Bank of America will no longer do business with companies who run detention centers

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Heroic!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/business/bank-of-america-private-detention/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Bank of America will end its association with companies that provide prisoner and immigrant detention services at both the state and federal levels. The move comes amid growing public concern about the nation's border policies.

A spokesperson said Wednesday that Bank of America (BAC) has discussed the issue with its clients that provide those services. While the bank appreciates "steps they have taken to properly execute their contractual and humanitarian responsibilities," it ultimately decided to "exit the relationships."

"Lacking further legal and policy clarity, and in recognition of the concerns of our employees and stakeholders in the communities we serve, it is our intention to exit these relationships," the spokesperson said.

The Miami Herald previously reported that Bank of America was a financier of Caliburn — which the newspaper said runs a facility called Homestead under a US government contract. The Herald said the bank provided a $380 million loan to the company and a $75 million credit line. The paper indicated Homestead is not a prison, but "protesters say it functions as one. The minors held inside are not allowed to leave."

Bank of America declined to comment Wednesday regarding the companies with which it had previously worked.

Private prisons have been in the spotlight. On Friday, Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren called for private correctional and detention facilities to be banned. Shares of private prison operators dropped following her remarks.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration has been criticized over conditions for migrant children at a Customs and Border Protection facility in Clint, Texas. On Monday, the Department of Health and Human Services said 250 migrant children who were held at that facility will be shifted into the agency's shelter system.

On Wednesday, employees of online furniture retailer Wayfair walked out from the company's headquarters in Boston in protest of the company selling furniture to a detention facility. Wayfair said it would donate $100,000 to the American Red Cross to help those in need at the border.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should change their name as well

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I really need to close my accounts with them and switch banks ASAP... Been on the fence for a long time now doing that, but just haven't because of inconvenience.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
I really need to close my accounts with them and switch banks ASAP... Been on the fence for a long time now doing that, but just haven't because of inconvenience.
Thinking the same thing.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
This doesn't seem like Operation Choke Point being carried out via the market instead of via the government mandates does it?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I've had to work with BofA on a very close level for the business I was in. They are the most fucked up bank I have ever worked with by far, and I've worked with all the big ones.

I can't go into too many details but their unbelievable idiocy, total lack of knowledge and comprehension of basic things was mind blowing.

If you do business with them or have any money there, get the fuck out now. Trust me.

zenriddles

Molon Labe - come and take them!
Reaction score
BOA bought my bank (LaSalle) several years ago.

I was out in 2 weeks. It was impossible for me NOT to leave immediately, I don't do business with places like that.

I see time and again all these SJW companies - Fuckbook, Cunterest, Twatter, all the social media giants that everyone is FINALLY fussing about that I saw through 10 years ago when I refused to even sign up.
I never engaged and now I see the dust-ups they are causing and get pissed that they are excluding conservative ideas/companies/persons and their videos.
And then I calm down, how CAN they exclude me? I never went to their stupid businesses in the first place.

Fuck ALL of them. Still.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
BOA bought my bank (LaSalle) several years ago.

I was out in 2 weeks. It was impossible for me NOT to leave immediately, I don't do business with places like that.

I see time and again all these SJW companies - Fuckbook, Cunterest, Twatter, all the social media giants that everyone is FINALLY fussing about that I saw through 10 years ago when I refused to even sign up.
I never engaged and now I see the dust-ups they are causing and get pissed that they are excluding conservative ideas/companies/persons and their videos.
And then I calm down, how CAN they exclude me? I never went to their stupid businesses in the first place.

Fuck ALL of them. Still.
Basically what happened with me, i was with Lasalle, GREAT BANK, and ever since the switch they have fucked up so much stuff for me. I just stayed with them for convenience and not wanting to switch everything over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom