Because its UGLY!!!! Camaro sales....And cost too much!

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-mustang-is-eating-the-chevy-camaros-lunch-1828921644

The Chevrolet Camaro has fallen from glory. After a five year reign over its U.S. sports car kingdom, the Camaro has been quickly usurped by the Ford Mustang—and then by the aging Dodge Challenger. Sales are decreasing by drastic amounts, and it doesn’t look like there’s going to be change in the near future.

Things started changing around 2014. Trying to find new and innovative ways to stay on top of their game, Chevy opted to redesign the Camaro. People were interested, so why not class things up a bit? Surely, people will be willing to pay more money for a better performing car.

It didn’t work. Ford quickly scooped up the customers who couldn’t make the jump up to the next rung of the pricing ladder, and Chevy has been suffering the consequences.

In Automotive News, Al Oppenheiser, the chief engineer of the Camaro, voiced his intentions:

“Frankly, [Mustang] have been eating our lunch. The low [transaction prices] of a four-cylinder ... that’s where the bulk of the sales are and that’s where our pricing strategy needed improvement. We plan to go head to head — and win.”

No no its because people cant handle the ugly! Even if it is faster than the Mustang.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Not really surprised, the Camaro as it is now seems kind of like a conflict to me. The fith gen the wifey and I rented seemed to have an interior like her Cruze which while not terrible isn't a Camaro priced interior. The Mustang gives great performance for less $ and Dodge has better lines overall IMO and likely better pricing. The amount they want for a Camaro just seems to be out there with the competition.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Not really surprised, the Camaro as it is now seems kind of like a conflict to me. The fith gen the wifey and I rented seemed to have an interior like her Cruze which while not terrible isn't a Camaro priced interior. The Mustang gives great performance for less $ and Dodge has better lines overall IMO and likely better pricing. The amount they want for a Camaro just seems to be out there with the competition.

...I had a rental Cruze as did the misses, you don’t have to lie, it’s bad.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
...I had a rental Cruze as did the misses, you don’t have to lie, it’s bad.

You don't know bad till you've been in a 90s Contour. That said in terms of specific output I liked the 08 Civic I had better with a 5spd than this with a 6spd. As a disclaimer I haven't hit this with HPT yet either but need to.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Car and Driver [emoji1] Screenshot_20180910-144041_Chrome.jpg

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
They fucked up by not changing up the design much. The 6th gen should have had a lower belt line and been easier to get in and out of. They fixed the performance issue but made the interior room even worse. Not to mention they priced it out of it's sweet spot. The 5th gen was a hit with middle aged guys, the 6th gen didn't offer enough appeal to lure them in. Not to mention the vette is a newer design. The C6 was 5 years old when the 5th gen came out. I think the newness over the vette also helped with sales.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I agree with the looks thing. The Camaro is easily the least appealing to look at. Mustang is sleek and sexy and the Camaro is still with the retro look, but it's a problem when the Challenger is also retro and pulls it off with a much better looking car.

The new Mustang 5.0 responds a lot better to Mods than the Maro SS. So I’ve heard ;)

Even the 15-17 cars respond much better. It's just way too easy to make huge power with the new 5.0's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info