• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Backed into (pic) - any guesses on $ to repair?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
In the grocery parking lot I was in my wife's saab 9-3 and a lady in a nissan frontier pickup backed right into the rear quarter of the saab.

20141025_185425_zpscj99oa7n.jpg

Looking at the picture, the damage is a little worse than that as the wheel fender and bumper/panel seam are pushed in more.

I'm a bit more worried just because it being a saab and I remember KJ's parts stories about saabs at his old repair shop job...

What work are we looking at and how much do we think a repair will cost?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
That'll probably just get repaired with nothing replaced.

If she hit you, why's it matter how much it costs? Get an estimate and submit to her insurance. I'm sure they'll send out an adjuster too but the body shop can re submit work order changes as the price exceeds her insurance company estimate (it almost always does).

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
That'll probably just get repaired with nothing replaced.

If she hit you, why's it matter how much it costs? Get an estimate and submit to her insurance. I'm sure they'll send out an adjuster too but the body shop can re submit work order changes as the price exceeds her insurance company estimate (it almost always does).
Well I was thinking about it and actually might just pocket the cash and live with the damage. The car already has some other small body damage on the bumper and trunk. And it's an 8 year old saab with 120k on it, and I didn't pay that much for it...

Haven't really decided yet, though.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
what's been said in here already. for sure.

go get an estimate or two... and actually when you get them, post up pics, or pm me and [MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION] or something to make sure nothing got forgotten- then submit them to her insurance.

then they'll either send out an estimator, or just pay it, or do a direct-repair deal through whatever shop you chose.

nothing should need to be replaced from the looks of it, so i wouldn't worry about parts.

on that note though too, i don't think i could get a saab something just due to parts bullshit.

especially because in actuality- an insurance company doesn't have to do anything for parts obsolescence- they only have to reimburse you for what the part was worth.

before i left the body shop, we had a 2000's 9-5 and a 9-3 that were both there several months due to parts obsolescence... the 9-5 needed a portion of a "frame" rail... and the 9-3 needed a headlight that was super specific to the model.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Well I was thinking about it and actually might just pocket the cash and live with the damage. The car already has some other small body damage on the bumper and trunk. And it's an 8 year old saab with 120k on it, and I didn't pay that much for it...

Haven't really decided yet, though.

Id fix it myself with a heat gun and some quality body/paint supplies. I'm no pro for sure but the worst that can happen is you're out a few hours of your time.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Received 3 quotes.

Quote 1 - $2,700
Quote 2 - $1,700
Quote 3 - $2,200

Quote #2 seems to missing a lot of the detail work included in the others. And it's easy to compare because they all use the same estimate software system...

But those are a lot more than I thought they would be and I'll probably be going through their insurance company now...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
TCG Body and Repair estimate services to the rescue! :s00ls:

Agree with everything said here! I'm guessing $1800-2800 if you have it fixed.

Received 3 quotes.

Quote 1 - $2,700
Quote 2 - $1,700
Quote 3 - $2,200

Quote #2 seems to missing a lot of the detail work included in the others. And it's easy to compare because they all use the same estimate software system...

But those are a lot more than I thought they would be and I'll probably be going through their insurance company now...

Damn son! I need to be an insurance adjuster!

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
This is just dragging on... First I waited 3 days for the lady & her husband to decide if they want to have me file a claim or settle now. Then I file a claim with their insurance on the 2nd. I've only had a convo with the claims rep on the 3rd and that's it!

How could this be taking so long? GODDAMN.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Call them back and tell them to get the show on the road, you want your car repaired NOW. If they don't jump, tell them your next 2 calls will be to cooperate, and then to the BBB.

No adjuster even came out to look at the damage yet after 2+ weeks since accident? If the repair estimate isn't really that high, which 2700 really isn't when it comes to car repairs, they should just cut you a check over a phone conversation and just mail it to you.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
go through yours and have your insurance go after theirs.
Eh, I have GEICO and don't want to have anything to do with them unless needed... I tried that once when my wife's G6 was smashed into and GEICO was going to handle it, but decided to just deal with the at fault insurance company instead and they totaled the car out for me.

Do you have a police report?

No, the PD they don't do them on private property.

Call them back and tell them to get the show on the road, you want your car repaired NOW. If they don't jump, tell them your next 2 calls will be to cooperate, and then to the BBB.

No adjuster even came out to look at the damage yet after 2+ weeks since accident? If the repair estimate isn't really that high, which 2700 really isn't when it comes to car repairs, they should just cut you a check over a phone conversation and just mail it to you.

Good idea. If things don't move forward today, I'll probably start with those and carry through.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info