auto racing helmets

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
sa2015 the way to go with the 10 years plus i believe all are ready for a HANS now.

my prior helmet was a bell, current is a pyrotect. nice thing about this one is removable padding to wash, although i have yet to take advantage of that option... although i probably should.

mine is matte black - suction cups do not stick to it well, vs. the smooth white stuff. maybe a consideration for you if you wish to kart and not permanently affix something. if i want to top mount my camera i actually have to use mounts them toss them away as i won't fit into my car well with the mounts. also if you want to have it painted i think white is the way to go.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I really like Simpson's lineup of helmets. They fit well and they are easy to get parts for (ie. new shield, hardware, etc.)

I currently have an SA2005 Simpson Voyager and it has served me well for the last few years.

Since it expires this season, I just ordered an SA2015 Carbon Bandit. I'll be using it for some road racing, autoX, and drag racing. Since it will be good for 10 years, i decided to try out carbon fiber for its lighter weight. It's on back order for another week, so I can't comment on it yet. A lot of SA2015 helmets haven't shipped yet.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
i like the visor to block my eyes from wind or things. even moreso on karts if you ever do that. seems safer for my facespace if i smash it into something too.

in the US it seems like the rule all places is windows fully down

Occasional karting is definitely a good reason to get a full face helmet. I only go Karting a couple times a year, but it's nice having my own helmet. I'm a germophobe and wouldn't want to use a rental helmet. A full face SA2015 will be accepted for any type of racing for the next 10 years.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just bought a Racequip SA2015 closed face Pro15-frp. Padding is tight but not very comfortable. Gets the job done alright and feels better than the motorcycle helmet I previously wore. Racequip is a sponsor at Road America and I'm up here now so bought one at their gift shop. Was nice to try on a bunch too. Good selection.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
  • Many groups require eye protection. Full Face helmets have that built in with the visors. Open Face helmets require safety glasses. Usually sunglasses suffice, but if the air-bag goes off, do you want the glasses slammed into your face? A full face helmet will protect you from the airbag as much as it will protection you from everything else your face might hit in a car.
  • Removable liner, that would be nice to have, my current Racequip doesn't have one, so I religiously use head socks and make everyone who borrows it wear one. Keeps the liner mostly clean. Its something I forgot about when I bought my SA2015. I generally store it with a dryer sheet to keep it smelling fresh.
  • SA > M. SA is rated for multiple impacts + other things like better fire protection. There is a list out there if you google it.
  • SA2015 > SA2005 is worthless for any organized event. You'd only have 6 months with the helmet so unless you are getting it for free its not worth anything. If you are just looking for a helmet to tool around on say a dirt bike, quad, or snowmobile then a used SA2005 would be fine. The materials are good for quite a bit longer than the 10-12 years the rating lasts. They still offer plenty of protection.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I just bought a Racequip SA2015 closed face Pro15-frp. Padding is tight but not very comfortable. Gets the job done alright and feels better than the motorcycle helmet I previously wore. Racequip is a sponsor at Road America and I'm up here now so bought one at their gift shop. Was nice to try on a bunch too. Good selection.

You are at RA? I hate you. I can't ever get enough of that track.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
i like the visor to block my eyes from wind or things. even moreso on karts if you ever do that. seems safer for my facespace if i smash it into something too.

in the US it seems like the rule all places is windows fully down

Yeah, its odd.

Drag racing requires windows up. Road Racing requires windows down.

I can understand some of the reasons. Windows up would keep your arms from flailing outside the car. But at the same time, if you are in a crash where your arms flailing outside the car might happen, chances are you are in a roll and the windows are going to shatter anyways.

But the other side is the windows will likely shatter and the debris will go everywhere (another plus for a full face helmet). If the windows are down they won't shatter all over you.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've heard windows down so they could get you out more quickly if they need to. it's been windows down at all tracks i've been to here, which really, isn't that much and only chicagoland.

i have been on tracks in other countries though which have had rules of at least halfway up or just up, and the reasoning appeared to be so that your hands and arms would be kept in the car should some shit happen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info