Food / Drink Best Chicagoland Hot Dog

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
What's everyone's favorite hot dog in or around the city?

I'm not as diehard for dogs like I am for pizza, but I still go around and try as many as I can. Went to the Northside hotdog fest back when I lived in the city (before Rona) and had a bunch of good ones.

My favorite place is in Lakeview East in the city. It's called Flub A Dub Chubs. Little place in the basement of a building. Hotdogs are delicious and the fries are good to boot. Wife lived down the street from it when she was in law school and I made sure to get it often. A place I'd definitely go out of my way to get.

What's everyone's favorite?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Ohh I live in Des Plaines and haven't had this one. Definitely going to try it out, thanks for the suggestion!
Always used to go to mr pup on Lee street. It’s been a long fucking time but used to go there all the time as a kid growing up in des Plaines.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
OVERRATED!!!!

Jimmys on Grand and Pulaski
We brought my buddies family 25 hot dogs from Jimmys to Orlando. We vacuum sealed them and packed in our luggage
They grew up on Jimmys and hadnt had them in 20yrs. They ate them all in a weekend lol.

Ginas on Irving and 83 in Bensenville is good as well.
I've drive past that place several times and never stopped in. I'm regretting it now. I'll definitely check it out next time I get down to the city.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Meh. I really don’t think there’s much of a difference between any of them. The fries are what makes the place. An all beef dog is an all beef dog to me.

Doggie diner in Woodridge.

giphy.gif

There are huge differences. Poppy seed bun or not
Dog thickness. Boiled or grilled. Steamed bun or out of the bag. Red hots are different than Vienna. Portillos has a casing (used to be so good, but not so much these days). Lots of factors at work here.

Reactions: Shawn1112

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
We have a hotdog guy out here in Yorkville who makes the best hotdogs I've had in Chicago. He's a local guy who has a stand at our community park and has been doing it for like 30 years. Portillos isn't bad either, but their quality has dropped since they sold.

Gene and Judes is completely overrated. Not terrible, but not that good....and it's absolutely filthy in there.

I'm going with Rand Red Hots in Des Plaines.

dyatlov.jpg.cf.jpg

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
OVERRATED!!!!

Jimmys on Grand and Pulaski
We brought my buddies family 25 hot dogs from Jimmys to Orlando. We vacuum sealed them and packed in our luggage
They grew up on Jimmys and hadnt had them in 20yrs. They ate them all in a weekend lol.

Ginas on Irving and 83 in Bensenville is good as well.

agreed on gene and Jude’s, I grew up 2 blocks to the west of it in river grove and
It was good as I could walk there as a kid and get a dog for 1.25, and when I was older I could stop at midnight and get something to eat before going home.

Jimmy’s is great, besides the dogs the polish is also a good choice to get. When I was in that area I would always stop in, also knew the owner who lives a few blocks over from us in river grove.

scooby’s in bensenville had a decent dog as well as nana’s.

Anyone ever try bob o’s hot dogs on Irving and Cumberland in Chicago, great char dog!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
One of the keys to a good dog (not grilled) is to steam them instead of boil them. Friend from Germany said that if you boil them you risk splitting the casing and ruining them. By steaming you don't run into that problem.

That being said, I like Big Sammy's in Elk Grove Village. There are other places that are more local to me, but Big Sammy's has been consistently good. Otherwise go to the store, get yourself a pack of Vienna beef hot dogs, make them at home the way you like them.

Reactions: frank

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
agreed on gene and Jude’s, I grew up 2 blocks to the west of it in river grove and
It was good as I could walk there as a kid and get a dog for 1.25, and when I was older I could stop at midnight and get something to eat before going home.

Jimmy’s is great, besides the dogs the polish is also a good choice to get. When I was in that area I would always stop in, also knew the owner who lives a few blocks over from us in river grove.

scooby’s in bensenville had a decent dog as well as nana’s.

Anyone ever try bob o’s hot dogs on Irving and Cumberland in Chicago, great char dog!
Oh, I know all about their polish’s. When I stop at Jimmy’s, I get a hot dog and a polish.
One of the keys to a good dog (not grilled) is to steam them instead of boil them. Friend from Germany said that if you boil them you risk splitting the casing and ruining them. By steaming you don't run into that problem.

That being said, I like Big Sammy's in Elk Grove Village. There are other places that are more local to me, but Big Sammy's has been consistently good. Otherwise go to the store, get yourself a pack of Vienna beef hot dogs, make them at home the way you like them.
At home, if my dogs aren’t grilled, they are steamed. Steamed is the best imo.
Jim's Original Maxwell Street is worth a mention. They don't do a traditional Chicago style dog. They do a steamed bun, beef dog, yellow mustard, grilled sweet onions, and sport peppers. Their grilled onions and sport peppers are amazing.
Ive only had their polish and pork chop sandwich. Too be honest, never knew they had hot dogs lol.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
They're all the same for the most part. Same ingredients from the same suppliers. It comes down to Vienna vs. Red Hot vs. David Berg hot dogs, and S. Rosen vs. Turano buns. And both the dogs and the buns have to be steamed obviously.

I prefer David Berg (and Kosher hot dogs in general).

Reactions: LikeABauce302
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info