AWD SUV tires

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah you still need sensors. the sensors my shop uses cost $35. as long as you have the means to pair them with the car it really doesn't add too much to the overall cost.

yeah i was pumped ordering the wife's winter tires for her crv, i was like wtf why aren't they charging me ~140 for sensors?

called the rack... oh there just aren't sensors in the wheels, it's monitored via fucking voodoo.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Snow tires on the highway will burn out fast.

No not unless...

you wait until it gets WAY warmer to change them.

And even then I used a set of LMs (performance winter so really not all that great of a dedicated snow tire) during that really mild winter a few years back and they barely wore. They were slightly spongy on the 60-70ish degree sunny days (that maybe was the year it was 80 in Feb, can't remember) but nothing worrisome at all. The studless category tires might be a slightly different story (never had mine on during really warm season), but performance winters have never worn fast for me at all, not faster than any other tire and decidedly slower than summers, and I spent a vast majority of my time on the freeway.

I've had studless winter tires for some winters and they were spongier in the "warmer" weather but kicked the performance winters' asses when there was actual accumulation. And both categories were decidedly better than ASTs. Plus in the summer I had proper summers on which made a huge difference, both in the wet and dry. Win/win. Get a cheap set of wheels to put the snows on and as long as you're not mechanically retarded and have the space, it's a few minutes twice a year to do it.

And in the end, you're not burning through tires any faster, as you're now sharing the wear between two sets instead of one. So the only extra expense is the second set of wheels (and TPMS if you want to go that route), which are usually not super pricey to begin with and you can sell once you don't need them anymore anyway.

But I'm a hypocrite as I am running one set of tires year round at this point so I might be full of shit.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
No not unless...

And even then I used a set of LMs (performance winter so really not all that great of a dedicated snow tire) during that really mild winter a few years back and they barely wore. They were slightly spongy on the 60ish degree sunny days but nothing worrisome at all. The studless category tires might be a slightly different story (never had mine on during really warm season), but performance winters have never worn fast for me at all, not faster than any other tire and decidedly slower than summers, and I spent a vast majority of my time on the freeway.

I've had studless winter tires for some winters and they were spongier in the "warmer" weather but kicked the performance winters' asses when there was actual accumulation. And both categories were decidedly better than ASTs. Plus in the summer I had proper summers on which made a huge difference, both in the wet and dry. Win/win. Get a cheap set of wheels to put the snows on and as long as you're not mechanically retarded and have the space, it's a few minutes twice a year to do it.

And in the end, you're not burning through tires any faster, as you're now sharing the wear between two sets instead of one. So the only extra expense is the second set of wheels (and TPMS if you want to go that route), which are usually not super pricey to begin with and you can sell once you don't need them anymore anyway.

But I'm a hypocrite as I am running one set of tires year round at this point so I might be full of shit.

LOL

As I recall when I was running blizzaks, I burned through a lot of tread in 50-60 degree weather and they were super soft/spongey as you said.

Does it depend if the tires are studded vs. studless that they wear faster?

I could be wrong on that then.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Why do you need tpms sensors?

Just use this

tire_pressure_gauge.jpeg

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
LOL

As I recall when I was running blizzaks, I burned through a lot of tread in 50-60 degree weather and they were super soft/spongey as you said.

Blizzaks and most snow tires are not supposed to be used above 40 degrees. Pretty sure most of them say that in their descriptions and such

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
LOL

There's like a billion categories of tires, I haven't kept up for a while. But mainly I used Blizzak WS or LM (also had Wintersport M3s which I hated), which were studless and performance winter respectively. The studless are more dedicated towards snow performance and the performance winters are more like all seasons with better than normal snow/winter design/composition.

That's just a layman's perspective though, I'm sure there are tire engineers out there who can break down the chemistry and all that BS too. But basically the studless were better winter tires and the performance did ok but were less of a compromise in better weather.

But I was really surprised at how long my last set of LM60s lasted.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

Especially if you wait until it gets warmer to change them.

All seasons will shine here and there are different versions of all season tires that are better than others in the snow.
They won’t. The spring will go from being 75-80* to 25* and inches of snow several times. Snow tires stay on late in the season with no issues of “extra wear” or being burned up.

Some choose snow tires year round here too.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Especially if you wait until it gets warmer to change them.

All seasons will shine here and there are different versions of all season tires that are better than others in the snow.

I had Blizzaks on the Flex, and I was running up and down 355 everyday. No more wear than normal

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
General makes some awesome cheap snow tires that aren’t dual compound like most blizzaks.

I liked my General all-seasons, although they were a pretty aggressive tread pattern and I don't think they would've fared too well in the snow, they also got pretty loud as they wore in, which people on the Tirerack comments did bring up...fiance' has Altimax's on her Honduh, and they've been good tires, quiet and good traction in the snow (well good enough for an all-season)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info