August 3, 2020: Autobahn Country Club II (Joliet, IL) [Full 3.56 Mile Course] - “Monday at The Bahn”

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Up to date helmet, clear fluids for the brakes, nothing leaking, no loose ball joints or any of that shit. Tech is kinda meh right now because they want to minimize interactions with people, at WMHM you fill out your own tech form, basically stating all of your shit is good to go and they just trusted us. I think the most important part is the helmet being up to date and checking the TQ of your lugnuts after every session.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
In the past you were able to download the inspection form. They allow you to take the car to a shop to have all the areas visually inspected. The shop fills out the firm and signs it. Then you don't have to wait in line for tech and know you are good to go ahead of time. It's an added cost but not a bad idea if it's your first time HPDE or don't work in your own car.

If you are capable of checking all the systems in your car, download the inspection form and go through everything yourself. So you know you are good to go when you get there.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
I think i might sign up for intermediate next time. So many cars were getting stacked up, especially in the early sessions. I’m not that fast but I know I could go under three minutes. Here is a video of a lap that I didn’t get held up too much.
What kind of lap times are people running in thermediste?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it is more about etiquette than lap times. eg. you see people coming and let them by and they do the same for you, so you don't end up stacking up into trains. with full track there is so much space that there should be minimal disruption to any laps. was that your first time there? great lines if so! if looking to compare potential, ideally you can find someone else with your same car and maybe some similar mods to get in the ballpark of lap times. there is a tcg lap time thread here, occasionally visited - https://www.thechicagogarage.com/threads/the-chicago-garage-top-ten-lap-times-road-courses.149869/

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
This did happen... Parts store axle came apart so randomly on my cool down lap.

XzfgykY.jpg

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
It was my third time out there this year. Its been a learning experience everytime. First time in early June i did a lead follow. Second time i had instructor in car but only had a couple sessions before mechanical issues. This time i was on my own.
My second time out i had bad brake pads. I wore through them in two 30 minute sessions. Yesterday i had good track pads, good motul high temp fluid and felt way more confident in the brakes. However, my rotors were cracking up so i missed the last session. I had drilled/slotted rotors from powerstop. They said they are fine for track use. They were wrong. Luckly i brought the "track day" rotors which are just beefy solid rotors with me so i was able to change them out and get home.
I ran out of gas on the cool down lap :oops:. This was embarrassing. I brought 5 gallons of gas with me. I was thinking about putting it in before the session but I was showing just over a 1/4 tank. when the car shut down the needle wasn't on the E line. So lesson learned there...don't push it. I don't think the computer really calculates usage right when you are getting 5 mpg. Thankfully they were able to get me pulled back with little damage to the car which was lucky because i'm lowered and there was no good place to put the strap. I'll be installing some tow hooks before the next event.
I haven't gone off the track yet. I did come pretty close once yesterday. I got a point buy from an instructor doing a lead follow late going into turn 5. The track kinda goes down hill there and i took the inside line and got onto the throttle to aggressively and did a 75mph drift. Thankfully i got it collected and all was well.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info