Beef cow take home weight discussion - split from boredthread

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
correct, deep freezer/resealing driveway/new computer/new gun/debt payment money went to tires instead
giphy.gif

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
At Carwood Farm, we make it easy for you by giving you an idea of the amount of beef you’ll get for your freezer**. Of course, we can't give you an exact poundage because cows don't all weigh the same. The “final” or “take-home” weight is the weight of the meat that you will bring home to put in your freezer. This weight is usually about 70% of the hanging weight. On average a quarter of beef weighs about 200 pounds (hanging weight) so the final weight, after processing, would be about 140 lbs (estimated).
During processing, this "yield loss" occurs in 2 ways. About 4% is water weight lost during the 10-14 day period that the carcass is hung (or “cured”). Then about another 26% is of the yield loss is fat and bones. This amount is variable based on 2 factors – one is the amount of fat in the meat, and the other is the cuts that a customer requests. For example, the more boneless cuts requested by the customer, the lower the final weight. (Note that the lower weight doesn’t mean that you are receiving less meat – rather, you are receiving fewer bones).
If you decide to buy a cow from a farmer, it is good to know approximately what you’ll be taking home before you buy so you can make space in your refrigerator or freezer in advance.

In summary, on average, take home weight is:
quarter = 140 lbs and half = 280 lbs

**35 lbs. of beef = 1 square foot...So a typical quarter requires about 4 – 5 square feet of freezer space.

Buying a Quarter Cow:
We sell "split" quarters, which are an equal share of cuts from the front and the back of the cow, so you can get a nice variety of cuts (ground beef, steaks, roasts, etc.).
Very interesting. Not doubting whats above (well some what), but I'm almost positive we get more than 140lbs of beef.
Well either way, it works for us and we love it. At the end of the year (now) I'm usually giving ground beef away. Everyone we have given it to thinks its the best GB they ever had. Just checked and we have 12lbs of GB left to give away

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I miss working at the slaughterhouse when reading threads like these, used to get stupid prices on beef....

I can ask my dad how much our steers used to weigh, I know they made a killing when we killed kosher or whatever its called. They used to fly Rabbis in from NY to do the slaughter and could charge a fortune for the meat.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Very interesting. Not doubting whats above (well some what), but I'm almost positive we get more than 140lbs of beef.
Well either way, it works for us and we love it. At the end of the year (now) I'm usually giving ground beef away. Everyone we have given it to thinks its the best GB they ever had. Just checked and we have 12lbs of GB left to give away

howd it turn out?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
FWIW the half cow that I picked up last month had a hang weight of 276lbs. The cows I get a usually smaller since they are grass fed. Grain or corn fed cows will weigh in quite a bit more. I'm not sure what the processed weight came out to but it's expected to have quite a bit of loss from the hang weight to the processed weight.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Totally forgot, I think you were correct. Got my sheet but doesnt have weight of everything like I thought it did.

View attachment 73827

see where i think it can be kinda misleading then you know?

i get the health/quality benefits of doing it but i just don't see it as being possibly cheaper than good ol antibiotic corn fed grocery store choice.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Speaking of freezers, I love my standing freezer. I look at the sale papers every Wednesday and pick up meat on sale to toss into it. We have a side by side fridge my son and his GF use as their freezer and I have a drawer freezer in my newer fridge so I have plenty of room for frozen storage. Could easily do half a cow.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Speaking of freezers, I love my standing freezer. I look at the sale papers every Wednesday and pick up meat on sale to toss into it. We have a side by side fridge my son and his GF use as their freezer and I have a drawer freezer in my newer fridge so I have plenty of room for frozen storage. Could easily do half a cow.

standing fridge could likely hold an entire cow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info