"Best" Chef in the World Commits Suicide With Shotgun

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Bizarre story in the news today about the "World's Greatest Chef" supposedly killing himself with a shotgun. Friends and acquaintances blame the pressure of receiving top restaurant in the world award combined with the chef's father and his mentor recently dying.

I thought winning was a good thing?

The top spot instead went to the much lesser-known Le Restaurant de l’Hotel de Ville.

The surprise victory suddenly thrust the Swiss restaurant’s young and debonair chef, Benoit Violier, into the international spotlight, hailed in the media as “the world’s best chef.”

At just 44 years old, Violier had a boyish face, a young family and a new, state-of-the-art kitchen. And he had already spent a quarter-century in some of the best restaurants on the planet. He had learned from the best, yet he was a perfectionist who stressed that nothing in the cutthroat business of haute cuisine could be taken for granted.

“The strictness about myself always has to increase more and more,” he once told a restaurant guide. “Nothing can be definitively acquired; everything must be done all over again every day.”

On Sunday, Violier was found dead in his home in Crissier, Switzerland, the victim of what police think was a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the BBC and other news organizations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-highlights-pressure-cooker-of-haute-cuisine/

imrs.php

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info