📊 Poll Being the hero I've always needed.

Would you do it?

• You're a dumbass for even asking this.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 3800 or NOTHING

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hold out for a truck. Everyone needs a truck.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah I'm not super up on the Buicks I just know some of em had the ratchet 3.6 lol

I say go for it though, or keep your eyes open for a rivvy?
Yeah the "facelift" which I found to be a big mistake had the 3.6. Those are shit.

I need a 4-door otherwise I would have an L67 swapped BLT in my driveway already. Lol

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I love the idea of top swapping a Buick tho, I've actually been doin some hunting for one myself but I'm not gonna drop the 3k somebody wants for one. May be one around a guy wouldn't listen to me on a misfire issue with for like 800 bucks (I know he tried plugs and injectors when I told him it wasn't that) but when I asked for more info I got ghosted so life goes on

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah, people don't like you to go "Oh I just stuck a coil pack on it" and show them up. My buddy bought a Toyota All Trac the person couldn't get started, he just disabled the security system and drove off, much to the annoyance of the seller.
Yeah, I had a buddy in college get himself into a sticky situation like that. Some dude on craigslist replaced the clutch in his BMW and promptly put it up for sale cheap because he couldn't figure out how to bleed it. My buddy says he'll buy it. He bleeds the clutch, test drives it, then the owner says he doesn't want to sell it anymore. Buddy threatens to put a mechanics lien on it or some shit on it and the guy gives in. You need to take the chance and pay up first then go fix it.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Going back to this the guy got back to me on the le sabre I was eyeballing, 600 and the car looks pretty clean and supposedly just has the misfire and was a daily up until he couldn't figure it out. I need to look at it yet but I think it's pretty likely I buy it even if I just fix the miss and flip it. Got half a mind to throw this too swap stuff on it but I need another project like I need a hole in the head

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
As I expected, I got a very political answer from HP. Dezldave mentioned in another forum that it would be worth asking.
1679337068758.png

The more I think about this though, the less I care about whether the M90 thing would work or not. I probably CAN in fact get over the slow NA 3800 power because it'll still be my niche under the hood. I should also be able to achieve 30mpg on 87 octane in Buick comfort. I also failed to remember that the old Lacrosse is a W-body, so I could get suspension and brake upgrades if I get too insanely bored with it.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I would think you could toss a po4 in it and make it work aside from maybe having to change some pins for the transmission? Or throw injectors in it and use an afc to clean fuel up and figure out a resistor for the iat so it thinks it's hot and pulls timing.

There's always a way :rofl:

Reactions: bs009

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I would think you could toss a po4 in it and make it work aside from maybe having to change some pins for the transmission? Or throw injectors in it and use an afc to clean fuel up and figure out a resistor for the iat so it thinks it's hot and pulls timing.

There's always a way :rofl:
For my daily driver it's gotta be simpler than that. Off the shelf parts and no witchcraft.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Afc shouldn't be real complicated. Drop in a set of gtp injectors and hit your little switches inside of it to take say 35 or 40 % out of the maf curve and go on about your day. Thats assuming 36lb gtp injectors and 26 lb na.

Of course you'd wanna temporarily put a wideband on it to tweak the afc for wot fueling but it should be a fairly simple process in theory.

I'd ask GTPpower GTPpower or Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc to make sure but I think that'd be the simplest way.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
main OS variations would be related to the BCM integration, your probably right you can treat it as a GP pcm, keep in mind the cluster probably wont display current gear as the prix has that through the DIC not the Instr cluster computer
Interesting. So would the OS need to be changed to one for a GP before being able to connect with HP?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Interesting. So would the OS need to be changed to one for a GP before being able to connect with HP?
I think he is saying it is highly likely the tables are recycled and the same where it matters.

I would buy a used box off ebay, hook in a test harness and see how it is personally.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i would say likely. im spitballin here from what i know of how gm's minimal investment in the 3800 drivetrains at that point (remember it was gonna be discontinued by 05/06 but was extended to 09

most changes on the 1 mb computers stem from the CAN system integration with the car.

i cant tell ya fer sure as i stopped when i saw 06+ switched the fuel level resistances when we were using 05 bins in the 06+

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
This may finally be the last update about finding a new daily until I start an actual member ride thread.

I started thinking more about the Lacrosse/Lucerne idea, and realized I lost sight of the bigger picture. First is that I'd have to spend about $5k for a nice one which isn't that big of a deal. Neither is the fact that it's NA. However, when I remember that a nice Comp is just waiting for me to shell $1500 and pick it up I suddenly care a lot less about having a Buick badge on the grille.

I have a stupid plan that might fall apart, but it's worth a shot. I'm going to finish the GN, so that I can stick the Camaro in the garage. I will buy the GTP and drag it home. The C30 will remain my daily until I get the GTP running. I'll sell the C30 and drive the dogshit out of the GTP pretty much as-is. It might get injectors, smaller pulley, and an E85 tune, but that would be about it. The transmission was rebuilt not long ago, and the engine is very freshly resealed. IMO it sounds like a great Camaro donor vehicle.

Youtube Eyebrows GIF by SoulPancake

so yeah.... It no longer really matters if it's a Buick or not. For how cheap it is, I see it as a way to hold me over while I save up for a newish truck. Whenever that happens, the Comp G can get an L36 bottom end and the Camaro can get a L32. Then I can sell the Comp G for a more than I have in it.

It's a long shot, but even if I think short term I'm back in a 3800 DD with 100k less miles than my current DD which is falling apart. I messaged my buddy on teams (we work together) and set up a time to check the thing out. It looks just as good/shitty as it did the last time I saw it a few years ago.
1679918650760.png

When we cycle the key, it does sound like the fuel pump is working so I'm not very hopeful about that being the issue. It cranks and cranks but doesn't light off. I guess L32s rails don't have shroeder valves so I couldn't easily check pressure. I think any further diagnosis will have to be done in my driveway after I've forked the cash. It's happening though. Keep an eye out for a new member rides thread when the GN is done.

Thread Info