• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Leaking fluid after disconnecting CV shaft from differential

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
So about 4 months ago I was changing the front diff mounts on my 13 Tahoe and I unbolted the right front CV shaft from the diff at the 6 bolt flange. Oddly diff fluid starts leaking out of the flange that I had unbolted so a put it back together right away. Now today I did an oil change and noticed fluid slowly leaking and has been sprayed in that area. Now, I thought that 6 bolt flange would be a dry connection. If it is actually supposed to be wet that when I disturbed that sealing area it would make sense to leak now. Or do you think it’s the axel seal at the end of the diff housing?
C4B1A391-FDD1-44EE-8832-B18F153E671E.jpeg

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Also are you motor mounts leaking yet? They should be soon
Motor mounts looks good still. I hope I never have to change one because it looks buried. So I’m guessing that the 6 bolt flange is like a stub shaft that uses a C clip setup like a CV axel? Just trying to visualize how diff fluid is getting inside of that stub shaft flange.

Reactions: sktchy and DEEZUZ

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
It had to have just soaked in there. I've popped a couple loose and seen them wet before and Ive also seen them only leak til they get down to the bottom of the seal and then just get run like that forever too (not that I'd suggest doing such)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It would not surprise me that that yoke is straight through to the inside of the diff....

Blind Spines with powdered metal fabrication doesn't work real well so it very likely goes straight through.... It may or may not be blocked with a Welch plug.... That's an extra step/cost they could cut out I'd guess if they figured a hair of anaerobic sealer on the cv flange would keep oil off the ground till outta warranty

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
So it looks like the shaft with the flange goes all the way through that diff tube. I might just take it into a mechanic shop and get a quote because I don’t feel like fucking with it.
It's not that bad, I'm pretty sure if you take a hammer on the backside of your 6 bolt flange it'll pop right out of there. Then just run a sheet metal screw into said seal and use that to pull it out and then knock it all back together.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
It's not that bad, I'm pretty sure if you take a hammer on the backside of your 6 bolt flange it'll pop right out of there. Then just run a sheet metal screw into said seal and use that to pull it out and then knock it all back together.
The shaft is too long to fit out. You gotta unbolt the pass side of the housing. Still not hard

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info