• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

best battery for the Terimnator

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Replacing the battery is a three step process in these cars...

1- Loosen the nut on the negative cable, put to the side where it will not make contact again.

2- Loosen the nut on the positive cable, put to the side where it will not make contact again.

3- there is nut/bolt that holds down the battery through a little plastic piece, you have to remove this to remove the battery or it won't budge.

Put the new one in and reverse the steps ;)

Another thing, if you are storing your car in a garage, do one of two things when you aren't driving it, do the above and leave it disconnected while in storage OR buy a battery tender and this will maintain the charge perfectly and won't ruin your battery.

Good luck... if you're really in a bind (and you really have to convince me lol) I work in Rosemont and I can come help you, but it really isn't a big deal to change.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Replacing the battery is a three step process in these cars...

1- Loosen the nut on the negative cable, put to the side where it will not make contact again.

2- Loosen the nut on the positive cable, put to the side where it will not make contact again.

3- there is nut/bolt that holds down the battery through a little plastic piece, you have to remove this to remove the battery or it won't budge.

Put the new one in and reverse the steps ;)

Another thing, if you are storing your car in a garage, do one of two things when you aren't driving it, do the above and leave it disconnected while in storage OR buy a battery tender and this will maintain the charge perfectly and won't ruin your battery.

Good luck... if you're really in a bind (and you really have to convince me lol) I work in Rosemont and I can come help you, but it really isn't a big deal to change.

When you disconnect it, do you just disconnect the negative cable? And, leave it in the car?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I wasted $200 on an optima after i thought my interstate shorted out, when really it was just that somehow the clip on the power cord coming off the alternator managed to snap (honestly wtf it's a 4 gauge connector that rarely gets touched). Thanks to this experience I know a few things:

1. An interstate battery can power my car (headlights on) for 45 minutes without an alternator before it dies 0.5 miles from my house
2. Optima batteries are badass and i know, for the most part, that i can drain it then charge it as many times as i want
3. I'm an idiot

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I wasted $200 on an optima after i thought my interstate shorted out, when really it was just that somehow the clip on the power cord coming off the alternator managed to snap (honestly wtf it's a 4 gauge connector that rarely gets touched). Thanks to this experience I know a few things:

1. An interstate battery can power my car (headlights on) for 45 minutes without an alternator before it dies 0.5 miles from my house
2. Optima batteries are badass and i know, for the most part, that i can drain it then charge it as many times as i want
3. I'm an idiot
gave you kudos for all that knowledge obtained

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Ok. Cool. How long do you let your Cobra sit without starting?

After 2 months my brand new die hard battery went dead but it took less than 5 mins to jump it. Will that reduce the life of my battery now?

Thanks.

Honestly, I think it's about 3-5 months w/o starting. If we get a nice day out during winter, I would fire it up, pull the car out of the garage and do early spring cleaning, but otherwise it would sit until I bring it out in spring.

Running a battery down could have a reduction in life, but really it doesn't matter as long as the battery holds a charge when charged. Just buy a battery tender like this one... shop around and buy the cheapest one ;)

http://www.batterytender.com/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info