• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Audio Experts step in

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
14 Tahoe LTZ, was thinking of replacing stock head unit with the Pioneer Avic 8400 NEX. The $999 cost was holding me back, but right now they are offering a $200 rebate, so I'm sold!

Reason for replacing is I plan on throwing my JL 12" W7 and JL 750/1 amp in the Tahoe. Also want the wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto among other features the stock head unit doesnt have.

My question is regarding the idatalink maestro. Is it really necessary? Not much if anything runs thru the head unit on the Tahoe from what I have seen since buying it last week. The only thing I really want to retain is the factory back up camera. I'm pretty sure I can do that without the idatalink maestro.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have the maestro in my 2010. All of the chimes and warnings run thru the headunit on it. If you want to keep steering wheel controls, rear audio controls etc, you’re going to need it. The 14 should be the same as mine being a gmt900 chassis still.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You also get some gauges as well thru it with a pioneer head unit. Not necessary but a cool add on. It’s also programmable thru software for different features as is the most complete kit I’ve found. I had a PAC brand integration box and it sucked so I returned it to amazon.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have the maestro in my 2010. All of the chimes and warnings run thru the headunit on it. If you want to keep steering wheel controls, rear audio controls etc, you’re going to need it. The 14 should be the same as mine being a gmt900 chassis still.

Chimes and warnings might be needed, but from what I saw you have to connect a separate small round speaker, is that correct?

Steering wheel controls can be kept with the correct harness.
Rear audio controls I could care less, nobody will ever use it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Also where is your maestro? I already have to make some room behind the head unit as this particular head unit requires 1/4" more than others. With that being said, space will be at a premium. Wonder if I could put the maestro in the glove box.

i have all these things with a kenwood android auto/carplay head unit

everything fit behind the head unit

albeit snug as FUCK

my kenwood reads obd2 also and shows some neat stuff but i barely use it.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Also where is your maestro? I already have to make some room behind the head unit as this particular head unit requires 1/4" more than others. With that being said, space will be at a premium. Wonder if I could put the maestro in the glove box.
There’s a shelf behind the hvac controls that I put it on. There’s room back there even with the double din. The maestro needed a harness that was like $30 that came with the speaker too. It’s loud, I need to put something over it to quiet it down.

Oh yea It has the obd2 code reader stuff too.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
There’s a shelf behind the hvac controls that I put it on. There’s room back there even with the double din. The maestro needed a harness that was like $30 that came with the speaker too. It’s loud, I need to put something over it to quiet it down.

Oh yea It has the obd2 code reader stuff too.

Where did u mount that speaker and is it needed?
With the Maestro the chimes won’t play thru OEM speakers?

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
our setups may be slightly different, there was no room there for me
Silverado/Sierra dash is a bit different as is the center consoles. The vents are on top of the stereo/hvac center section and sits lower in the Tahoe. I think that’s what opens up the backside a bit more.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Where did u mount that speaker and is it needed?
With the Maestro the chimes won’t play thru OEM speakers?
I mounted the speaker on top of the maestro box in the same spot. Once it’s opened up you’ll see where I’m talking about. I’m going to be adding heated seats soon and will be putting the switches in that little cubby under it so I can snap some pics if you want. You can reach up behind it and feel though where there’s a big void.

You need the speaker. That’s where you turn signals, seat belts and any other chime will come from. They have a pretty easy to use website that’ll show you what you need vs suggest. The maestro is the integration box and I think came with the speaker. The add on wiring kit is what contains your plugs and wiring. Just buy it, it’s ljke $130 for your $50k Tahoe :rofl:

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I mounted the speaker on top of the maestro box in the same spot. Once it’s opened up you’ll see where I’m talking about. I’m going to be adding heated seats soon and will be putting the switches in that little cubby under it so I can snap some pics if you want. You can reach up behind it and feel though where there’s a big void.

You need the speaker. That’s where you turn signals, seat belts and any other chime will come from. They have a pretty easy to use website that’ll show you what you need vs suggest. The maestro is the integration box and I think came with the speaker. The add on wiring kit is what contains your plugs and wiring. Just buy it, it’s ljke $130 for your $50k Tahoe :rofl:

Yeah I'm going to probably get it, and the Tahoe stickered at $62k 4 years ago, paid less than half of that
:bowrofl::bowrofl:

bnr32

Regular
Nov 6, 2013
I used the maestro on my buick / kenwood install. made things easier and programming the button presses was nice if you wanted some custom features. The speaker is a small unit by it'self but its is loud. wrap it or people on the phone via bluetooth will ask you why is your turn signal so loud every time, ha ha.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Here’s a shit pic behind the hvac. There’s a slot behind the double din and then you can see the maestro and the speaker on the shelf behind the hvac.

832062f16dd59140d94fa2e0c9704945.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Here’s a shit pic behind the hvac. There’s a slot behind the double din and then you can see the maestro and the speaker on the shelf behind the hvac.

832062f16dd59140d94fa2e0c9704945.jpg
Forgot to update this. Behind my HAVAC I didn’t have room like that. It was a MFin PITA to tuck all the wires in the back. I didn’t use that speaker as all my warning chimes are still coming thru factory speakers. 3 different antenna adapters and NONE fit, so as of now I have no local radio. I did however retain the factory Sirius radio antenna and plugged that in to the SiriusXM box. 2 things I’m not happy with.

1) OEM Bose speakers sound absolutely horrible at any volume above 20. I spent fucking HOURS playing with settings and customizing the built in EQ. Every other car I have ever installed an aftermarket deck in, it woke up the OEM speakers.

2) My lights including headlights and taillights dim really bad if I have the bass knob turned up halfway and volume halfway on head unit. I have had the same JL 750/1 amp in 3 different cars without a hint of any lights dimming. Thinking possibly weak battery in the truck. I’m assuming being a 2014 it’s probably the original battery.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info