Aviation Events this Summer

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I have seen a few plane threads here so I know there are some aviation enthusiast here just wondering anyone going to soon to be open up airshows or events? I know COVID shut everything down but have heard things are ramping back up with Sun N Fun this month and Oshkosh planned this summer. I have been to Oshkosh countless times, Chicago Air and Water plenty (watching from the water), Rockford airshow awhile back and a Fly In/Pancake Breakfast at Lansing and also a fly in and car show at Meadow Creek in the SW burbs. I missed everything the past few years but want to get back into it. I even went to a R/C field where they had an event that showcased all types of planes from small electrics to large scale planes once in the south burbs that I really enjoyed.

Also anyone flying or have interest in flying? It's an expensive hobby but if you get a few to go makes it cheaper to have more fun.

Reactions: Unitsn4 and Yaj Yak

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Thanks I never knew about this at Clow. I was active awhile back (I'm old) and I remember Clow I believe used to have a lot of glider activity. I'd like to check it out.

Clow Airport in Bolingbrook didn’t have their annual Cavalcade of Planes last year but it looks like they’re on for this year.

Warbirds, vintage stuff.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I started going in 2008 and made every year but 2. I know in the 80's it was an ultralight and experimental show but now it is all encompassing. I have seen all the latest military, civilian (walked through the A380) even the Virgin Starship launch plane fly there and static displays of anything and everything aviation. I only went once for 1 day the others would take the travel trailer there and camp out a few days there is just so much to see. I want to get back to going soon.

I haven't been to OSH since I was a kid. Its on my bucket list.

What is this 3CK show?

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I was in Civil Air Patrol as a kid and we used to fly the gliders at Haedtler field which was a restricted Civil Air Patrol airport off of Governors highway back in the early 80's. We had an old rinkedy German training glider but I remember Clow had nice stuff.

We'd always go watch the gliders at Clow and eat at the restaurant. Late 80s/early 90s.

Reactions: Bru and Unitsn4

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Big time aviation enthusiast here. Mainly only interested in warbirds and modern military though. I’ve gone to OSH for 6 years and volunteer there as well. I actually went to SNF for the first time this year. It was a good show but I’m not sure I’d do it again.

few other shows on my bucket list are Reno, planes of fame and Thunder over Michigan.

few vids I made from SNF this year

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I want to try Sun N Fun at least once myself. What didn't you like about it? You made some really nice videos there. That is the first time I have seen a Mustang and Corsair fly together in formation.

I mainly deal with GA aircraft but I do also love warbirds and military. Have you checked out the Military Museum in Dayton Ohio. I walked around there for hours looking at all the modern military and Vietnam era aircraft. There is a place that will take you up in a L-39 that I have put on my bucket list.

Reno I definitely want to see that one day up and close. I haven't heard about the other 2 you mentioned and checked out another video you have on YT at the Henry Ford Museum. That is another one I haven't heard of. I'm glad to be learning other aviation events/locations that I want to check out.

Big time aviation enthusiast here. Mainly only interested in warbirds and modern military though. I’ve gone to OSH for 6 years and volunteer there as well. I actually went to SNF for the first time this year. It was a good show but I’m not sure I’d do it again.

few other shows on my bucket list are Reno, planes of fame and Thunder over Michigan.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
You have a nice collection of videos both aviation and cars/trucks! I will check them out this weekend of the airshows and museums.

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I want to try Sun N Fun at least once myself. What didn't you like about it? You made some really nice videos there. That is the first time I have seen a Mustang and Corsair fly together in formation.

I mainly deal with GA aircraft but I do also love warbirds and military. Have you checked out the Military Museum in Dayton Ohio. I walked around there for hours looking at all the modern military and Vietnam era aircraft. There is a place that will take you up in a L-39 that I have put on my bucket list.

Reno I definitely want to see that one day up and close. I haven't heard about the other 2 you mentioned and checked out another video you have on YT at the Henry Ford Museum. That is another one I haven't heard of. I'm glad to be learning other aviation events/locations that I want to check out.

Mainly just the cost of travel to get there. Oshkosh is practically in our backyard (relatively speaking). It was kinda one of the things in my bucket list too and after an entire year of evertything getting canceled with covid I said fuck it and decided to attend.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Yeah Sun N Fun been on my list for awhile. That is a long distance but we go there for Mickey so we can surely make that haul to check out some planes lol.

Have you ever seen the old Fantasy of Flight collection/museum by Kermit Weeks. I somehow stumbled on it awhile back near Disney and while I was checking out the large collection of flyable WWII planes a guy came up and talked to my wife and played with my daughter a really friendly and low key dressed in old jeans and t shirt that turns out to be the owner. It used to be one of the largest (150 IIRC) private collection of vintage military planes.

Mainly just the cost of travel to get there. Oshkosh is practically in our backyard (relatively speaking). It was kinda one of the things in my bucket list too and after an entire year of evertything getting canceled with covid I said fuck it and decided to attend.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I used to fly out of Lansing when the kids were smaller but ran out of time so been inactive for years. I plan on renewing my medical and getting back into it since my buddy recently got a Grumman Tiger he keeps at Bult field that he don't fly. That's why I have been asking anyone here do GA flying to see if anyone interested.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
From my understanding that developer builds airports then sells them to the state for millions. It is my understanding that is his second airport. Maybe it was sold during the time in question. All I know is back in 2004-2010 when I was actively flying in that area I don't recall a Bult field. I don't know if it was smaller then, or renamed since or maybe wasn't built yet. It's a really nice airport from what I see. I haven't seen any FBO's or restaurants like Lansing had but it is a modern facility equipped smaller airport.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
TCG's first partnership with a half-mile racing promoter was at Bult. I think once it was sold to the state, the opportunity to close the runway for half-mile racing vanished, as did that promotor. This was 2012/2013.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Wow didn't know that! How developed was it then? Now it has a huge office that was rumored to have been his house and I believe 2 runways and several rows of hangars and automated fuel pumps.

TCG's first partnership with a half-mile racing promoter was at Bult. I think once it was sold to the state, the opportunity to close the runway for half-mile racing vanished, as did that promotor. This was 2012/2013.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info