At my wits' end with this trans...

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
No problemo dude. I had the biggest headaches with the 4t65ehd transmissions that ended up being the reason why I got out of the platform. I hope you get it all squared away with minimal problems. KJ seems to be the guy with the freakin golden transmission. HOW KJ...HOWWWWW

I don't blame you. I swore when I got the last bolts tightened on the trans this time around that if I had another god damn problem with it, I'd be going straight to a stock 4T80. I thought I'd at least get a season out of it before it broke though. :roflpicard:

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
could your issue be that its a 97 trans? wasnt that the bastard model year?

grab that TEP trans from sleeper and sell yours off for what you paid. trouble free at no end cost. put your pride for C-YA aside, you have had really nothing but trans issues from day 1.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
IIRC Dropping it in 1 and 2 uses a different apply (read not the forward band used in 1st gear in D mode) than 3 and D.... So you will get different results. This is why manually shifting isn't a good idea. This is also why a forward band failure causes 3 and D to fall out, but 1 and 2 will still work.

P.S. (Also IIRC) The forward band that fails is used only in first gear, so going manual 2 to the "3" on the shifter should result in 3rd gear, until you slow down enough for 1st to try and engage.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
The fact that it's a 97 is irrelevant. The only solenoid replaced is the TCC and the correct valve body is attached. Solenoids (and PWM) and valve body are the primary non-compatible elements and it's got the right ones in it.

IIRC Dropping it in 1 and 2 uses a different apply (read not the forward band used in 1st gear in D mode) than 3 and D.... So you will get different results. This is why manually shifting isn't a good idea. This is also why a forward band failure causes 3 and D to fall out, but 1 and 2 will still work.

P.S. (Also IIRC) The forward band that fails is used only in first gear, so going manual 2 to the "3" on the shifter should result in 3rd gear, until you slow down enough for 1st to try and engage.
I'm going to try getting to third with manual shifting tonight to see what happens. If it works, I'm gonna go to GLD and thrash the piss out of it anyways. What's not a good idea about manual shifting???

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
The fact that it's a 97 is irrelevant. The only solenoid replaced is the TCC and the correct valve body is attached. Solenoids (and PWM) and valve body are the primary non-compatible elements and it's got the right ones in it.

I'm going to try getting to third with manual shifting tonight to see what happens. If it works, I'm gonna go to GLD and thrash the piss out of it anyways. What's not a good idea about manual shifting???

If your just cruising, it's fine, but if your racing it, you go from max line pressure on manual 2nd to standard line pressure in 3rd, the computer doesn't automatically know that's what you did, it has a delay while figuring out what gear to go in that causes a bigger than normal Rev up durring the shift. Then as it is engaging, this causes a shock load on the trans (like when the tires suddenly grab after a burnout) . You may be fine with the upgraded hard parts, but just something to be aware of.

I've also heard stories of it going back into 2nd and bouncing off the limiter before shifting to 3rd, so it may be a slow run, and make sure to your limiter is set properly.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
If your just cruising, it's fine, but if your racing it, you go from max line pressure on manual 2nd to standard line pressure in 3rd, the computer doesn't automatically know that's what you did, it has a delay while figuring out what gear to go in that causes a bigger than normal Rev up durring the shift. Then as it is engaging, this causes a shock load on the trans (like when the tires suddenly grab after a burnout) . You may be fine with the upgraded hard parts, but just something to be aware of.

I've also heard stories of it going back into 2nd and bouncing off the limiter before shifting to 3rd, so it may be a slow run, and make sure to your limiter is set properly.

Thanks for the extra information. The test drive yesterday went much better than expected and the manual shift from 2nd to 3rd was strong and crisp with no lag. I didn't WOT it, but normal driving went ok. I was kinda surprised. I found that it would not actually ever go into 1st however. The trans range switch recognized 1st gear as selected, but there was no shift when the shifter moved to 2nd and the scanner showed 2nd. So, mostly due to that, it's getting parked and ripped apart again.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
LOL I have no pride, respect, or kind words for C-Ya Racing. What I do have is a lot of money tied up in this piece of hardware with parts that will break in any other trans and the knowledge and tools to fix it.

Mike Dye? Or the other dude that took over?

I forget, was the 97 trans vacuum controlled, or was that just the GT?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Mike Dye? Or the other dude that took over?

I forget, was the 97 trans vacuum controlled, or was that just the GT?
Mike Dye left me out to dry. The other dude was Ray who was mostly just slanging business for that hack Mike.

All the GPs were 4T65E as far as I know. I don't think there were any vacuum controlled transmissions in the GP starting in at least 97.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yeah Miker left a few people out to dry. Sucks to hear though.

THe 97 GTs and SEs that were NA 3.8 powered used the 4T60E instead of the 65, and those were vac controlled. They made that change in 98 and moved them to the 4T65E. I checked after I made that post. My bad. Sorry for the confusion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info