Worst – 1975 Corvette Stingray
Best - C7 Corvette Z06
Worst - 1979 Corvette L48
Best - 1970 Corvette LT1
Worst - 1983 Corvette
Best - 2001 thru 2004 Corvette Z06
Worst - Corvette Pace Cars
Best - 1990 thru 1995 Corvette ZR-1

The Covette is one of the most iconic cars in American automotive history. Its genesis was way back in 1953 and the famous sports car is now on its seventh generation. It has remained a staple of American muscle and is perhaps the most recognizable car that the US produces.

Over the past 60 years, Chevrolet has produced a lot of Corvettes – more than 1.3 million across six generations, in fact. During that time, it has set the tone of the entire Chevy line and given the Americans a car to compete with the Porsches, Audis and Mercedes-Benzes that often dominate the sports car conversation. All in all, it has been and continues to be a very important vehicle.

So, in celebration of the Corvette, we’ve put together a list of what we feel are the best and worst of America’s sportscar. Click on through for a brief tour of the Corvettes that are the most memorable and those that are forgettable. Do you agree with the choices?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Hate to be that guy (I just googled the above car), but what really makes that car so special? I mean outside it being a 63 z06? I mean somebody ordered a sports car with a 36 gallon fuel tank, that to me doesn't make it special.

It was the reintroduction of factory Corvette racing involvement after a ban on racing. The original Z gave the finger to European competitors like the E-type and was the start of a racing resurgence for Corvette. 63 was also the first year of IRS, which, of course, has been a staple of the car for decades. It's the epitome of the 63, which in itself was a revolutionary design.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
It was the reintroduction of factory Corvette racing involvement after a ban on racing. The original Z gave the finger to European competitors like the E-type and was the start of a racing resurgence for Corvette. 63 was also the first year of IRS, which, of course, has been a staple of the car for decades. It's the epitome of the 63, which in itself was a revolutionary design.

Okay so the first link I read said nothing about racing the car, it only said that some guy ordered one special. I was thinking what is so special about that.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
1963 Z06 tanker needs to be on that list.

Hate to be that guy (I just googled the above car), but what really makes that car so special? I mean outside it being a 63 z06? I mean somebody ordered a sports car with a 36 gallon fuel tank, that to me doesn't make it special.

^This

Sure it had an IRS. And shitty drum brakes. I kind of agree with the above. Other than the huge tank there isn't much special there. Not for a person looking to buy a production Corvette. Only 200 built because who wanted a 36 gallon fuel tank for a production car? lol

It is cool that it helped them get back to being competitive in racing. But don't think there is much special there.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
^This

Sure it had an IRS. And shitty drum brakes. I kind of agree with the above. Other than the huge tank there isn't much special there. Not for a person looking to buy a production Corvette. Only 200 built because who wanted a 36 gallon fuel tank for a production car? lol

It is cool that it helped them get back to being competitive in racing. But don't think there is much special there.

The people who bought those cars then went and competed with them in sanctioned races. The suspension was completely retooled (springs, shocks, sway bars) and yeah, it had drum brakes, but beefed up ones with improved cooling. They still probably sucked :rofl: Vettes didn't have discs until 65.

This is a pretty comprehensive explanation:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA...evrolet-Corvette-Z06-Tanker-Race-Car/4-Speed/

1963-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-PLACEMENT1-626x417.jpg

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Best and worst Corvette models of all time

Best - 1967 Corvette Sting Ray L88
Worst – 1975 Corvette Stingray
Best - C7 Corvette Z06
Worst - 1979 Corvette L48
Best - 1970 Corvette LT1
Worst - 1983 Corvette
Best - 2001 thru 2004 Corvette Z06
Worst - Corvette Pace Cars
Best - 1990 thru 1995 Corvette ZR-1

The 75 is actually kick ass, it just needs a couple small adjustments like heads, cam, intake, it's been through half a dozen carburetors, 3:73 gears, Hurst shifter..... Etc

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The people who bought those cars then went and competed with them in sanctioned races. The suspension was completely retooled (springs, shocks, sway bars) and yeah, it had drum brakes, but beefed up ones with improved cooling. They still probably sucked :rofl: Vettes didn't have discs until 65.

This is a pretty comprehensive explanation:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA...evrolet-Corvette-Z06-Tanker-Race-Car/4-Speed/

1963-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-PLACEMENT1-626x417.jpg

i helped on that project, it was awesome, that car was really well documented... those pics were actually taken the sunday after the seattle auction as the auction broke down. the car was on display there, to be sold at monterrey in august... iirc the pics were taken super close to centurylink field in some back alley... 1.5 million dollar vintage vette just roaming the city streets :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

Larger gas tank, different shocks, spring rates and lighter aluminum wheels. Same engine, trans, brakes and gearing. They typical person going into a dealership isn't going to see a need for a huge tank like that. Obviously by the number of units sold that is the case. Again, cool option and made it easier to get into competition. But better than a 67 L88? No way.

Simple top end porting and headers get you ~ 400rwhp/375rwtq. There are
441CI NA versions running around here in Chicago doing 10.3s.
Terrific motor that looks good too. You can actually find decent examples of this car in the mid-teens to low 20's.

Building a stroker short block isn't cheap. Neither are cams. But they can be built to perform. No doubt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info