you guys suggest? Honda HR-V/CR-V? Toyota RAV4? Hyundai Kona? Something else?

She wants either new or less than 3 years old. Under $20K.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I like the Subaru Forester turbo but she doesn't care about performance and probably won't spend the extra $$ for the turbo. That car would be fun for me with 250hp/250tq.

I found her a 1997 Buick Skylark with only 30K miles 8 years ago and she has driven that since then. Loves that car, "Skybaby", so any one of these would be so much more car than she is used to.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
I would say either a Honda or a Toyota. Both are decent vehicles built to last

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I’d lean toward a rav4. I have two highlanders and love em. Toyota makes really reliable suvs.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Reaction score
I know you just mentioned it, but we loved our 16 Forester XT so much during a lease that we just ended up buying it outright last month because they dropped the turbo model now on the new ones. The redesigned ones look sharp however.

If she ends up getting one, turbo one or not, I was able to purchase a bumper to bumper extended warranty through subaru for 10 year/100k 0 deduct at basically cost, they have multiple choices and the guy has a huge thread one of the subaru forums, I can get you his info

Besides the Forester, I've heard great things about the newer redesigned CR-V, wifes good friend and he husband both have one they like them so much lol

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
I love my '17 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 ecoboost. It's more powerful than the RAV4 and CRV. Sync 3 with Android Auto or Apple Car Play is awesome.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I love my '17 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 ecoboost. It's more powerful than the RAV4 and CRV. Sync 3 with Android Auto or Apple Car Play is awesome.
yeah but horseshit mpg compared to those two.

not to mention, i doubt his daughter cares about more power.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
title should be "best 3 year or newer USED entry level suv for sub 20k"

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
tiguan, rav-4 and cr-v is where i'd be looking.

try to find fwd and not awd since you don't "need" awd, the cr-v, rav-4 and tiguan all shit all over the domestics for mpg. which is likely what more buyers in this segment care about than 0-60 times.

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
yeah but horseshit mpg compared to those two.

not to mention, i doubt his daughter cares about more power.
Good point about MPG. My commute is mostly highway. With full time awd I get between 20-21 MPG.

Everyone cares about more power whether they realize it or not lol.

I drove a new Nissan Rouge rental car for a few days last week. It was comfortable and handled nicely, but it was painfully slow with a CVT trans. The touch screen display was also useless during the day. Any sunlight made it difficult to see. Fuel economy was excellent though. I did around 700 miles of highway driving and averaged 29 mpg.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score

jason05gt

Reaction score
I drove a new Nissan Rouge rental car for a few days last week. It was comfortable and handled nicely, but it was painfully slow with a CVT trans. The touch screen display was also useless during the day. Any sunlight made it difficult to see. Fuel economy was excellent though. I did around 700 miles of highway driving and averaged 29 mpg.
I had one of these as a rental and spot on. I personally would not buy a vehicle with a CVT. They suck horrendously. They've slightly gotten better now that they "simulate" shifts like a normal auto, but I couldn't drive one.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had one of these as a rental and spot on. I personally would not buy a vehicle with a CVT. They suck horrendously. They've slightly gotten better now that they "simulate" shifts like a normal auto, but I couldn't drive one.
i'd buy CVT vehicles in a heart beat with no fucks given.

shit. i own two currently.

one of which is the most fun vehicle ive ever driven.

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
I test drove a Nissan Maxima with the CVT.....hated it.

GMC Terrain with AWD and the V6 is quite nice, the 4 cylinder is quite slow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom