📊 Poll Being the hero I've always needed.

Would you do it?

• You're a dumbass for even asking this.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 3800 or NOTHING

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hold out for a truck. Everyone needs a truck.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I've seen plenty of new stuff fail well before 40k as well, you did say you can fix it, and the ls isn't any harder to work on or more expensive than a 3800 to maintain. I've probably gone over my 2 cents limit here tho ?
Nope. Everyone's opinions are valued! As far as labor goes it's more of willingness thing for me. I could fix my Volvo too, but I don't like that car. I don't wanna work on an LS either. lol

I've already talked myself out of these ideas though. For the cost of a nice PAU, I could get a BLT, LGN, or Electra T-type which are much cooler, similar cush and similar MPG. Even this would be tits.

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'll give you a good deal on my 04 Grand Prix but I'm keeping the engine
If I get another car it will have to be a Buick. I actually have a buddy with an intercooled Comp G. Everything under the hood was done incredibly well, but the rest of the car is kinda beat up. He's only trying to sell it for $1500. I would buy it to flip it, but I feel like that's a dick move considering that I wouldn't put any work into it. Let me know if anybody here wants it though.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I can appreciate the volvo issues. I loved driving mine hated working on it.
They suffer from modern Swedish car syndrome. They get to a point where they need everything, but they're worth nothing in any condition. :( If I knew I could get another 100k out of it by changing the struts, timing belt, and brakes I'd do it. I don't think that's the case though.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
If I get another car it will have to be a Buick. I actually have a buddy with an intercooled Comp G. Everything under the hood was done incredibly well, but the rest of the car is kinda beat up. He's only trying to sell it for $1500. I would buy it to flip it, but I feel like that's a dick move considering that I wouldn't put any work into it. Let me know if anybody here wants it though.

Details…

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's a Grand Prix crapG.

Like mine it probably has scratches all over it from car parts and using it as a workbench
Yes. Rear bumper is ziptied together, front bumper is a replacement piece and unpainted. Under 200k but over 160k iirc. Interior looked like a crime scene when he got it. It's not much better now. AC is non-functional. I think the HUD is still broken. 3.4 pulley with full stack IC. ZZP rockers. Reconditioned 10-spoke Comp G wheels because the original chrome 5-spokes were bent. uhhhhhh I can't remember much else. It would be a great Comp-G parts car TBH. The paddle shift thing is still good.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
So I crossed the most difficult hurdle tonight...

My wife said I can get an old Buick to replace my Volvo. She doesn't give a shit anymore because she's tired of me asking and showing her a million cars every day. ?

The only stipulation is that it has to be a 4-door. This crosses out Reattas and LeSabre T-Types, but those are outside of the cushy land yacht vibe I desire anyway.

I messaged the owner of a really nice '96 PAU which I posted the other day. It's perfect being the only year with the nicer older body and the Series 2 engine. Let's hope the rust situation pans out. If so, I have a buddy on call ready to make the trip to Flint with me.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
They suffer from modern Swedish car syndrome. They get to a point where they need everything, but they're worth nothing in any condition. :( If I knew I could get another 100k out of it by changing the struts, timing belt, and brakes I'd do it. I don't think that's the case though.

I was fighting electrical issues with mine.

Said fuck it crusher time at that point.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm talking with the owner of this car. If I'm being honest, I HATE that it's beige on beige. However, it's hard for me to pass up. The supposed fantastic condition, best year IMO, the fact that it's an Ultra, and price trumps the beige problem.

I hope this works out. I already know that the AC doesn't work, so that'll be a good bargaining chip. Everything else is supposed working great.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I missed this thread. Did you make any life altering choices?
Nope. After finding those IS3 heads I realized that I could do cooler stuff with my current fleet for much less money. I'm going to hold on to the Volvo for a while longer. In the mean time, I'll try to keep saving up save up for a decent truck.

Now that I have those heads, I'm much more motivated to work on the Camaro. Another 20 to 30 year old daily would have likely ended in disaster.... again.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I've been thinking about those a-body wagons for a long time myself haha
Really liked the way they looked and would love to make one into a 2 door wagon with a rear axle but that would be soo much work ?
I never thought about making a 2-door wagon. You you probably want a 2-door parts car for the doors and quarter panels. Then then you would have to find a way to get custom rear glass since the the 4-door glass won't be long enough to reach the longer doors.

Yeah, it would be a huge effort. lol It would be neat with proper execution though.

Reactions: bs009

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Probably more time and money than I have right now but the back seat in those cars are pretty useless anyway so might as well just get rid of the whole thing, make it RWD, tub the rear and put some fat tires in it
Pardon my terrible photoshop lol
pBNxjBv.png

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm still not over the idea of a 3800 powered daily although I have grown up a little bit..... Ditching my 2010 car that works fine for a '96 or older is kind of nuts.

It would be a no brainer DD decision for me to get a 3800 powered Lacrosse if I knew I could tune it or get it tuned without wizardry. I like the styling of those cars, but I will not daily another NA 3.8. I just can't. It's too boring. On the other hand, I don't really want to do a ton of work either. However, top swapping a 3800 W-body is a walk in the park and I already have the parts.... After very quick googling I found this thread on GPF, and suddenly my wheels are turning again.

Anybody can get a decent 3800 Lacrosse for pretty damn cheap, and I already have HP. Does anybody here have any experience with tuning something off the supported list? This guy made it sound like it might connect the same as any Grand Prix of that generation, and if not it's still probably not a big deal. Very interesting. I want to try!
1679069791389.png

Reactions: sktchy and GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My neighbor is selling this, I think it's a 2008. He said it has some codes, he just used it for commuting.

View attachment 155478
That's a nice color. I'm not a huge fan of the Lucerne's styling, but they're a good size. I wonder if these will share tunes with a Bonneville. I don't think it would since Bonne model years didn't coexist with the Lucerne. I may be wrong though.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
You'd just have to play with it, like say earlier caravans will let you pull the file and save it, but they won't connect to vcm scanner but that leads me to believe you could write the file back in with changes although I haven't tried it. If that's the case and you have the balls to eyeball it and use data from another source like maybe even torque you could get it roughed in fairly easily.

I can't see it being so different from a grand prix that it wouldn't just do what it's supposed to though. Is there a couple top swapped lesabres? Either way I say go for it and worst case you have to repin a couple things and run a gtp file. I'm sure there's a couple guys around here that can help you with getting it sorted.

John that 08 could also be a 3.6 if I'm not mistaken?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You'd just have to play with it, like say earlier caravans will let you pull the file and save it, but they won't connect to vcm scanner but that leads me to believe you could write the file back in with changes although I haven't tried it. If that's the case and you have the balls to eyeball it and use data from another source like maybe even torque you could get it roughed in fairly easily.

I can't see it being so different from a grand prix that it wouldn't just do what it's supposed to though. Is there a couple top swapped lesabres? Either way I say go for it and worst case you have to repin a couple things and run a gtp file. I'm sure there's a couple guys around here that can help you with getting it sorted.

LeSabre is supported though. Lacrosse isn't even on the list. It's clearly been done, so it can't be impossible. Even if it would end up with me reverting back to an NA Lacrosse, I would at least have a reliable easy to service daily.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side

Yeah I dunno, I bet the owner does not know either lol.

• Haha

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Lucerne never had the 3.6. Neither did the pre-facelift Lacrosse. Lucerne was 3800 or Northstar only. Since that one has only 3 ports on the fender it's 3800 powered.

Pre-facelift Lacrosses had the 3800 or LS4. I'm not fully against rocking a stock LS4 car, but I don't really want to deal with the pains of DOD deleting it.

Thread Info