TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Damn man, when you go, you go all in :ROFLMAO:

Love it tho.
If I hadn't already spent $200 on new seat support grids and heated seat elements I'd probably say nevermind. Lol I had no idea that I was going to end up discovering and creating so many more issues. I figure that sending the seat out for repairs would be at least a $600 job plus parts which is a big "f that" for a rusty 240. On the other hand, the car is still nice enough to deserve a repair. Here I am!

Reactions: IDAFC21

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
DANG The spray glue and t-shirt trick works really well!
CfleG1Xl.jpg

The pins are a great way to hold the foam together and flush while the glue dries. Just don't for get to remove them! :LOL:
dGE2llLl.jpg

r3v4XTL.jpg

The t-shirt glued on top acts as extra strength. I'm sure it's not as good as new foam, but this glue seems mighty strong!
Pz97HVM.jpg

gucpCfL.jpg

Now to do a little something for the inside.
6Q48Vct.jpg

jN9gVAB.jpg

Rigging the bottom
7WNNkwR.jpg

d8XADeC.jpg

iUqN2Ik.jpg

I don't think there's any fixing this, so I'm going to throw my new grid in there just for proof of concept. I'll remove it when it's time to do the real thing.
ZnfwTKZ.jpg

I'm also missing springs so it's still going to be a bit soft. Oh well. I'm sure this will still feel a lot better than before.
b172FVx.jpg

tvEbyUi.jpg

Hog ringing the junk lower cover back on hurt my soul a little.
MuTH1OK.jpg

DANG. It's still a junk seat, but that is a massive upgrade from what I had. This thing is super comfy, and the fit looks factory. No more blown out bottom or ram rods to the back. This will be a great placeholder while I fix the gangster leaning seat.
NqOqnOL.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Thanks guys! Pins are out. (y) It's super comfy to sit on now.

I did a little research this morning and found out that my floor jack trick is not going to work. I forgot that the whole seat sits on it's own pan. Judging by what I've seen on the under side of the car, it seems very unlikely that the seat pan is warping THAT bad. What IS likely is that somebody sat in the driver seat on a concrete floor while the floor pans were being replaced. This could easily bend the seat mounting tab and cause my problem. That would be an easy fix, so lets hope for that. lol

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I repainted the track I cleaned up on Friday, lubed it with white lithium grease, and tossed it back on the old seat I just refreshed. I crossed my fingers, tossed it on the seat pan, and it fit like a dang glove! Thank god. In addition to superb fitment the little plastic kick panel gives a much more finished look.
1612223222812.png

It looks like shit with that haggard cover, but it feels like new! Forgive me for taking pictures of my homeless shelter, but it's a daily driver and salty out afterall!
1612223769628.png

Filling it with gas before I finally give it back to the lady.
1612223858361.png

NOW GET THE THE HELL OUT OF HERE!
giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong. I love this car to death, but I need a change of scenery every once in a while. If I kept driving this thing to work every day, I would continue to find things wrong, make them into big projects, and take even more time away from the Camaro. Once I go back to the C30, it will kind of be an out of sight and out of mind situation.

I'm officially back to to working on Lame V6! ? Allie and I are celebrating that with pizza. I think she's excited to have her car back depite the ugly seat.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I can't fix issues without creating new ones. lol This time I blame myself 100%. I was in a rush and made a newbie mistake.

The power steering has never really worked as well it's supposed to, but recently the pump started actually grinding noises and eventually gave up. Now that I'm at a solid stopping point on the Camaro with good weather I figured Id replace the pump. I apologize for not taking a lot of pictures, but I really needed to ensure that this car would be ready for work in the morning.

Before I started wrenching, I did a little inspection since I hadn't even driven the car in about a month. The fluid was very low. I wonder where it went. I flushed the system less than a year ago. Oh well. Topping off the reservoir and working the air out didn't fix it either, so in I go!

I bought the cheap GM pulley puller tool at Advance. The price reflects its quality because it doesn't work worth a crap unless you get crafty.
1615752128416.png

Forget the provided collar. It won't help you. A hose clamp tightened down close to the pulley was what gave me success.
1615752203713.png

Everything would have went fine if I didn't get antsy and use the vise to hold the pump while I installed the brackets and fitting.
icon_redface.gif
After removing the pulley, finding the high point, heating it up, and pounding away, I got it in a much more manageable shape. I still need a new pulley though. Hopefully turbobricks will pull through,

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You'd be lucky to find a new pulley for 15 so yeah I'd go for it.

I'm just wondering how common the pullies are as something like that could be valuable to someone who was trying to put a Type II pump in with vbelts is all.
Oh yeah, these things are super compact because of their remote reservoir. I don't know what a Type II pump is, but I know that this one is known as a GM unit to Volvo people. It would be really easy to adapt.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Type 2 pumps are the series of next gen GM Pumps after they made the "canned ham" Saginaw Pumps. They are popular with the roundy round guys. There's a decent chance Allstar or similar makes a pulley that would work if you can't get oem.
Ahh okay. Yeah we got the canned ham on 240s too. :ROFLMAO: I took your advice and told the guy who messaged me to send me his PayPal address. $20 plus shipping is cheap.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's time to address the pre-O2 sensor exhaust leak. Let's lift the car up, spray those bolts with PB Blaster really quick, and uhhh...
1616884456070.png

Keeping this car is gonna be really tough if this shit doesn't quit!
1616884522017.png

This part was previously repaired by the last owner. I don't know what they did, but it obviously blew out this winter.
1616884590460.png

We both have to weigh our options. We love this car, but there's no way in hell that I'm ever going to catch up on repairs if it continues being a daily driver. On the other hand, if it's no longer a daily driver what are we really going to do with it? Sell GN, replace it with this, and buy a newer daily driver? Sell Moose, buy a new daily, and be sad that we trashed another 240?

I don't know. Short term, I say it's spring and I don't care about the hole. There's nothing I can do about it right now anyway. I might as well make it run better and quieter. First, this ugly and poor flowing Walker pipe needs a coat of paint. I can't complain much since this cost less than half of what most of the other brands are charging. I'm really just hoping for long survival and free of leaks anyway.
1616886059838.png

Still ugly, but I'll take it! Now I need to wait for my gaskets because I didn't think about that before buying the pipe. ?‍♂️
1616886332509.png

Also, before doing any of this, I replaced the power steering pulley with the one I bought from turbobricks. Oddly, that seemed to help the power steering feel a lot at low speeds.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Seriously. Maintaining this car feels like building a house of cards at times. I'll pull the interior and weld a patch in there at some point. I just need something else to drive while I get it done. It should actually be easier than trying to fix the wheel wells. Rivets and road signs on a rust belt daily driver are a perfect recipe for having no floors at all by 2023. lol

Thread Info