• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Best double sided tape/glue?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
When I bought my Caddy, the driver's mirror was discolored. Looked like someone had wiped it with something that damaged the mirror qualities and made it cloudy.

I bought a replacement, stick on mirror which came with double sided stick on dots and that actually worked great for 3 years or so. Couldn't tell it was a stick on because it fit on top of the other mirror almost perfectly.

After several years in the Florida sun, the adhesive dots/double sided tape have worn out. I removed the stick on mirror and the dots before they fell off the car's original mirror. Didn't do any damage to the original or replacement mirrors and I used some goo gone to remove any remaining glue.

There's nothing wrong with the replacement mirror so I just need to stick it back on.

What's the best adhesive out there for something like this? 3M VSB? Is there something better than that that will hold up in high temperatures from Florida sun?

Here's the original replacement set up:

784509035_tp.jpg

419053525_tp.jpg

506736430_o.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
No not at all. Just go into glue section of any wal mart and there will be a epoxy in tubes. Mix it and set it and forget it. You might want to tape the mirror til it sets, kinda like how you see new windshields have tape on the top so they don't sag

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I may actually have some of that in my tape/glue box. Haven't used it in a long time so probably time to get a new one.

I know I could get a complete replacement mirror on Ebay but they're $130 compared to a few bucks for the glue. I did replace the entire passenger side mirror when I bought the car for, I think, around $90 with an Ebay mirror that was the same color as the car so no painting was needed.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I may actually have some of that in my tape/glue box. Haven't used it in a long time so probably time to get a new one.

I know I could get a complete replacement mirror on Ebay but they're $130 compared to a few bucks for the glue. I did replace the entire passenger side mirror when I bought the car for, I think, around $90 with an Ebay mirror that was the same color as the car so no painting was needed.
Assuming it's been sealed, it should still be good. I've been using the same epoxy mix for years.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Only problem with the glue is when this mirror gets damaged from the sun/heat, you can't remove it. you'd have to stick another one on over it.

The double sided tape will let you remove/replace as it wears out.

So otherwise, both Epoxy and DBL sided tape will do the job, one is just more permanent than the other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info