Food / Drink Best Chicagoland Hot Dog

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
They're all the same for the most part. Same ingredients from the same suppliers. It comes down to Vienna vs. Red Hot vs. David Berg hot dogs, and S. Rosen vs. Turano buns. And both the dogs and the buns have to be steamed obviously.

I prefer David Berg (and Kosher hot dogs in general).
I don't think I've ever had David Berg, or at least I don't think so. What would be a popular place that has those?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Fat johnnies
Fat Johnny's on 72nd and Western
Totally forgot about Fat Johnnies, not bad. I drive past there at least 3 times a week, not sure how its still standing.
One of those places, if you dont know its there, you will drive right past it as it looks like an abandoned shack lol

Stopped there probably 10-12 years ago. Some dude (crack head), standing in the middle of Western, dropped his pants to his ankles. Popped a squat and took a shit right in the middle of Western in broad daylight with not a care in the world. Finished, didnt wipe, just pulled his pants up and walked off like no big deal.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Gene and Jude & Nanna's for that style hot dog (onion, relish, mustard all wrapped in home cut fries.
Big Sammy's for your traditional Chicago style hot dog (mustard, relish, onion, tomato, pickle, celery salt, poppy seed bun).
Ive heard that the owner of Nana's and the owners of Gene and Judes are related.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Ive heard that the owner of Nana's and the owners of Gene and Judes are related.

You would be correct. I believe it's siblings or they are cousins. I can't remember exactly the connection. I like Nanna's a bit more, only because they have a larger selection although I still only get the hot dogs. Plus it's so much dam closer.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm going with Portillos as well. It always consistent and checks all the chicago dog boxes. 90% of the time I eat a chicago dog it's from Portillos. I also love a soggy steamed bun.

Sammy's in Grayslake is pretty good too. I think they have other locations as well.

The Vienna outlet store was amazing too but they moved. I haven't been to the new loation.

I've had Mr Pup. It's decent.

I have heard good things about Paradise Pup on River Rd. I haven't there yet. Mr. Pup is a knock off from what I gather.
OVERRATED!!!!

Jimmys on Grand and Pulaski
We brought my buddies family 25 hot dogs from Jimmys to Orlando. We vacuum sealed them and packed in our luggage
They grew up on Jimmys and hadnt had them in 20yrs. They ate them all in a weekend lol.

I couldn't agree more. Gene and Judes is straight garbage compared to Jimmy's.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
We have a hotdog guy out here in Yorkville who makes the best hotdogs I've had in Chicago. He's a local guy who has a stand at our community park and has been doing it for like 30 years. Portillos isn't bad either, but their quality has dropped since they sold.

View attachment 84008
I've seen him out there for seemingly decades indeed! I never suspected it could be decent. I'll certainly stop by next time I'm going through town!

Reactions: VenomousDSG

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Anyone can make a good hot dog. Most buy their dogs from the same place - Vienna. Just need proper assembly and fresh ingredients..

Charring the the dogs is a plus.
Good tomatoes are key.
Cucumbers instead of a pickle is allowable, maybe preferred.
Sport peppers and celery salt is a must, so i don't know why some place make you ask for them.
Portillo's is average. Try more places if you disagree.
Gene and Jude's are depression dogs. OK if you like you hot dogs with only half the ingredients.
Pop's, Jr's, Bozo's, Gold Coast, Train stop (loop) and Paradise Pup all excel.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info