• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Belt Sizing Help Needed ASAP

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Current config:

old style Whipple with stock pulley
4lb LFP Lower Pulley
3.2" Alternator Pulley
Billetflow 4 piece Idler set with the new snub bracket

Currently I'm running a Goodyear Gatorback belt # 4080830 which is an 83" belt.. and it's pretty tight fit, you have to struggle a bit to get the belt on or off.. there is very little play in the tensioner.

With this setup I have no belt slip or belt dust..

I've had a 6Lb lower ring sitting in the garage for the last year and half.. and finally decided I want to use it, and go to the track today...

I can't find the instructions, so I called LFP to ask what the belt size difference is between the 4lb and 6lb rings... they said 1 inch.

OK so I need an 84 inch belt or slightly larger.

Problem is that I couldn't find one last night... and secondly I'm a bit confused as to the sizing according to Cobra Bob's belt guide: http://stangshiftergaskets.com/BeltSelectionGuide.htm

my understanding is that the last three digits in the belt part # is the belt length with the last digit being a 1/10" fractional.

So a Gatorback 4080830 is 83.0 inches long... and he confirms this.... But then when he lists Gates belts this numbering system doesn't apply.. for instance K080830 is 83.75" long and K080839 is 84.375" long

does any one have first hand experience in the difference between Gates and Goodyear sizes with the same part #'s?
I can find the Gates
K080830 in stock locally, and if it is 83.75" I might be able to get it on.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
I ended up buying the Gates 830 belt and it was too short.. I couldn't get it one after struggling for 30 mins

so for the hell of it, I tried my Gatorback 4080830 which I had just pulled off... and to my amazement with a lot of effort I was able to get it on!

I guess it stretched a little in the last 8K miles :biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Jack
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list