"Being A Man" , by Paul Theroux

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
So this pic came up in a local FB group and was distributed to students from a teacher in the Huntley school district. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I'd fail this class. Because I'd throw this back in the teachers lap and tell him to grow a pair and be a man...

My answer to #1) E: You need your man card revoked and your balls from you wife's purse, need to be crushed.

My answer to #2) E: DaFuq

Seriously, this is why I hate school. Shit like this where you are to interpret something a writer blathers about.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Haven't read his work but he seems like a postmodernist with deep issues of identity and self. Quite tragic if you ask me.

It certainly would feed into the idea of indoctrination not education.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Stop distributing bigoted rhetoric to your students. Education does not mean it gives the teacher opportunity to inductrinate your students with your particular world view of social issues. If this shit was handed to my kid I’d be up at his school and request a meeting with the teacher and the principal.

zenriddles

Molon Labe - come and take them!
Reaction score
^^^

This.

This is why I took my kids OUT of public school. I don't care for the libby's running the joint or their agendas.

BTW - my son carries himself as a man and has no gender related issues I am aware of.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
I also agree. I'd be pissed that the teacher is passing assignments like this to my kid. I'd want a meeting or a conference with other parents and the school board. Jamming crap like this down my kids' throats is why I would seriously consider home schooling. I don't need individual teachers or even the school trying to teach my kids about any of this. There's no need. As long as my kid grows up respecting a person (as long as they deserve that respect) then that's all I ask. I just want my kid to grow up and be a decent human being. But I don't need teachers to have a personal agenda (not saying this was the case) to try pushing certain things on my kid

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
You think the trades pay well now, wait till all these young guys don’t know how to build shit and have no mechanical ability because they didn’t want to seem to much like a man

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
This is the continued "pussification" of men and society.

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
You think the trades pay well now, wait till all these young guys don’t know how to build shit and have no mechanical ability because they didn’t want to seem to much like a man
I see that now in my generation. I know a lot of guys who can't even fathom the idea of trying to troubleshoot a furnace/appliance/car issue. It's nuts.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
The paul theroux thing was written in 1985 if anyone cares.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
The paul theroux thing was written in 1985 if anyone cares.
I was going to say. I think I actually read this in school at one point and was probably asked the same questions.

While yes, there is a reason for a long winded thing and the questions afterwards, to see if you understood what the meanings that he was trying to portray, you can easily use something else.

Then again, I dont remember the 90s being the way things are now. Either that or I was in school and my interests were anything except politics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom