Beef Shack > Portillos

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Portillos has a vicious following b/c for along time, we could claim it was all ours....but their food aint that great bro.

giphy.gif

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So they opened on in Elgin (I go to the St Charles location occasionally) but having just has portillos a week or so back and following up with Beef Shack, hands down Shack has a better sandwich and better beef. The bread is far superior too and Id even say the cheese is better.

No contest in this fat kids mind.
448.jpg

This is being based on the cheezy beef with garlic bread.

IaLG69W.gif

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I tried this for the first time yesterday actually (Hoffman Location) and was not a fan. I agree Portillos is garbage.

Beef Shack bread had that par cooked bread funkyness taste, the beef was not a consistent texture and lacked flavor IMO. Fries were alright, but I'd rather they have a small option I don't need 4 pounds of fries.

I tried the cheezy garlic and I don't think I'd ever be back.

I'll stick with Jays Beef in the city for what I think is the best Italian beef.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Just got the low down on the new location from my sister....

The new location is actually being franchised to a Rosati's owner right now.

I asked if she was planning on changing to the new location but can't because it's not the original owners that's shes been working with for years now.

(She started when the owners had them as Zippy's)

Wonder if they're just essentially selling a Cheef like you would order from Rosati's there or if they have to use the same food people....

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Portillo's seems to be suffering a bit on the quality since Dick sold it. Its too bad. Beef shack is formerly Zippy's beef, without the pizza and half the menu. I kind of miss their pizza though. It is a decent beef sandwich, I gotta say tho the Roselle road was lacking the last couple times I went. The bread seemed kinda undercooked and beef was a bit chewy. Fries are really good.

My favorite italian beef is Johnnie's and Jay's.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Jay's is hands down the best beef in town IMO.

I generally make the drive from the burbs to get a beef since I haven't found a great beef in the area in a long time.

way back in the day there was a Jay's beef in Mt. Prospect at Golf/Busse rd. It was one of my favorite places to eat growing up. Now its a CVS. Johnnie's in Arlington Heights is the 2nd best closest in that area.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I tried this for the first time yesterday actually (Hoffman Location) and was not a fan. I agree Portillos is garbage.

Beef Shack bread had that par cooked bread funkyness taste, the beef was not a consistent texture and lacked flavor IMO. Fries were alright, but I'd rather they have a small option I don't need 4 pounds of fries.

I tried the cheezy garlic and I don't think I'd ever be back.

I'll stick with Jays Beef in the city for what I think is the best Italian beef.

I will be at Jays in Schiller Park for lunch tomorrow. Best beef around imo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info