Audi E-tron GT Concept revealed

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
The Audi E-tron GT Concept: Bringing the High-Performance Electric Car Fight to Tesla - The Drive

A visually stunning technology and design study, the E-Tron GT foretells a model that will go into series production in 2020 for the 2021 model year. Fender-to-fender with the Porsche Taycan, with which the GT shares technology R&D, and alongside two sister EVs, the GT will challenge Tesla on the ground where the Silicon Valley e-heartthrob first made its bones: the high-performance grand touring car space.

Using EV technology developed in collaboration with Porsche, the E-tron GT will be the first performance-oriented EV to be launched under Audi Sport. (To better make the point, a press release noted the GT will represent the “future of electric performance for the brand.”) Two axle-mounted synchronous electric motors, placed front and rear, provide a system total of 434 kilowatts (590 horsepower), 235 more than Audi's E-tron SUV announced earlier this year. A yet-unknown quantity of torque is delivered to all four wheels, with vectoring applied front-to-rear and side-to-side.

The GT’s specs are eerily similar to those Porsche has indicated for its own Taycan (formerly Mission E). Audi says the GT can get from zero to 60 in 3.5 seconds and to 124 mph in 12 seconds, and tops out at 149 miles per hour. (Porsche says the Taycan will hit the typical 155 mph German-car ceiling) Audi released few details on the suspension, but confirmed the GT has four-wheel steering, presumably derived from Porsche’s rear-steer system.
More pics in the link.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Only took the German's a decade to catch the trail blazing American's Tesla!

I will hand it to Audi though...this does look better than the Model S.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
This looks absolutely fantastic, but the name is terribke. I am curious the range this has, but maybe I missed it. I am sure this will be priced in 6 figures

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Well its a concept name so maybe it will change :dunno:

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Name is definitely garbage, but you've gotta assume Audi would fall in line with its usual naming convention for production. Maybe E8?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
it is taking everyone else a surprisingly long time to actually bring some competition to market in this space.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
Usually high end cars do nothing for me. Usually Meh.

But wowza! That Audi is sexy!

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
it looks very nice . Finally nice looking EV vehicle

lastls1

Reaction score
It’s a concept lol. The looks always change.

And if it does end up looking like that it will be 6 figures for sure.... so relax lol

lastls1

Reaction score
This looks absolutely fantastic, but the name is terribke. I am curious the range this has, but maybe I missed it. I am sure this will be priced in 6 figures

Says the range is 248 miles from a 90kw battery pack? That’s not gunna beat Tesla unless it’s priced a lot better. The 90kw Tesla did 296 or some odd miles back in the day.

That’s less miles than my 75 kw Tesla gets.

The 100kw does 335 miles (Tesla’s)

lastls1

Reaction score
I wonder if these cars can use the Tesla charging stations.

Unless they make some sort of agreement no. When you plug into the Tesla station it uses the car to authorize the charge via the Internet connection. Plugging it into a non Tesla does nothing people have tried.

MikeyLikesIt

2015 Acura MDX
Reaction score
Says the range is 248 miles from a 90kw battery pack? That’s not gunna beat Tesla unless it’s priced a lot better. The 90kw Tesla did 296 or some odd miles back in the day.

That’s less miles than my 75 kw Tesla gets.

The 100kw does 335 miles (Tesla’s)
It's the same as the i-pace then. They compared a 2 row i-pace to a 3 row X 75D and the Tesla was faster and had a longer range. I admit the Audi looks good though.

lastls1

Reaction score
It's the same as the i-pace then. They compared a 2 row i-pace to a 3 row X 75D and the Tesla was faster and had a longer range. I admit the Audi looks good though.

It’s not going to be enough though. The Tesla already looks great. It’s one of the reasons it sells because it looks like a luxury car not a space ship.

If other manufacturers are going to compete they have to offer more range or at least equal range. (But more range to really compete in the market)

If they don’t then they really shouldn’t bother making the car honestly.

MikeyLikesIt

2015 Acura MDX
Reaction score
I agree, I wonder why Telsa can go farther and faster with less battery compared to competitors that studied Tesla's before they went into the EV market.

Could it be Tesla's are an engineering marvel? :wavey:

lastls1

Reaction score
I agree, I wonder why Telsa can go farther and faster with less battery compared to competitors that studied Tesla's before they went into the EV market.

Could it be Tesla's are an engineering marvel? :wavey:

Honestly it could be weight, could be components and aerodynamics. The model S already has one of the lowest drag coefficients. When they updated the look of the S from the older style it improved its range even more because of less drag.

I’m sure there is a ton that goes into that factor. Bottom line is this car is not the answer to Tesla that’s for sure.

Especially since they have no charging network to support its subpar range

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
It’s not going to be enough though. The Tesla already looks great. It’s one of the reasons it sells because it looks like a luxury car not a space ship.

If other manufacturers are going to compete they have to offer more range or at least equal range. (But more range to really compete in the market)

If they don’t then they really shouldn’t bother making the car honestly.
i don't get it, in one thread 248 is of course enough, and charging is never remotely inconvenient, yet in here ohp this thing just can't compete unless it can do 300?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i don't get it, in one thread 248 is of course enough, and charging is never remotely inconvenient, yet in here ohp this thing just can't compete unless it can do 300?
you don't own one, you're not allowed to have an opinion.

jason05gt

Reaction score
So my opinion is that Tesla better watching their backs and be working on the next generation of vehicles and figure out mass production. This has a beautiful interior and exterior, something that luxury car buyer look for in purchases. The only thing that Audi lacks is efficiency compared to Tesla, but everywhere else this looks to meet or exceed the Model S.

I wonder if Audi will bring their Level 3 automation to the US with this vehicle?

jason05gt

Reaction score
I’m sure there is a ton that goes into that factor. Bottom line is this car is not the answer to Tesla that’s for sure.

Especially since they have no charging network to support its subpar range
Come on, take those Elon Musk fan boy glasses off. There's a lot of things that are superior to the S, as I pointed out the design and execution of the entire vehicle.

Design-Goes to Audi
Interior-Hands down Audi
Safety-That will be a toss up. I'd venture that both are very safe.
Performance-Tesla, by a slim margin.
Autonomy-Tesla as Audi hasn't released their Level 3 tech in the US. If they do, they will be on par with Tesla.
Range-Tesla
Charging-Tesla

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
The Tesla looks good. But let's face it, when this car comes out it will look fresh and new. Even if it looks slightly different than this concept. The Model S is going to look very similar to an 8 or 9 year old car. With what seems no real plan for any major updates for the S any time soon.

Once there is competition in the market, Tesla is probably going to need to make some major design changes to have a fresh look like the major manufacturers do ever so often.

Then since the US seems to love SUV & pickup trucks, the Rivian R1T could be another one to take away from Tesla sales. $69K starting price. They are saying 400 mile range, 180-kilowatt-hour battery, 3.0 second 0-60mph, 11,000 pound towing capacity, lots of cargo spac, and looks damn good to me.

lastls1

Reaction score

It’s fine for the Tesla.... and let me explain. Because of the vast supercharger network, as well as the Tesla destination charger network it’s perfectly fine. For me I’m never more than a short trip to a supercharger and I can take my car anywhere on a road trip. Plug into the nav, hit the superchargers and go.

This car (unless they start building their own network) has no way to fast charge unless it’s at the mercy of charge points or other quicker chargers that are few and far between.

Or they partner with Tesla, they pay a fee to use the network and assist Tesla with building the superchargers at an even quicker rate and bigger stations.

For normal driving sure it’s fine. Charge at home, charge at the store etc. but if you want to take a trip. All you range haters and EV skeptics will be proven right. This car cannot due a road trip with the current support that it has.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom