Best double sided tape/glue?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
When I bought my Caddy, the driver's mirror was discolored. Looked like someone had wiped it with something that damaged the mirror qualities and made it cloudy.

I bought a replacement, stick on mirror which came with double sided stick on dots and that actually worked great for 3 years or so. Couldn't tell it was a stick on because it fit on top of the other mirror almost perfectly.

After several years in the Florida sun, the adhesive dots/double sided tape have worn out. I removed the stick on mirror and the dots before they fell off the car's original mirror. Didn't do any damage to the original or replacement mirrors and I used some goo gone to remove any remaining glue.

There's nothing wrong with the replacement mirror so I just need to stick it back on.

What's the best adhesive out there for something like this? 3M VSB? Is there something better than that that will hold up in high temperatures from Florida sun?

Here's the original replacement set up:

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
2 part 5 min epoxy

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
No not at all. Just go into glue section of any wal mart and there will be a epoxy in tubes. Mix it and set it and forget it. You might want to tape the mirror til it sets, kinda like how you see new windshields have tape on the top so they don't sag

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That stuff's better than the commercial and 3M products? I did get 3 years out of the regular 3M dots that came with the kit.

I'd like to not have to worry about the mirror coming off for the life of the car.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I may actually have some of that in my tape/glue box. Haven't used it in a long time so probably time to get a new one.

I know I could get a complete replacement mirror on Ebay but they're $130 compared to a few bucks for the glue. I did replace the entire passenger side mirror when I bought the car for, I think, around $90 with an Ebay mirror that was the same color as the car so no painting was needed.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I may actually have some of that in my tape/glue box. Haven't used it in a long time so probably time to get a new one.

I know I could get a complete replacement mirror on Ebay but they're $130 compared to a few bucks for the glue. I did replace the entire passenger side mirror when I bought the car for, I think, around $90 with an Ebay mirror that was the same color as the car so no painting was needed.
Assuming it's been sealed, it should still be good. I've been using the same epoxy mix for years.

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
3M VHB is the best two sided tape. Need to clean surfaces very well first before using it though. If you garage park the car it won't matter what you use. If the car sits outside a lot I'd use 2 sided foam tape. allows some expansion/contraction

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

The car is out of the sun at times but it can sit outside in the sun for hours when I'm working. We also get the torrential, short rain showers at times which probably cool the mirror down fast.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Only problem with the glue is when this mirror gets damaged from the sun/heat, you can't remove it. you'd have to stick another one on over it.

The double sided tape will let you remove/replace as it wears out.

So otherwise, both Epoxy and DBL sided tape will do the job, one is just more permanent than the other.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a 2nd mirror on top would make it too thick to look right. I'd need to replace the mirror assembly then.

I will have to think about which way to go.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
The places I have gone that have done mirrors have sillyconed them for me :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom